What's new

"Grand Bay" Bay Rum

I just ordered two... you guys are awesome enablers.....

I'll let you know when they arrive and I take it for a test splash. I love Dominica and I have high hopes for this one.

Don

I received mine in the mail yesterday.

The bottle is the same as my vintage Dominica, back right, and the "old style reissue bottle", back left, that I bought from West Coast about a year ago.

Like the older bottles it comes with a stopper instead of a screw cap.

As for the scent it is very close to the last batch of Dominica I bought in the old style bottle.

Here it is.
$GBayRum1.jpg

Ingredients listed are: Water, Alcohol, Fragrance.
$GBayRum2.jpg

My order arrived a couple of days ago.

I'd been carefully rationing my last bottle of Dominica, and for a moment it really didn't seem like I would be able to re-stock anytime soon due to the production problems they were having with this product. My hope with the "Grand Bay" version would be that I would get a reasonable replacement for Dominica.

As Chris stated, the screw cap has been replaced with a stopper cap, using an artificial cork. This gives it a kind of old school flair, and I like it. Grand Bay is not listed on the bottle's label, except for a small mention on the back where it states the product was manufactured. I like the labeling on this new offering a little bit better that the labels on Dominica. They have a warmer, tan color to them that compliments the green and black lettering.

To me, it's almost a perfect match for Dominica. Perhaps a little less of an alcohol note, and there doesn't seem to be as much burn. Scent is fleeting, but it doesn't have that medicine quality that you could kind of pick up with Dominica. On some levels, I view the "Grand Bay" offering as an improvement. Fans of Dominica, buy with confidence. I'd like to see a lime version in the future.

Don

To return to this old thread, I just want to say that I really like the Grand Bay bay rum I've been using over the past couple of years, which has been updated as to the label and involves a screw cap. I don't have a lot of experience with bay rums, but to me it has a nice overall feel. I start with a pea-sized amount of 444 balm in the palm, then add a splash of this bay rum, blend it, and splash it on my face. Really, the one after-shave combination I could use every day, provided that it is preceded by the right soap.

My understanding is that the original will return once the company recovers from hurricane damage. Dominica got hit quite hard by Maria. I hope that it will come back--I love this bay rum above all others.

I'm a big fan of the old Dominica Bay Rum and all I can say is the Grand Bay Rum is just as great or even greater than the Dominica. I love it.

Chris

Top Bottom