What's new

DE blade preference?

So a few months ago I ordered a DE blade sampler. From where is not important. But I just had to have the bloodiest shave of my life. So in an attempt to save my face. What blades have you found to be the absolute worst? When I get back home from work I will post wat blades they are, I'm at work at the moment. I would also like to point out that I've been using DE's for 18 years now. Just wanted to find some other blades. Found 1 I like better so far. And one that's way. Way worse.

Last edited:
Worst would be Dorco and Lord I think. Best, Israel Personna followed by Indian Gillette Swords. Though, before the weeks out I'll have an order of Nacet's, hoping they'll beat Personna yet. Good luck in the search, enjoy the road! :thumbup1:

I have tried sampler packs from Fendrihans, and added to the list:
Astra green
Lord Stainless Steel
Personna Lab Blue
Lord Platinum
Feather
Astra blue
Gillette 7-O'Clock green
Wilkinson Sword
Gillette 7-O'Clock yellow
(I think I got them all)

Of these my regular blades are the Derby, Gillette Green, and Lord Platinum for the best steady shaves.
The Feathers are very sharp, and I use them occasionally
The poorest blade has been the green Astra.

I will keep trying out blades, but they are very much the proverbial YMMV

I didn't like the Chrona, Wilkinson Sword, the Green Gillette 7 O'Clock, and can't stand the Derby, I like the Israeli Persona Reds, the Gillette 7 O'Clock Yellow, but my daily blade is the Personna Blue, a-k-a the Lab, even though now the blades are in plain white wrappers. I find it has the right mix of sharpness and smoothness, and works well in my three razor rotation of a 47 Superspeed, 52 black handle Tech, and Schick Krona.

Worst for me has to be Derby and Bic Chrome Platinum. But as was already mentioned YMMV. Someone already said they dislike Astra's and they are one of my top 3.

So far I have tried derby ss ( it is what I started out with), wilkinson sword and both astra ss and astra sp. I personally have no problem with the derby, and I like the astra sp better than the ss. I didn’t like the wilkinson that much, but since I am a beginner that could be a technique issue.

Thanks for your post! :)

I have stayed away from the commonly rejected "worse" blades like Merkur and Dorco but I have used Dollar Store branded Korean blades that I assume are Dorco. They and Derby would be at the bottom of my list but I can use about any blade. At the top of my "must have, top pick, always on hand, buy in bulk list are Astra SP, Gillette Silver Blue, Gillette 7 O'Clock blacks, and Personna Labs.

Best: Personna blue, vokshod, Astra SP
All of the other blades I've used had been decent shaves except for 2 which would barely cut through any stubble, I felt like I was scraping the hair off... so worst is: Big Ben, Sharp (the name is very misleading)

I like the shave from feather, Polsilver, and 7 Oclock yellows, but end up with some irritation later on on my neck every time I use them.

I'm still trying different blades, but so far my smoothest/best shaves have been with Polsilvers.
It's such a personal, YMMV thing. I do best with Personna Med Preps and Feather, which are popular "bests." I think my worst shave ever was with Polsilver. Go figure.

I cannot make the Bic work, and no real love for Feather.. Astra SP has been my go-to blade, but just shaved with a Voskhod.. Nice...

I have found that the most tugging I have gotten came from derby. Not saying it's a bad blade but it's not the sharpest. My best results come from astra sp/ personna lab blue/ gillette sb and astra sp. feathers occasionally.

Worst blades I've used was the derby and merkur blades. To much tugging to where it was just an uncomfortable shave. My go too blades are astra/personna blue and feathers. Super smooth.

The only blade I can't used is the Gillette Blacks. I have tried them several times but I always get irritated when I use them.

Chinese Flying Eagle - worst
I'll add that I've not yet had a good shave with a Bic either. Lab blues tend to irritate me as well.

I like Gillette black, Voskhod, Nancets, Treet black beauties. Lots actually.

The worst blade I have used out of the 45 or so I have tried was the Gillette 7 O'Clock Green Permasharps made in India. This blade felt like I was shaving with a saw blade in the razor.

I really like the Gillette Silver Blues after the first shave. And when I want a smooth comfortable shave to give my face a break I find any of the Treet carbon steel blades are great.

Top Bottom