What's new

Another Palmolive reformulation.

From my lovely mother I got a Palmolive shaving stick that she bought during a holiday in Germany. When comparing the ingredients with a Palmolive stick I already had I noticed they are different. As far as I know this reformulation is not discussed on here(I did a search). I have not yet used the new stick. Does anyone notice a difference?

$Palmolive formulations.jpg
The old version on the left and the new version on he right.

That is news to me and I guess that any reformulation would hit the shelves in Germany before landing anywhere else. I will certainly check my local stores next time that I am out and about.

Thanks.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
My stick has about 2 years and the formula is exactly as the one on the right. I suppose you wanted to say the new formulation is on the left?

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
From the wiki page, I see the last update (left) on 2011-05-11 when that ingredient list was reported. The previous one (right) is similar to the one noted on 2010-03-27 but not the same.

My stick has about 2 years and the formula is exactly as the one on the right. I suppose you wanted to say the new formulation is on the left?

No I actually meant that the old version is on the left. Although I am not 100 percent sure that is correct.

From the wiki page, I see the last update (left) on 2011-05-11 when that ingredient list was reported. The previous one (right) is similar to the one noted on 2010-03-27 but not the same.

I have three different versions of Palmolive shaving sticks actually. I think the 2011 update on the wiki is of a version that is produced since 2004 at least already because it has a "stiftung warentest" result written on the packaging which was done in 2004. Of this version are packaging's with different graphic designs which both have the "stiftung warentest" result on them(gut(2,2)). The version which I thought was new has the same new graphic design without the test result on it and also another formulation. The third version(formulation wise) I have is from before 2004. Below a picture to illustrate the different versions in what I think is the chronological order from left to right.

$Palmolive versions lines to formulations.jpg
I am not sure these are all the versions since the version on the left in the picture above but this seems to be the chronological order of these three.

@ Marco maybe the two year old version you have is actually the most recent one and it might have been unnoticed?

Judging from those ingredient lists, I would expect the best lather to be the rightmost formulation, followed by leftmost, followed by the middle. The rightmost is a pretty classic type of formula similar to that used by Tabac and Speick - something in the ballpark of 50% stearic, 25% tallow and 25% coconut oil for the fats and more KOH than NaOH for the lye (obviously there's plenty of wiggle room for the exact numbers, but there has to be a good bit more stearic than any other fat for both of its salts to be listed before the potassium salts of the other two fats).

I bought a bunch from a Tesco in September 2014, and they are all the ingredients on the far right. I think it's the only formula I've known and I think it's a good one. Interesting to know it's a reformulation.

I bought 8 sticks back in November from Bullgoose and they all match the far right formulation. They seem to work great for me.

Top Bottom