What's new

Born to be alive!

Hello all,
I'm new new new new! to this DE & SE shaving thing. I accidentally stumbled across wet shaving somehow on the net and have been trying out some brushes, soaps, and so on. I'm starting to figure out what I think I like and don't like and really, really close to trying to make my first purchase to try it out. I'm cheap so I have been reading reviews on Amazon and a few other sites then stumbled across this cool site with an active community. Whod've thunk??? Awesome. So I'll try not to get overwhelmed with the tons of info here and try to figure out where to start (DE razor is my notable next step with 2 sitting in my shopping cart now.) I want to start cheap and if I get it, go from there. My skin is soft so I cut easily.
You guys are amazing that you take the time to post and help out all of us new at this. I'm not even new - I haven't started yet.

Let the fun begin!
Steve in Florida

Welcome. I'm pretty new myself. From what I see, this can be as inexpensive or as expensive as you choose to make it. I bought an Omega 10066 boar brush ($9) & an economy blade sampler pack ($6) and Razorock classic soap ($7) from West Coast Shaving and have been happy with the results. I mix my own preshave oil & aftershave so costs, for me, have been minimal. Just keep it basic until you decide if this is for you. Good luck and welcome.

Hello and welcome, Steve. Great to have you here on B&B. This is a super forum full of friendly, helpful shavers and you will learn a lot here.

mswofford

Rest in Peace
Steve; Welcome to B&B! You might want to take a look a "garrys sample shop" website (he's also a B&B member) for a complete starter set at a very resonable price that includes a shave-ready vintage Gillette razor.

Welcome to B&B!

+1 on the Garry's Sample Shop recommendation for a vintage Gillette starter set since you are wanting to go inexpensive.

You might also check out Maggard's Razors as they have starter kits with modern razors.

If you haven't checked out the the "Modern Double-Edged Safety Razors Ranked by Aggressiveness" article in the ShaveWiki, it might be helpful to figure out what modern razors to consider.

Hi all, thanks for the great welcome! Boy I even got some tips from the gate-that's pretty cool. Kyle from Kansas, I surely will check out Maggard's and that article-thanks. Mswofford and Jayroyster - this site sounds like it is right up my alley for starters as it may help me surpass my "analysis paralysis." Ackvil, the Merkur Progress shows up over and over in reviews yet I think as a beginner and a cheapie, maybe I should try it out with a less expensive model first.. I found the $15 Microtouch One and 2 kits on (Please don't whip me for saying this but I am an AA (Amazon Addict) that are safety razor "kits.)" i don't know the protocol on outside links yet so I will include them only if there is interest and it is acceptable. I come. From years of using Gillette before they were swallowed by P&G (I'm not a P&G fan.) I switched over to the DSC and have been using that for a short time. I am currently in possession of a synthetic, a boar, and,badger brushes and for soaps I have a Proraso Eucalyptus, a Col Conk, and had an all-natural that I used twice but was confiscated when shipped home from an international location (argh!) thanks again for the warm welcome.

You're obviously an intelligent one, so I'm going to let you in on a little secret: the Microtouch One is a rebranded, Chinese SuperSpeed clone called "Weishi 9306." You don't need a stand, or the crappy Dorco blades that come in the kit. You need a synthetic or boar brush, if it's to be "cheap," and it's harder for a beginner to damage the synthetic.

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks Nick!
Thad - thank you. I suppose I can fool even the great Thad - I'm not so smart (except to my Mum!)
I've seen the threads indicating that the Microtouch is rebranded. I'm not stuck with brand-envy so I'm ok with that. I won't tell anyone that I have the MTO, not even here on the forums :) ....

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah, I see... I can't read before 10 a.m. and two cups of coffee, apparently. lol If I could go back in time, I'd order Semogue 620, EJ Kelvin, and (whatever fraudulent vendor is the best chance currently at getting a) Rimei 2003 from Amazon.

Top Bottom