What's new

MyCarver the Magnificent strikes again!

Mark does my restorations and he has just completed what I would call my prize straight. This W&B came with plastic faux tortoise scales and it was important to me that the new scales be in keeping with the heritage of the piece. Often this means black horn or black horn with white accents of which he has done for me on other straights. I wanted it to be consistent with the heritage of the piece and yet unique. Mark found some horn that echoes the tone of the original tortoise shell scales. I have him do my restorations because he has the eye of an artist and indeed he IS an artist. He does hand carved wooden accents for wealthy folks - custom crown moulding, wood carved home accents and more. All of this is word of mouth and for good reason. His site: http://www.woodworkingstudio.net

My razor:

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

It's always a pleasure to build razors for you Scott as we seem to be on the same wavelength and you allow me to let my energy flow. That takes trust . Thank you.
As usual photos don't do these scales justice. A bit unusual as horn goes but when his razor showed up I remembered this piece of horn and thought it would be perfect. There is just enough mottling in it that reminded me of tortoise. On the theme of natural materials I used Ivory for the wedge. I also took care to have the shape of the scales parallel the sweep of the spine and have the blade sit " just so" in the scales. I think a razor should look in harmony closed or open. To me it's an important , yet subtle detail you may not be aware of but sense. It just looks right.
The brass pins and washers ( modified double stacks on the wedge) complete the piece.
Thanks again for letting me do another of your collection.

P.S. I'm still waiting for a razor to do in Ivory with a scrimshaw of your logo on it! Eh' Captain?

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 225
Last edited:
Wow Beautiful piece! Mark does amazing work. After he restored a Tally-HO FBU for me I'll never send another razor off to anyone else ever again. I love seeing these pics.

Awesome! Congratulaitons to MyCarver for a beautiful razor and congratulations to you for having it in your collection!

Top Bottom