What's new

Schick E-3 first use

I finally got around to trying the E-3 I bought a few weeks ago; not impressed. It didn't shave at all as comfortably as the newer model I used as a teen.

I used new Schick blades (Chinese I assume) and my usual prep and lather and on the plus side I got a DFS in my usual 2 passes with no cuts, nicks, weepers or irritation. I did find the razor extremely sensitive to blade angle, probably due to the lack of any effective guard bar and I did have to do more touch up than usual, I normally don't do any. Overall it was an efficient razor, pretty aggressive if the angle got much over flat on my face and because it is so sensitive I found it challenging around my mouth, under my nose and especially under and around my chin.

It's interesting but I won't be giving up my DE anytime soon.

My biggest problem with the E-series Schick's is that they are just too light in weight. The tendency is to apply a little more pressure to compensate and with a blade that sharp before I know it I get an unintended cut.

I'm curious if the razor was empty (sans blade) when you loaded it? Loading an injector that is empty will often damage the blade edge (new, the razors were shipped loaded with a blank blade to prevent this). If you did load it empty, you might try a new blade (which I know means sacrificing an otherwise new one) and see what you think. But, as you noted, the E is a pretty aggressive razor, so if your regular DE choices are on the medium or milder side, then the E might not be for you. That is the case for me, and I prefer the I and J injectors; they both work well for me.

I'm curious if the razor was empty (sans blade) when you loaded it? Loading an injector that is empty will often damage the blade edge (new, the razors were shipped loaded with a blank blade to prevent this). If you did load it empty, you might try a new blade (which I know means sacrificing an otherwise new one) and see what you think. But, as you noted, the E is a pretty aggressive razor, so if your regular DE choices are on the medium or milder side, then the E might not be for you. That is the case for me, and I prefer the I and J injectors; they both work well for me.
+1 and also send some Pic's of your razor, as it should have a guard bar, that would be a problem if the one you have is missing.

There is a guard bar but the gap between it and the blade edge makes it pretty useless, more for structural support than shaving comfort. There was a blade in the razor which I replaced so the edge should not have been damaged. Not set up for a picture at the moment.

I think the E is just not the razor for me, I use a Standard Razor or Flair Tip SS daily; both pretty mild razors.

There is a guard bar but the gap between it and the blade edge makes it pretty useless, more for structural support than shaving comfort. There was a blade in the razor which I replaced so the edge should not have been damaged. Not set up for a picture at the moment.

I think the E is just not the razor for me, I use a Standard Razor or Flair Tip SS daily; both pretty mild razors.

You're probably right; the E is likely just not a good match for you. That's also the case for me. Given your taste in DE razors (I'm also a Super Speed fan, but haven't tried the Standard), I'd suggest the Type I or J injectors (these share the same head, but have different handles). You'll likely find them a bit more aggressive than the SS, but not by a lot in my experience, and definitely more tame than the E. Or you could go to the Type L, which I find to be a little too mild, but it's still a very good shaving razor. Either way, don't give up on injectors, as they do provide an excellent shaving experience once you find the one that's right for you.

Got pictures?

I held the razor head pretty flat perhaps with that design I should try more of an angle similar to a straight. The blades are sharp but not hollow ground so I don't know if a steeper angle will be very smooth. Any regular E users who could comment on the best angle?

If I can get my camera to work I'll post a couple of photos but they no doubt will look like every other E razor out there.

I held the razor head pretty flat perhaps with that design I should try more of an angle similar to a straight. The blades are sharp but not hollow ground so I don't know if a steeper angle will be very smooth. Any regular E users who could comment on the best angle?...
For me, one of the things that I like about Schick Injector razors is that the head angle seems to be completely intuitive. I couldn't tell you whether I use a steep angle or a shallow one --- it just kind of seems to fall into place without my thinking about it or even being aware of it. I do tend to use, or at least start out with, a fairly shallow angle, no matter what razor I am using, so maybe there is an answer for you.

I have 2 Schick E razors. One, a De Luxe version I find is an excellent shaver but the other standard type is more aggressive and less comfortable to shave with. Close scrutiny of the blade reveals a different amount of exposure which explains the results presumably.

Nice Pic's, I have a couple of E4's, and the blade gap of your pictures look to be the same as the E4.
With any departure from a DE the angle to the face is going to be different.
For me the correct angle is closer to a SE such as a GEM 1912 than any DE.
Light touch, short strokes, and just WTG till you find the just right angle....once found shave on.
Tip: As you may already know injector blades are a bit thicker, stiffer, and very sharp,...all results with a longer blade life as well.
Hope it works out for you.

Last edited:
Top Bottom