What's new

Seriously, Have you damaged your Vintage Gillette by dropping it?

I am just curious, I just wanted to see if anyone had ever dropped a vintage Gillette and done real permanent damage. When searching for such stories on the internet one finds NONE. And what I mean by damage is that something broke or bent in such a way as to render the razor unusable. Getting a scratch, or just a ding that has no effect on the shave is not really what I am looking for.
Thanks for your replies!

It's extremely rare for someone to drop they razor. And if someone drops it, they're likely going to push it out of mind forever.

I almost dropped an EJ89 because of the near lack of grip, but that's not a problem anymore. (And it's not a vintage Gillette.)

TTOs tend to get tweaked safety bars when they are dropped. I actually have a special pair of reground pliers to fix this.

Three piece razors will usually get a bent tooth, broken threads or no damage at all.

I've not personally dropped a Vintage Gillette; however, I have seen multiple pics of open comb razors with bent and broken teeth, and I own an Old Type razor with some bent corner teeth.

The OT still shaves OK, but you can definitely see it has bent teeth.

I knocked my gold plated, fat handled Gillette Tech off of the bathroom ledge and fell to the floor this weekend :cursing:. No damage that I noticed. Shaved just fine:001_smile.

Hi,

I think I have dropped one at least a dozen times over the last 39 years. Or, was that a dozen razors one time each? They fall into the sink, so no damage any of the times. The curvature of the sink mitigates the impact, of course.

Stan

Jeff dropped one of his "Angelic" English Silver Empire Goodwill razors. In fact, I think he dropped two of them.
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/410942-Disaster-In-South-Texas

The solution?
proxy.php

Last edited:

OK the first link was to someone who dropped an open comb Gillette and then tried to straighten it and broke it, not a true example. The drop damaged it the person broke it. The second one says the wife dropped a red tip and broke the head, very vague and non specific. Did the door pop off? If so its a simple fix, did the head come loose frome the handle? Again a little harder to fix but quite fixable.
then he mentions another razor that he dropped and he even says tha someone could fix it. So still not a real example of a dropped razor being rendered un useable.
the last three examples are all NON Gillette razors, so it's not what I am looking for.
I would like to hear real examples of VINTAGE GILLETTE razors being dropped and broken beyond use.
i don't think there are any examples.

Jeff dropped one of his "Angelic" English Silver Empire Goodwill razors. In fact, I think he dropped two of them.
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/410942-Disaster-In-South-Texas

The solution?
proxy.php

But were they damaged so that they would not shave and could not be fixed?
i have been trying to find first hand accounts of dropping a vintage Gillette razor and it causing such damage as to make the razor unusable and un repairble.

I have been looking for several days both here and other sites and forums and I haven't found a single example.
i have found some that damage the teeth on an open comb, but that is almost always repairable. And I have found a few that the door pops off a TTO razor. Again that may be beyond the abilities of some but not really that hard to fix.

i suppose if you dropped one just right from say shoulder height you might begin to do some serious damage, but from counter top to floor shouldn't cause much if any damage.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
I don't drop my razors but I've bought and seen plenty of Gillettes that have -- and show the damage from it.

Why do you think there are so many threads about uneven blade gap on Fatboys, Slims, etc?

Top Bottom