What's new

Suggestions for 2nd DE Razor?

Hi folks!I'm looking to purchase a 2nd DE razor,moving on from my Merkur 34c HD.It's a good little razor, and seemingly the most common intro razor for most people.The only issue I have with it after 7 months of use is that it's a bit small and sometimes my hand cramps up a bit using it.Therefore, I would like to purchase something a bit longer and I've been looking at a couple of razors including the Edwin Jagger DE89(also the DE89811BL Octagonal variant),the Merkur 23c and the Merkur Progress Long Handle.So,if you have any experience with these razors or any other potential razor you think is worth a mention, let me know cheers!

Vintage Gillette. Classic style and bullet proof quality. Consider a Super Speed, a Slim or Fat boy adjustable, or go really retro with a New.

Ye I'm not opposed to a slant.Any suggestions on that front?The site I use here in Ireland only has a few like the Merkur 37c but I wouldn't know too much about them

I have the Shavecraft 102 slant and it is smooth as silk yet very, very efficient. Gives me an incredibly close shave. "nick shaves" on youtube just did a video review of it. Check it out.

The vintage Gillette slim or super adjustable (short) have nice long handles (3.5") that fit a 3 finger grip really well.

Vintage Gillette. Classic style and bullet proof quality. Consider a Super Speed, a Slim or Fat boy adjustable, or go really retro with a New.

Well said! I honestly think that everyone should own a classic Gillette Super Speed on their collection. The Slim and Fatboy are also classics if you are able to get one without paying a lot for one.

Whatever it is, check out Shaving.ie indoor neighborhood. An Edwin Jagger Stylo or Bulbous comes to mind. Nice shapes, bigger handles and good weight. Great head, too.

Hmmm, razors with longer handles ...
If money is no object, go with an Above the Tie S2 slant with Kronos handle. Or any other ATT with the Kronos handle.
Otherwise, find a Fatboy or Slim on eBay. You know you will buy one eventually, why not now?

You have a modern straight bar, so I would go the opposite way for my second razor: vintage open comb. NEW or Old Type?

Cheers for all the suggestions folks...I started looking at the vintage Gillettes on ebay and I know I'm gonna end up getting one at some stage so I might just go for it now.Down the rabbit hole I go :)

If your hand feels cramped with the 34c, then you might feel better using a thicker handle, rather than a wider handle. I've heard a lot of men with large hands felt better that way. Of the razors you mentioned, I say go for the Long Handled Progress if it's in your budget. You should be able to easily dial it in to something similar to the 34c, which you know you already like, and you can open it up more if you want to try something a little different. You can't go wrong with a vintage Gillette adjustable either. I love my Fatboy, but it's very close to my sweet spot of around 3.3" handle length.

I would recommend buying a Cadet or Pearl (same exact head) open comb razor. If you've been wet shaving for a while and have the technique down, you will be thrilled with the shave the OC gives you. Plus, they are super-affordable. Do a search for reviews of the Cadet OC on this site. I'll second the previous comment about thicker handles; Cadet and Pearl both offer razors with more bulbous handles that you might like. If you find the OC too aggressive, you can just save it for weekends or special occasions, or sell it since (I would assume) it will have a good resale value in the marketplace. Whether or not you like the OC, you can always buy an Edwin Jagger and use its head on your new bulbous handle. Either way, you'll probably never touch that Merkur again.

Last edited:
I started with a 34C, and during the first week or so my hand was cramping up. Turned out, for me at least, it wasn't the handle but my grip that was causing the problem. Someone mentioned resting the bottom of the handle on their pinky finger as part of the grip, so I started doing that, and ever since then I've been able to have steady control of standard short handles without any cramping.

Not to say that a long handle won't work better for you, but keep in mind that for many decades, most razors had the "short" style handle the 34C has, and it worked well.

Top Bottom