What's new

Facial moisturizer (non-aftershave)

I had a recent change in my daily routine. Few times a week I come home from the gym late, take a shower, shave, and hit the sack. Following morning I wake very early, brush my teeth, wash my face, and run off to work. I’m looking for a non-greasy, fast absorbing, men-scented facial moisturized (rather than an aftershave). Any recommendations?

I had a recent change in my daily routine. Few times a week I come home from the gym late, take a shower, shave, and hit the sack. Following morning I wake very early, brush my teeth, wash my face, and run off to work. I’m looking for a non-greasy, fast absorbing, men-scented facial moisturized (rather than an aftershave). Any recommendations?

Neutrogena makes a good one that I'm using now. It also has a mild sun block in it, but I don't find it oily or greasy at all.

I have been using Jack Black and it seems to work rather well. I am out of town and forgot it so I bought some Wal Mart brand. Don't buy that one.

Baxter of California Oil Free Moisturizer is fantastic stuff. Absorbs quickly, not at all greasy, and leaves my face feeling great. No scent to speak of, though.

My moisturizer usually is my aftershave most days. I like the Clinique for Men Anti-Age Moisturizer, which has been on the market about a year now. It's a definite step up from their standard, yellow moisturizer. However, one of the things I like best about it is its lack of scent, so it might not be what you're looking for. Still thought I'd mention it, though.

Ovimed Rich Care Cream. It is alkaline with pH 7.5 unlike all of the acidic stuff on the market.

I decided to read up on Ovimed, because I was curious about your statement. Skin pH is 5.5, so conventional wisdom suggests that skin care products with a pH closer to that of our natural skin is preferable to an alkaline pH. Ovimed makes a lot of claims on their website (one backed up by the unarguable science of "we guess") for why skin products with an alkaline balance are better, but they offer no support for those claims. Their claims beg the inevitable question: if acidic products are so bad for us, why are most cosmetics on the market acidic? How is it everybody else got it wrong, and how did Ovimed manage to be the only one to get it "right"? Obviously, I'm skeptical.

Bulldog! It's not even close to greasy, absorbs quickly and smells fantastic. Plus, it dries down to a matte finish, not shiny like many.

La Roche Posay, their hydraphase intense light is awesome, non-greasy, fast absorbing
Not sure about the manly smell though

Last edited:
I decided to read up on Ovimed, because I was curious about your statement. Skin pH is 5.5, so conventional wisdom suggests that skin care products with a pH closer to that of our natural skin is preferable to an alkaline pH. Ovimed makes a lot of claims on their website (one backed up by the unarguable science of "we guess") for why skin products with an alkaline balance are better, but they offer no support for those claims. Their claims beg the inevitable question: if acidic products are so bad for us, why are most cosmetics on the market acidic? How is it everybody else got it wrong, and how did Ovimed manage to be the only one to get it "right"? Obviously, I'm skeptical.
Some skin disorders (like psoriasis) are treated with sea salt baths. Salt pH is greater than 7. Also yeast and fungus thrive in an acidic environment. Cancer cells can't live in an overly alkaline environment. Parasites have a hard time surviving in alkaline environment.
I see alkaline products as preventative measure. At least I know it does nothing wrong as I used them now for years. No one's got it wrong and no one's got it right they all stepped in this market for money, if you make big buck you got it right all will follow. You can use whatever you want and feel no difference at the end of the day.

Last edited:
finally....a moisturizer thread....I will say I have tried many of them and I have decided that the Jack Black is the one I'm sticking with....I don't find it greasy, it absorbs pretty quick, has a nice scent, has some sunblock in it and a little bit goes a long way.

Paired up with Mitchell's Wool Fat...my face feels SO soft all day long.

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422843896.718973.jpg

Another vote for jack black

the only other moisturizer that I found that worked for me as well as the Jack Black was the Lucky Tiger....both are good stuff IMO

I just bought the Taylor of old bond night cream from West Coast Shaving, used it once last night so I really can't tell long term but it dried to a matte finish, not greasy at all and when I woke up my face did feel quite smooth. I looked for something that didn't interfere with my shaving routine and a night time moisturizer works best for me.

I have substituted Thayer's witch hazel as my toner in the past week and have seen good results.

I user Kiehl's Midnight Recovery Serum and it works like a charm.
http://www.kiehls.com/Midnight-Recovery-Concentrate/819,default,pd.html?start=1&cgid=face-serums

And followed up with a small dosage of Kiehl's Ultra Facial Cream.
http://www.kiehls.com/Ultra-Facial-Cream/622,default,pd.html?start=1&cgid=face-moisturizers

My face gets pretty dry especially during the winter months and this has kept everything in check so far and I have no complaints. It may be on the pricey side of things, but after years, I found something that works for me.

Top Bottom