What's new

How do touch-up hones on coticules affect razors honed with different methods?

Hello gents! So, I have a couple of coticule related questions.

I got some local hands-on mentorship with my coticule, and was told that I am doing everything right, I just need to do a little more of it. I was glad to hear this after putting myself through a bevel reset after a bad touch-up honing stroke on my first touch-up try! My two identical NTS razors are now shaving like the day I got them, and it's amazing to get back to working on technique with an edge that I'm 100% responsible for. My idea going into straight razor shaving was to not use chromium oxide and the like, and just use touch-up honing on a coticule when the razor starts to pull. I've now done this successfully twice, and my face likes the results. I'm trying not to get too cocky though as I think a lot of the honing work I've done has been luck that I don't want to push.

So, my questions are these: If I buy a razor that has been honed with some other method, (like Japanese stones,) can I go straight to touch-ups on my coticule, or do I need to do some other work on it first? What about coticule touch-ups on razors that have been finished with chrom ox? I've read that those two methods are incompatible, but what should I do to a razor if it's been finished on chrom ox to get a coticule edge back? Now that I'm sure about this straight razor stuff, I'm thinking of getting a PRC Hydra. is there anything special / different I need to do when honing a quarter-hollow ground? Any special considerations for keeping that Spanish point sharp? (My two current razors are full hollow round point.)

This whole honing (and shaving) journey, missteps and all, has been pretty unexpected and amazing! I can only hope to give back to the B&B community a third as much as I've gotten out. thanks in advance for the help.

Once you have a set bevel it takes very little to convert one type of edge to another. One stone type to another is very easy because there is no convexing of the edge to get past. An edge that has been finished on crox on a hanging strop tends to convex the edge a touch so takes a bit longer, but still easy stuff. Going from crox to coti I suggest a bit of time on slurry, where an edge off of another stone may only need water laps to pick up that coticule feel you are after. Generally speaking, if I have any doubt, I will take the edge to medium slurry just to be sure. Keeping your Spanish point sharp is no problem either. Just shy away from any rolling X strokes. Stick to true x strokes or half X's and you will be good to go.

A lot depends on how far back the edge has gone.
I'm just wondering - unless you don't have a Jnat, why touch up a Jnat edge on a Coti?

Once you have a set bevel it takes very little to convert one type of edge to another. One stone type to another is very easy because there is no convexing of the edge to get past. An edge that has been finished on crox on a hanging strop tends to convex the edge a touch so takes a bit longer, but still easy stuff. Going from crox to coti I suggest a bit of time on slurry, where an edge off of another stone may only need water laps to pick up that coticule feel you are after. Generally speaking, if I have any doubt, I will take the edge to medium slurry just to be sure. Keeping your Spanish point sharp is no problem either. Just shy away from any rolling X strokes. Stick to true x strokes or half X's and you will be good to go.

Thanks. Just really worried about pushing my luck after what I went through with my last bevel reset. Good to know that I can experiment with CrOx and just get my coticule edge back with a little slurry. I may be giving that a try this coming weekend!

A lot depends on how far back the edge has gone.
I'm just wondering - unless you don't have a Jnat, why touch up a Jnat edge on a Coti?

I don't have a JNat... Yet... :) My experiments with CrOx have taught me that I really like coticule edges; with them I seem to get a bit of warning before cutting myself, whereas with CrOx I seem to cut / scrape myself before realizing it, if that makes sense. I'm sure different edges require different technique; I'm just very familiar with coticule edges right now and would like to stick with them if I ever get that Spanish point I'm dreaming of.

I don't have a JNat... Yet... :) My experiments with CrOx have taught me that I really like coticule edges; with them I seem to get a bit of warning before cutting myself, whereas with CrOx I seem to cut / scrape myself before realizing it, if that makes sense. I'm sure different edges require different technique; I'm just very familiar with coticule edges right now and would like to stick with them if I ever get that Spanish point I'm dreaming of.

Careful! You are well on the way down the path that captures so many of us! Coticule edges just feel good. No other way to put it. I have experimented and tried lots of stuff, but my best most comfortable shaves come from coticule hones.

Ive shaved off some 'finished' edges that a 5k could improve.
But that wasn't my point, was just wondering if this was a practical application or a theoretical one.

Top Bottom