What's new

The Great Debate: Allen Edmonds vs Alden

I have both Aldens and Allen-Edmonds shoes, more of the latter than the former. I have shoes in calf and in shell. I like AE's much broader choice of styles, and you can find some great deals on them.

But in terms of construction, stitching, attention to detail and final finish, Aldens come out on top.

Are they worth the price difference? That's a question for you and your credit card company ...

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Are they worth the price difference? That's a question for you and your credit card company ...

I called Visa ... they said to spend the money.

... then I told them what the question was.

:001_rolle

Allen Edmond's DR made shoes are a small part of their lineup and are clearly labeled. I see them as a way to offer a lower price point to those who cannot afford their more expensive Port Washington manufactured shoes. Yes it allows AE to increase their business bottom line by expanding into a new segment, just as selling more clothing items does, but it does not appear to be part of some general outsourcing trend. But maybe it will hurt their brand image too much.

Genuine Shell Cordovan like Alligator, Crocodile, Kangaroo, Ostrich, etc. seem (to me) better suited to less formal footwear when compared to Calfskin in appearance but they (I think) are more durable based upon my experiences. However, with proper care all will provide long, excellent service. For me, footwear is the most important article of clothing; all others are mostly esthetic.

t
Genuine Shell Cordovan like Alligator, Crocodile, Kangaroo, Ostrich, etc. seem (to me) better suited to less formal footwear when compared to Calfskin in appearance but they (I think) are more durable based upon my experiences. However, with proper care all will provide long, excellent service. For me, footwear is the most important article of clothing; all others are mostly esthetic.

IMO, Shell Cordovan is suitable for almost any business or social occasion provided its color and the shoe style are appropriate. I would choose not to wear an exotic leather for business, or more formal social events.

My $.02. Ron I

I must be a bit of a jack pine savage, because I had never heard of either one of them. Of course the only debate I ever have over shoes, is which height Danners I want to wear.

Allen Edmond's DR made shoes are a small part of their lineup and are clearly labeled. I see them as a way to offer a lower price point to those who cannot afford their more expensive Port Washington manufactured shoes. Yes it allows AE to increase their business bottom line by expanding into a new segment, just as selling more clothing items does, but it does not appear to be part of some general outsourcing trend. But maybe it will hurt their brand image too much.

I own 2 pairs of the DR loafers and am quite happy with the quality and fit. I think they are a good value overall.

guys, this is my first post on this board. It has me intrigued. Looking forward to the first update on the comparisons between the two shoes. I have been a solid Allen Edmonds customer for years and have a number of pairs. I look forward to the information. When do we get the first update?

Have worn the AE brand for over ten years. I have abandoned them and plan on trying the Aldens with my next purchase. Even at a steep premium. I don't mind paying extra for quality. Why abandon the AE line? Horrid quality in their rebuild service.. Before AE, I wore J&M Aristocrafts exclusively. The J&M recrafting service returned shoes that were almost indistinguishable from a new pair. Some I had rebuilt four times over ten years of service. Then J&M went downmarket/downquality and I switched over to AE. The AE rebuild quality (five pairs IIRC rebuilt one time each - one of those so poorly redone that it was in fact destroyed (upper was cut) - AE had to replace it when I complained). I think the cobbler shop on the corner could do a better job than AE on their rebuilds. I have spoken with and mailed AE, but they have done nothing that I can see to improve their process and delivered quality.

Any update on this? I'm waiting with baited breath!
In the AE Road Warriors thread, I asked Joel this. He indicated that an update is coming later this month. BTW, he also indicated that the AE wasn't fitted/sized quite right and that this has compromised his comfort while wearing them. So, won't be much longer. Judging just by the number of views to this thread, you are not alone; many are anxious to hear.:drool:

I have two pairs of Allen Edmonds and one pair of Aldens.

I find the aldens to be more comfortable and they feel more substantial. However, my aldens are long wing bluchers done in a thick, oily leather and they have a metal shank and a double leather sole, while my AEs are more dressy leather and on single leather soles, so it's hard to really compare. Though, the Barrie last seems to agree with me more than the AE 65 last, for whatever that's worth.

Top Bottom