What's new

Wondering what I can expect with more experience.

For a couple weeks I've been using an EJ89 and a Super Speed razor, both giving decent results, but not spectacular. At first, I thought it was spectacular because they were the closest shaves of my life. I spent the last 30 years using an electric razor because the 10 years before that were with canned goo that bothered my skin. It wasn't until I made some amazing shaving soap and wanted to try it rather than give it away, that I found out how a real soap was so much better. I immediately bought the DE razors and had some great shaves. I've been doing 3 pass shaves and getting near BBS results, but not on the whole face.

Well, I found an old disposable in my shaving drawer and figured I'd try it with my newly learned techniques. I mean, for 40 years I've never prepped my face, or used good shaving lather, or did multiple passes. I didn't even put an after shave of any type on. I know - hard to believe! So, I've got a couple weeks of practice in with this new shaving style and I figured it would be nice to compare the DE shave to a disposable, knowing what I now know.

Come to find out, the 3-blade cheapo disposable gave me the best shave I've ever had. BBS on every part of my face with 2 passes - and much faster. What a difference proper prep and a great shaving soap will make - no matter what the razor! Now, I'm a bit depressed. I like using the steel DE razors. The experience is better - more zen-like. But, getting worse results is a kick in the pants. My question to all you experienced DE users, do you think it's more technique and I'll eventually get similar results from my DE razors? Do I need to upgrade to a more aggressive razor to get the BBS easier? Or, is it pretty much a given that a DE is not going to be as easy to obtain that top-notch shave that a modern plastic multiple-blade razor can give?

Welcome to the club. Glad to have you aboard. Technique takes much more than a couple of weeks to develop. Stick with it, and you'll learn that you can get BETTER results with your DE razors than with the disposable.

Yes, could be the answers to all your questions, not knowing your razor, blade, beard type, etc. I can safely say your technique will improve your shaves over carts and electrics. You've already learned so much as to improve any shave you attempt.

But just for the heck of it...

On your third pass you're doing now, reach down and instead grab a handful of lather off your bush or from your bowl. Lather the last pass with your hand, while feeling your face for any areas you might have missed. Treat this like that third pass. In effect, it becomes a touchup pass. Touch up those areas you missed with equal care to pressure and note what might have gone wrong on the first passes with special attention to beard growth direction and shaving angle. Beard mapping is the secret to shaving intelligence IMO. It makes the shave efficient. What you learn makes you smart about your shaving.

What you will find is a lot of shaves will give you a close enough shave to get through a day; they will feel fine. When you master DE shaving, you'll master a shave that could get you through two. Imagine how much better you feel through those 48 hours.

PS: (You can also do this pass after a regular third pass if you like, which is ever better for the shave, but not as good a learning experience).

Welcome to the club. Glad to have you aboard. Technique takes much more than a couple of weeks to develop. Stick with it, and you'll learn that you can get BETTER results with your DE razors than with the disposable.
+1 and welcome!

On your third pass you're doing now, reach down and instead grab a handful of lather off your bush or from your bowl. Lather the last pass with your hand, while feeling your face for any areas you might have missed. Treat this like that third pass. In effect, it becomes a touchup pass. Touch up those areas you missed with equal care to pressure and note what might have gone wrong on the first passes with special attention to beard growth direction and shaving angle. Beard mapping is the secret to shaving intelligence IMO. It makes the shave efficient. What you learn makes you smart about your shaving.

What you will find is a lot of shaves will give you a close enough shave to get through a day; they will feel fine. When you master DE shaving, you'll master a shave that could get you through two. Imagine how much better you feel through those 48 hours.

+1 Welcome! All in good time my friend.

Hello and welcome. Glad to hear that your DE and disposable shaves are so good. I would keep working on DE technique for the reasons you cited. At the same time, if your new prep is giving you the shaves you want from a disposable, then have at it and enjoy. It's all about what works best for YOU, not anyone else.

I'm still a rookie, but that's what got me into wet shaving to begin with.....I started trying to pay attention to technique and things like lifting/moistening your beard or going with the grain while shaving with a Mach 3. Adding those things to the canned go/cartridge regimen greatly increased, so I just tried to take it to the next logical step: DE/proper wet shaving. I started out disappointed, because my first few shaves have all felt like a step back....but they're getting better. And even if the results on my face were similar to goo/cartridge, the aesthetic and 'classicness' still appeals to me....as well as not throwing away razors/plastic cartridges/cans for said goo. Anyways, welcome to the forum....I'm still pretty new here, and I haven't been run out of town yet for asking tons of repetitive questions.

+2 and welcome to the forum!

Thanks for all the welcomes and suggestions. I don't carry much fat in my face. It's very angular - pronounced cheekbones, jawline and chin. I suspect that blade angle is my biggest challenge. It's the one aspect that the flexible disposables make easier. I noticed that no one suggested a more aggressive razor. Good to know - I'd hate to have to buy too many more razors, thinking that the tool was more important than the technique.

Even though the shave with the disposable was great, it was just a test. I'm not interested in permanently using them for a couple reasons. They are not only expensive, but they are a waste of plastic and packaging. Worst of all, they are boring. Besides, using a shaving brush with luxurious shaving cream and a plastic razor is kind of like going to church wearing camo - just doesn't feel right.

My new razor came with some Derby blades - they seem to work okay. I just received some new Astras. I'll see if the cutting steel makes any difference. As long as I know that better shaves will come, I'll keep working towards improving. It's not torture. I use to hate shaving, now it's one of the things I look forward to each day.

Welcome to the forums. I think with time, and trying several razors, you will find a combination that both gives you the closeness you want and the enjoyment. Paying attention to your technique, trying different soaps/creams and razors and blades, as outlined in these forums, should help you find cominations that work for you and are fun too. Read here, ask questions and just enjoy the journey.

mswofford

Rest in Peace
Welcome to B&B; The razors you selected are just fine. Technique will improve rapidly with experience especially if you stay with one razor/blade combo long enough to see progress.

The last couple days, I slowed down and paid closer attention to blade angle and mapping the grain of my beard. I'd say my biggest problem before was not the angle, but the grain pattern. virtualkelly had it right, I got the best shave yet, exceeding the cartridge shave, by buffing trouble areas ATG after the first couple passes. I couldn't have asked for better results. Only one problem. It took me way too long. My normal 3-4 minute cartridge shave, turned into about 15 minutes. I'm sure I'll cut that down some once the whole process becomes second nature, but I don't see it ever becoming as quick as the cartridge shave, but who knows.

Welcome to B&B. I wholeheartedly agree with your observation that beard prep is a BIG part of the wet-shaving equation. I'd go so far to say it's 75% of wet-shaving. It takes trial and error to find the right combo of razor/blade/soap or cream/blade angle/committing to zero pressure for your "EUREKA!" shave to happen; but it will happen in time. I also agree that wet-shaving takes much longer than cartridge shaving...but that's the point. It's a very pleasant, relaxing part of my morning. Just enjoy the journey and the forum.

What can you expect? A full BBS. But you need to have patience, you need to find the perfect combo that works the best on your skin.

I'm still a rookie, but that's what got me into wet shaving to begin with.....I started trying to pay attention to technique and things like lifting/moistening your beard or going with the grain while shaving with a Mach 3. Adding those things to the canned go/cartridge regimen greatly increased, so I just tried to take it to the next logical step: DE/proper wet shaving. I started out disappointed, because my first few shaves have all felt like a step back....but they're getting better. And even if the results on my face were similar to goo/cartridge, the aesthetic and 'classicness' still appeals to me....as well as not throwing away razors/plastic cartridges/cans for said goo. Anyways, welcome to the forum....I'm still pretty new here, and I haven't been run out of town yet for asking tons of repetitive questions.
So its you asking all those repetitive questions...You may have to leave town
proxy.php

Try some techniques like buffing, circular buffing, J-hook, etc. I get better results as fast with a DE than I do with a Mach 3, and I don't do prep. I do use canned goo. So it isn't the prep or creme that does things, but how one shaves with a tool vs a machine. See what you think a year from now...

BTW - my normal shave from first splash of water to razor dried off is 7 minutes. 4 if I'll settle for a CCS.

Top Bottom