What's new

L'Occitane Plisson feels cheap, poor quality!

I am not sure that I am even going to use mine. It just arrived today and I have two other synthetics and my favorite feels a lot better and the knot appears to be much larger although not that noticeable in picture.

It may go up on Ebay but does not appear to be half the brush of the one in middle, the one on right which is really cheap seems to be about the same in quality. $WP_20150126_001.jpg

If you don't like it, they are probably pretty easy to resell fortunately. Alternatively you might wait until L'Occitane sold out of these brushes before selling yours :001_smile

I was thinking the same thing, I guess maybe I am spoiled by the brush in the middle, it is a no name from China $10 bucks and by far my favorite brush. I could not be more pleased with the brush in the middle, one would think I have stock in the company the way I praise it. Maybe I will have to bite the bullet and give it a try. Certainly the weight and feel of the other synthetic seems to be much better both handle and knot.

I have many brushes of all hair types and price levels, and I still very much enjoy my Plisson Cade. It's my best synthetic by a wide margin. There's a reason why it's such a popular brush.

It's unfortunate that you're disappointed. I would note, however, that just because some of your other brushes have bigger knots does not mean they are better brushes. Bigger is most definitely not necessarily better.

In all fairness I have not tried it yet so it may surprize me and turn out to be fantastic, it just really feels cheap compared to the synthetic in the middle and perhaps it may out perform it, but that middle brush out preforms both my 48 and 49

In all fairness I have not tried it yet so it may surprize me and turn out to be fantastic, it just really feels cheap compared to the synthetic in the middle and perhaps it may out perform it, but that middle brush out preforms both my 48 and 49

What model is your middle brush? Also, if your standards are the professional-sized 48 and 49, it's no wonder that the average-sized 22mm Plisson feels small. :wink2:

Unless you really prefer very firm brushes, I would encourage you to try-out the Plisson. You might be very pleasantly surprised. The knot is also available in more expensive handles directly from Plisson.

If it already feels cheap and bad to you now, you'll probably never bond with it.

What model is your middle brush? Also, if your standards are the professional-sized 48 and 49, it's no wonder that the average-sized 22mm Plisson feels small. :wink2:

Unless you really prefer very firm brushes, I would encourage you to try-out the Plisson. You might be very pleasantly surprised. The knot is also available in more expensive handles directly from Plisson.

Yes they are both Professionals (48&49) BUT I am not comparing the Plisson to them, I am comparing it to the synthetic in the middle and I have no idea the maker, closest guess would be DeLong from China, all I know is it came not even with DeLong marking or any markings but a great brush it has been!

@Eeyore Makes me not even want to try it, perhaps it was just so over hyped that my expectations ran a little high.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
The one that I got was a wonderful brush. Softer than Snow White's skin, but actually performed quite well--so much so that I miss it a bit (traded it). It's floppy, alright, though. I think a lot of the hype has to do with what is an awkwardly limited availability, more than it's performance. Still, it was both comfortable, even fun.

Even though I traded mine away because it was larger than I tend to like, I might have to get another one. After all, it can just sit there and wait for me to be ready for it at a moment's notice.

I just did a dry touch run and my synthetic that I like feels much stiffer and more backbone, the Plisson is much softer to the touch but I suspect that I will not like it as well because if first impressions are accurate, it reminds me of a Badger and I am not wild about Badgers as they feel too soft IMHO

I just did a dry touch run and my synthetic that I like feels much stiffer and more backbone, the Plisson is much softer to the touch but I suspect that I will not like it as well because if first impressions are accurate, it reminds me of a Badger and I am not wild about Badgers as they feel too soft IMHO

If you truly prefer very firm and noticeably scrubby brushes, and don't enjoy soft badgers, it's unlikely that the Plisson will suit you.

However, I would recommend you try a good two-band badger, which is quite different than a pure or silvertip badger, or even a scrubby boar like a Semogue 620.

Have a look at the new Omega S-brush synthetics. I haven't tried them myself (sabbatical), but they are supposedly very boar like.

This is my preferred method of brush evaluation. Not trying it and passing judgment. ***?

Well that way of judging was spot on. I used it today and at best it rates a 5.5 -6. Not a great brush by any means. I have a synthetic that only says synthetic hair, hand made on it. Now I do not know for sure that it is hand made but if so I would like to congratulate whoever made it. It is the gold standard that every brush I have is judged against.

I will keep the Plisson in my arsenal and perhaps it may become a second favorite but it will be a distant favorite way back. I agree with whoever said the reason why it seems to be so hyped is because of it's on and off availability.

Backbone is the only drawback, and I don't care about backbone. It outperforms every other brush I've used.

You should really try it out before making a finally assessment!

I have tried it and my assessment was right on with my first impressions, just not wild about it, too flimsy too little of a knot, looks like a wet rat when wet. Synthetics are by far my favorite brushes, this is just a mediocre synthetic. IF ONLY I did not have such a great brush in the first place, I am sure I would be singing it's praises but my synthetic runs circles around the Plisson, also I am surprised it actually shedded a couple of hairs, my other synthetics have not shed any hair.

I have tried it and my assessment was right on with my first impressions, just not wild about it, too flimsy too little of a knot, looks like a wet rat when wet. Synthetics are by far my favorite brushes, this is just a mediocre synthetic. IF ONLY I did not have such a great brush in the first place, I am sure I would be singing it's praises but my synthetic runs circles around the Plisson, also I am surprised it actually shedded a couple of hairs, my other synthetics have not shed any hair.

Again ... sounds like you don't enjoy the brush. No need to fret over a brush, there are enough alternatives available.

I'd sell it, or keep it as a backup brush, if I were you.

Top Bottom