What's new

Mont Blanc - Too much? Too Soon?

Congrats on your decision. I'm sure you will be tickled with your new MB pen. Great choice and certainly something you can pass along at some time.

Good decision. I have both and I much prefer the Le Grand. It fits better in the hand.
Enjoy it and if wonder about the MB ink, it is very good. I use the brown (Toffee) in my pens and I think it's great.
Vintage MB ink is nice too. I'm rather fond of the greens. You can find Emerald Green on auction sites now and again. Forget about British Racing Green. That's very rare and very expensive.
I would also look at the Pilot Iroshizuku ink. It's beautiful.

Man. The mist expensive pen I have is a Montverde Invincia deluxe "Nighthawk". It was a gouletpens exclusive but they stopped making it. It was just over $100.
Man, I long for an expensive pen.
The nighthawk feels great every time I write with it...

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I think you made the right choice. I have a collection of pens and find myself constantly reaching for one of the nice Pelikans. I would have been just as happy not to collect cheaper pens that I no longer want to use. I've never been disappointed buying quality.

Update: I never got around to ordering the MB last week, but still very interested. Stopped by West Coast Shaving today and picked up a Lamy Safari.

Needed a "rinse and blow" to get it started, but loved how it wrote. Very smooth, and somehow the dribble I was writing, seemed more ... authentic and profound.

I'm gifting the Lamy to my daughter (a part time calligrapher / artist) as soon as my LeGrand arrives.

I stopped by the boutique in Orange County tonight to give it a test run. They had samplers of both the fine and medium nib. I actually preferred the fine, but the gent in the store indicated that the fine really wrote more like a true medium, as his observation is that many of those testing them push down waaaay too hard.

Regardless, they both wrote like a dream. Almost like writing with air, if that makes any sense. Now, I don't have much to compare it too, mainly a rollerball MB and a Ballpoint MB, both of which I love. But the LeGrand FP is in a whole other class. I'm ordering the thing as soon as I get to the office on Monday!

I stopped by the boutique in Orange County tonight to give it a test run. They had samplers of both the fine and medium nib. I actually preferred the fine, but the gent in the store indicated that the fine really wrote more like a true medium, as his observation is that many of those testing them push down waaaay too hard.

Regardless, they both wrote like a dream. Almost like writing with air, if that makes any sense. Now, I don't have much to compare it too, mainly a rollerball MB and a Ballpoint MB, both of which I love. But the LeGrand FP is in a whole other class. I'm ordering the thing as soon as I get to the office on Monday!
Hmm...my MB Legrand is an older model (from 1991-ish) and the medium nib is a true medium. I've never tried a MB fine nib, but recently some guys over at Fountain Pen Network were saying that the recent Meisterstuck 90th anniversary nibs were running wider than normal. Perhaps that has carried over to the nibs of the current production 146's and 149's as well.

And yes...a feather touch is all that's needed. The pen will do the writing. Honestly, when I got into fountain pens, no one told me not to press hard, and I didn't do so, just by instinct. But some people just love to press the nib on the paper.

You guys make me want one of these expensive pens...
but I can't see spending that much.... one day, maybe.... one day.

Top Bottom