What's new

Some things I love about Japan

In no particular order:

The trains run exactly on time

The food is fantastic. Often times there will be an open flame at your table too cook something on(it's not all raw fish over here)

In the winter, the seats are heated on the trains

So are the toilet seats at the hotel!

The people are very hospitable, great sense of humor

Geothermic hot springs

Cold, crisp, Japanese beer

A great historical culture

Castles!

Real ramen

186mph Sinkansen gets you where you need to go, smooth as silk.

Last edited:
Oh how I would love to visit JAPAN!!! I absolutely love sushi and Japanese beer. Anyone I have know that has visited absolutely loved it. Thanks for making me jealous!

My father enjoyed his R&R from the Korean War in Japan too but I don't know which cities he visited. He bought all sorts of collectibles, some of which are in my possession. Most of what he brought back were Japanese wood block prints, but the crown jewel is a hand carved ivory chess set in a nice case that folds out as the board.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Seraphim:
proxy.php
A 2wk vacation to Japan ( :drool: ride the bullet train [shinkansen], visit revered Mt Fuji, take a boat cruise on Lake Ashi and an aerial tram ride up Mt Komagatake. Head to Kyoto and take in the beautiful city on a morning tour to the Golden Pavilion, Nijo Castle, and His Majesty's Imperial Palace. Then see Nara’s famous sites including Todaiji Temple, Kasuga Taisha Shrine, and Nara Park [Deer Park]), and

a visit with the Snow Monkeys of Nagano would be awesome!
attachment.php

proxy.php
"Hot Springs: the ultimate expression of relaxation". CBJ

Last edited:
I'd love to visit Japan in my lifetime. I probably wouldn't mind living there if I wasn't horribly allergic to tobacco smoke...and could actually speak a word of Japanese. I'm a big fan of Gaki no Tsukai, been gearing up to watch their annual New Year's 24 hour batsu. There's an online group that subtitles Gaki shows in English. I've just recently ordered a G-Shock and some Frisk mints from a Japanese buying service here recently.

Are you currently in Japan, Seraphim?

Yes I'm on a business trip.

Its a nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live here. They usually work 12-13 hour days. Often on Saturdays as well. And the kids are similarly interned in school for hours upon hours

No thanks to that. I just like to visit.

There is certainly lots to love about Japan. My favourite noodle shop was at Hiro-o Crossing- I was there at least a couple of times each week.

Yes I'm on a business trip.

Its a nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live here. They usually work 12-13 hour days. Often on Saturdays as well. And the kids are similarly interned in school for hours upon hours

No thanks to that. I just like to visit.

Sounds like my work schedule in the US. :lol: Throw some sundays in there as well and you got it haha.
I am very jealous however. I have always wanted to go there. Enjoy your time sir!

The trains in the U.S. are on time too. How is this, you may ask? Because cities count five minutes late as being on time for their internal statistics :lol:

The trains in the U.S. are on time too. How is this, you may ask? Because cities count five minutes late as being on time for their internal statistics :lol:

You obviously havent been to Boston. I'd love to be only off by 5 minutes! Actually, they are never late, because they don't even have a schedule for the subway.

Why has no one in the US implemented this?!

Real ramen

What's different about it? Just curious...never had anything than what's available in the states. I had a bowl of it once in a Japanese restaurant that tasted identical to Maruchan, but that's as close as I've ever come to actual Japanese ramen.

I'd love to try out some Japanese foods, like their counterparts to what we have over here. I've ordered some Frisk mints to start off with...Shozo Endo seems to like to cook with them on the Kiki shows, so I wanna see what the big deal is with them. I also ordered a vintage G-Shock from the same proxy buying service. As I understand, it's coming from the Niigata prefecture; all the pictures I've seen of it show an outstandingly beautiful place. It's just up the map a bit from Tokyo from what I can tell. What area did you go to, Seraphim?

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
Some of my fondest memories are from a middle school exchange program to Japan. There is a lot to love about the land, people, and culture.

In no particular order:

The trains run exactly on time

The food is fantastic. Often times there will be an open flame at your table too cook something on(it's not all raw fish over here)

In the winter, the seats are heated on the trains

The people are very hospitable, great sense of humor

Geothermic hot springs

Cold, crisp, Japanese beer

A great historical culture

Castles!

Real ramen

186mph Sinkansen gets you where you need to go, smooth as silk.

Add to the list;

Neighbour's house isn't a meth lab
Elderley people are not bashed for $5
You can ride the trains at night safely

the list goes on...

Top Bottom