What's new

Perfecta

The blade had quite a few scratches across it in all the wrong places but it came out nicely without damaging the wash.
For the scales I picked a complimentary piece of translucent horn that accents the Gold. With the work on the spine I decided to add a small detail to the scales by beveling the edge. Keeping the lines crisp is important here. I made up some triple stacks for the wedge end as I felt a blade/scale this size would support it and did double stacks for the hinge. I also made a white wedge a bit larger than usual so the blade sat deep in the scales with only the spine work visible against the bevel on the scales. And it's neat how clear the scales are that the etch on the blade and the shaft can be read through them. And smooth enough I can read the wattage of my lamp in the reflection!

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 106
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 104
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 104
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 102
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 104
A few more.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 98
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 98
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 98
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 98
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 98
Thank you my friends ! Yeah there is something about this blade that is just "Perfecta". I think I may just have to give it a
spin......
Shhhhh!

Last edited:
Thank you my friends ! Yeah there is something about this blade that is just "Perfecta". I think I may just have to give it a
spin......
Shhhhh!

You are most welcome to give it a spin, sir! Let us know how it shaves before you send it on its way! :thumbup1:

WOW!!! I love how you kept the beveled edge on the scales so crisp! That is tough work and takes extreme attention to detail. Your work really is a level beyond.

WOW!!! I love how you kept the beveled edge on the scales so crisp! That is tough work and takes extreme attention to detail. Your work really is a level beyond.

Wow right back at you! Thanks for picking up on this detail. Simple as it may appear to be. Holding the bevel constant is important as any glitch will stick out like a sore thumb.
And the bevel doesn't go straight to the edge. There is a 1/16th flat around the very edge. All the more surfaces to catch and reflect light. Polishing it all takes some care so as not to obliterate anything while still removing scratches and get a nice shine.
I'm thrilled you caught this little detail. Thanks as it floats my boat.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 60
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 61
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
Not in Horn anyway. Too labor intensive for commercial stuff I would imagine. Plain slabs or rounded over is so easy and fool proof.
Again, thanks for noticing and appreciating it.

Last edited:
That is a real show piece. The spine work and the scales work together. Even how you thought to sink the blade deeply in the scales so all the facets are close together. That is part of that artists eye you bring to your work. We B&Bers are lucky to have you. I am a pure rank amateur and just do stuff for my own use, but I always check your threads to pick up what tricks and techniques I can.

Top Bottom