What's new

Alcohol or No Alcohol? That is the question.

I use a balm everytime after applying an aftershave, be it Clubman Bay Rum or whatever. Master products I believe have a lotion mixed in to their products. What are the pro's-con's on alcohol based aftershaves? I enjoy all of my Aftershaves (Stephans, Clubman's, Master's, Caribbean, Ogellela, etc) and they are all Alcohol based. But like I said, I always use a balm (Nivea) after about 5 minutes after applying the A/S.

D

doleeo

Depending on the day and how my skin is, I'll sometimes apply a balm after using a splash.

Although, some splashes mouiturize better than others. My Booster's June Clover is one of those that does not require a balm afterwards.

I ran out of aftershave a while ago and needed something for the burn (Im still using an M3 until I can order my slant) so I just used straight isopropyl alcohol and have been using it since.

I'm not sure there is a real substitute for the antiseptic properties of alcohol.

Back in the day, using an electric razor provided me with an unreasonable number of ingrown hairs. At that time I was using a balm which was ultimately useless in preventing these ingrowns from causing infections.

You think run of the mill acne is unsightly? You have no idea ......

I will NEVER be without an alcohol-based AS. Daily.

Alcohol is bad whether You apply it inside or outside. As for antiseptic, you don't really need it for shaving, save it for injections. I only started using AS recently, before that I didn't put aything on my skin and it was ok too. I only use AV for menthol, if there is something better with no alcohol and scent I will stop using it. I just ordered Thayer's AS will hope for the good results. Allthough it got a little alcohol I still think AV has more.

I've recently been using Thayer's Aftershave. It has alcohol and Which Hazel. Now, it not as cooling as some menthol stuff, but it's nice. Plus, no real scent, so I can follow up with 1805 AS and cologne.

Now, sometimes, during drill, I use Gillette AS balm, in the green bottle. It's super cooling (to my sensitive skin).

So both the Thayers and the Gillette have alcohol, but not so much that it really burns. The Thayers is an Antistringent, so maybe if you use Which Hazel you don't need alcohol.

Just like the first cup of coffee for the day, everything is better with alcohol in it. :blush: Seriously though, I enjoy the "burn" and like the feel of my skin after using an alcohol a/s better than anything else I have tried. No greasiness or residual heaviness at all. That and you just know it is more manly. :cool:

I've recently been using Thayer's Aftershave. It has alcohol and Which Hazel. Now, it not as cooling as some menthol stuff, but it's nice. Plus, no real scent, so I can follow up with 1805 AS and cologne.

Now, sometimes, during drill, I use Gillette AS balm, in the green bottle. It's super cooling (to my sensitive skin).

So both the Thayers and the Gillette have alcohol, but not so much that it really burns. The Thayers is an Antistringent, so maybe if you use Which Hazel you don't need alcohol.

I see no point in using any alcohol on your skin after the shave. Unless you got cut. Did you ever tried Aqua Velva? How does Thayer's compare in terms of cooling? I will find out myself sooner or later anyway, but just out of curiosity.

:lol::lol:
Greasiness and film residue are a couple of clues that I had a great weekend :wink2:.

-Ray

but seriously, I think balms and alcohol splashes each have their place...neither one has done damage to my face. Balms can be more soothing, but greasy...splashes don't do this (except Musgo AS if too much is applied). Speick AS has never left any kind of residue. The sting is minimal at worst...and those that burn only do so for a moment (I'm looking at you, Pinaud bay rum).

As to the question about Thayer's being cooling...not any of the ones I've tried, but I haven't tried any mentholated ones so I really couldn't judge. Regular thayer's, however=no cooling.

My wife thinks I'm crazy to put alcohol splashes on my face...but then again she also thinks I'm crazy using soaps/creams with any fragrance whatsoever...and she thinks I'm crazy for caring about shaving at all...maybe I'm just crazy?

Alcohol is the worst thing to put on your face after you shave. You just dragged a blade across it for several minutes essentially causing damage to your skin. I mentioned this some time back as a dermatologist gave me some advice. He told me to use AS products that contain no alcohol. He told me that you want to moisturize and heal your skin since shaving removes essential oils from your skin. Now I will admit that on the odd occaison I do sneak a favorite burner onto my face, but that's pretty rare. I've been following this advice for over a year and there is a hugh difference. Breakouts are rare and my skin feels better. I think it keeps my skin looking a lot younger too. I'm in my mid 30's and most people I meet think I'm about 10 years younger. Like the commercials say though...your results may vary! LOL. :biggrin:

I ran out of aftershave a while ago and needed something for the burn (Im still using an M3 until I can order my slant) so I just used straight isopropyl alcohol and have been using it since.

Wow, there's a few threads that could be gotten out this one! (can I suggest starting with something less aggressive than a slant?)

As for this thread, I only use non-alcoholic aftershave--prefer Thayer's Rose and one of several aftershaves; SCS Milk, L'Occitane Cade blam, Pre de Provence balm.

I think my youthful good looks and skin tone is a direct result of good genes. I mean to tell you, at seventy-five, my grandmother could still turn heads. Thank you Nana. So its alcohol for me (burn baby burn).

In closing I leave you with her fondness commit concering her favorite grandson (thats me) " he is not always a good boy, but he is well trained".

I love alcohol splashes, and would use nothing else- my skin feels infinitely better for it, I enjoy the scent, and the invigorating tingle- what's not to like? I used to try a variety of balms, none did what I wanted- left my skin greasy and spotty, but I couldn't go without, as my skin dries out. So I tried D R Harris Sandalwood, and despite my fears it was amazing, provided just the right moisturisation, my skin felt clean, and it feels so good going on! I use a variety of them, and just add a few drops of glycerine if they aren't moisturising enough.

Top Bottom