What's new

Adjusting Plastic Scales

I have a Ralf Aust 5/8, and it is my first straight. It has the cheap, black plastic scales that some day I may replace with some nice wood scales that I make, but for the time being I'm going to leave them on. The problem I have with them is that when I close the razor I have to be very careful and bend the scales one way to make sure the edge doesn't hit the scales. What is the best way to align the scales? I've read some threads suggesting steam or heat. Would a hair dryer be a good option? I don't want to ruin The scales yet.

Todays plastics are generally quite stable unlike 'plastics' of old. Seems odd that they would shift on their own. Seems like something else may be at play here such as tension from the pinning causing them to shift. You can try very hot water and gently flex them in the opposite direction to get them to shift.
You can also induce tension by peening in opposite directions to get the blade to center but that can be tricky for several reasons . It's not hard to peen too much and cause cracks or if you peen in the wrong direction only make matters worse.

I looked at it again last night, and it doesn't appear to be an issue with the scales. It is definitely the pin. I can visually tell that it is a little off. Id like to adjust it a little if possible, but don't really know how to begin. I'm not afraid of damaging them because I like the idea of making some more appealing scales at some point anyway.

That's what I thought. Just a hunch. Off center pin holes will do it. When the razor gets pinned this causes the tension and causes the scales to flex enough to cause alignment issues. Without seeing it you might try ,gently ,, tapping on the side of the pin as if you were trying to get it "upright" ?
what you'll try to do is to get the tension going in the opposite direction the pin is currently leaning towards. Usually I'll " hook" the opposite side of the pin on an edge of some sort as you tap the facing pin in the opposite direction.
work slow and check often. If you see movement of the blade , one way or the other , this will tell you if you're doing it correctly.

Top Bottom