What's new

Poor Man's Strop question

So, I purchased a Poor Man's strop from Whipped dog, and I have a question . . . after treating the smooth side of the leather with Neatsfoot oil, I am wondering if I should do the same with the other, rougher side.

Can this rougher side be used the same way that the linen on a higher end strop would be used? Or should I just stick with the smooth side?

I don't want to mess up the edge on my Straight, so any advice would be appreciated.

You will get different opinions on this question. If the strop is dry or cracked adding a small amount of needs foot oil is a good thing for both the front and back. I also strop on the back side of my strop. Never encountered a strop or edge problem from this stropping method,

Strop is brand new . . . seems a little stiff out of the packaging, but otherwise fine. Think I will oil it when I get home and see.

Baby steps . . .

Since you already oiled the front side, I would give it a few days. My experience is that the oil will migrate through the leather very well and that less is more when it comes to oil.

Top Bottom