What's new

Born to be alive!

Hello all,
I'm new new new new! to this DE & SE shaving thing. I accidentally stumbled across wet shaving somehow on the net and have been trying out some brushes, soaps, and so on. I'm starting to figure out what I think I like and don't like and really, really close to trying to make my first purchase to try it out. I'm cheap so I have been reading reviews on Amazon and a few other sites then stumbled across this cool site with an active community. Whod've thunk??? Awesome. So I'll try not to get overwhelmed with the tons of info here and try to figure out where to start (DE razor is my notable next step with 2 sitting in my shopping cart now.) I want to start cheap and if I get it, go from there. My skin is soft so I cut easily.
You guys are amazing that you take the time to post and help out all of us new at this. I'm not even new - I haven't started yet.

Let the fun begin!
Steve in Florida
Love your title heading, it is from Patrick Hernandez who is Spanish but born in France. He had a major dance hit with the song. He hired a young Madonna as dancer in his tour

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you guys. Love the Yanks! Alex, yes...loved the song but the video was in my opinion embarrassingly bad! I did not know about the Madonna part-interesting.

Thank you guys. Love the Yanks! Alex, yes...loved the song but the video was in my opinion embarrassingly bad! I did not know about the Madonna part-interesting.
Here is a nice review with the Madonna reference;
Patrick Hernandez didn't have one of the biggest, most iconic one-hit-wonder disco smashes, but he did have one of the best. 1979's hypnotic, gold-selling "Born to Be Alive" reached number 16 on the Top 40 pop chart, yet it's not often cited as one of the genre's definitive songs. It doesn't show up on many disco compilations either, with 1993's Double Knit Dance Hits being an exception.

The song is, of course, the centerpiece of its parent album, Born to Be Alive. With the full seven-and-a-half minute album version, you get more of what makes the swirling song a winner over the edited single. The vocals of Hernandez(a Frenchman of Spanish, Austrian, and Italian heritage) are infectious, but the deftly arranged musical hooks tie the song together -- nimble guitar lines and dramatic dive-bomb power chords, three-chord piano fills, pulsating synthesizer, multi-tracked handclaps, hyperactive percussion, crisp strings, and siren-like horns.

Most disco artists' albums tended to have the hit surrounded by filler, professionally performed by studio musicians and expertly crafted by the producer and arranger, but filler nonetheless.Born to Be Alive basically follows that well-worn path. "You Turn Me On," a duet with Herve Tholance, is brightly tinged with calypso and Latin touches, but it only temporarily delays the descent of Born to Be Alive into repetitive formula. But give the title track its due. On a historical note, Madonna performed with Hernandez as a dancer early in her career before achieving superstardom.

He's quite a character this Patrick Hernandez. I followed your link to see the video and next to it was a link to the PH of today (ish) with Lorie (A French singer.) What a treat (yes, the song also :) ) ....he still doesn't move and carries that silly walking stick but it was fun to watch.

I'm not much of a Madonna fan though I respect talent so will have a look, thanks for the tip.

Thad, I think I already mentioned that I suffer greatly when it comes to decision making.

I stretched a little when I said I'm cheap. I'm actually a passionate value-seeker. Probably borderline obsessive. No, not probably. My name is Steve and I'm an addict. I spend tons of energy finding the best value-based product in whatever I'm searching then I go nuts trying to find the best price. Often, the best value is the most expensive. Not always but sometimes. I'm ok with that. However, I find the least expensive one.
The point? Thanks for the specific recommendations (Semogue 620, EJ Kelvin, and (whatever fraudulent vendor is the best chance currently at getting a) Rimei 2003 from Amazon.)

Razor: Any variant of Weishi, e.g., Baili brand, under $10
Blades: Local store brand if just trying things out. Otherwise, Astra, Shark, Derby, et al, under $10 per box of 100.
Cream or soap: Arko, $2.50 to $4.50 for either.
Pre shave oil (optional): Shave Secret at Walmart, under $4.00, American Crew $8 to $10 online.
Brushes: Slight irregulars up to Silvertip badger, heisheng1983 or other Chinese eBay supplier, $5 to $10.
Mug/bowl: Handmade Turkish plated copper with handle, Gartbnx or other eBay/Etsy supplier, google search "copper shaving bowl", $10-$20.
AS Moisturizer/Balm: India Old Spice lotion, under $10, Arko $7.

Unless otherwise specified, all items are available online exclusively. Search Google, eBay, Etsy, or any combination thereof. Getting free shipping is about 50-50 in my experience. Shipment delays may vary from 2 days to 3 1/2 weeks. If you want the store-bought pricey end with a lot of snob value, or if you are seeking to burn through a tax refund; sets of prep oil, cream, balm, and brush are available for about $120 at Art of Shaving.

Last edited:
RetroInOH - great to have these recommendations. It seems they're right up my alley. I will have a look around to see what I find.

Thanks Josh....just getting started.

I will say this - the forum and its threads along with some of Sharpologist videos and a few other YouTube videos have already got me getting some closer shaves though I'm waiting my first DE. It may seem quite silly to some of you but I didn't even "know" that you "could" do more than one pass shaving. I'm learning about brushes and bowls. The last 2 days alone I learned which of my brushes I like. Today I got my best shave with a cartridge....using the same techniques some have described (WTG, ATG, XTG) and multiple lathers. Good stuff folks, thanks.
And I learned how to pronounce some of the names.
Semogue ~= smog. Who'd thunk?

I have: Perfecto badger brush, Perfecto Deluxe chrome stand, Seattle Sundries synthetic brush (had the soap too but it was confiscated from an international shipment,) an Van der Hagen soap/bowl, and two other soaps that I haven't tried yet: Col. Conk Worlds Famous Shaving Soap, Bay Rum and Proraso Shaving Soap, Eucalyptus & Menthol. A Microtouch is on the way...let's see.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Welcome to B&B Steve, Sounds like you're off to a great start with that kit. What is your aftershave?

Thanks Okie. Currently using Thayer's WH followed by a CVS AS. LOOKING for a good, non-animal-tested AS and a DE. The DE will be an adventure!

Through a lot of reading and some video reviews, I think I found that I would like to give both the soap and the AES of soap commander a try. ya know, Okie, generally I can't stand jokes about animal testing or causing pain or suffering to animals or children but that was pretty funny.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Through a lot of reading and some video reviews, I think I found that I would like to give both the soap and the AES of soap commander a try. ya know, Okie, generally I can't stand jokes about animal testing or causing pain or suffering to animals or children but that was pretty funny.

Glad you appreciated the joke for what it was, because my intentions would never be to joke about a persons or animals pain or suffering. I am pro animal myself in that regard, even though I enjoy a good steak. But on a serious note, There would be no reason to test animals concerning DE's that are made from metal? Correct?

Last edited:
Love to know other animal lovers. Great stuff.
I did laugh. I agree, no reason for blades...when I mentioned testing, I was talking about the AS since chemicals are often tested. I've seen the piles of alive rabbits with burning eyes. I won't get into it here but I'm just against it.

So, shave on animal-friendly shaver-brother!

Top Bottom