What's new

My Humble Pen Den

Thanks Jessy. Ideally I would like to get a wooden machinist chest, but they are a bit spendy for nice ones and do take up a lot of space. I don't know that I need all that, but would really like it. I was a machinist back in the day so know how useful they can be. I should have hung onto my toolbox.

proxy.php

If that doesn't work, then will be looking for something like this at thrift stores. Maybe something that is a bit older and made a little more sturdy, not the cheap stuff this one is made of (cardboard dividers, etc).

$2015-01-27 13_05_47-Amazon.com_ US Art Supply® 3-Drawer Artist Wood Pastel, Pen, Marker Sto.jp

Jeff, I've coveted those beautiful machinist's tool boxes for a long time, but could never justify the expense. However, I found that if I was willing to lower my standards a bit, I could get something quite acceptable for a lot less.

$IMG_2252.jpg
(excuse the iPhone grab shot and the dumb mirror reflection!)

Harbor Freight Tools is a national retailer of tools and accessories (mostly Asian imports). They are currently selling this box for $79.99. Coupons (usually 20% off) are available almost everywhere. That brings it down to $64 (plus tax). A few more dollars for some pen tray inserts (from gopens.com) and I'm all set. The wood isn't as nice as the fancy Gerstner boxes, but it's not unattractive and it seems well-constructed. I'm still arranging and organizing, but as you can see, I have managed to fill most of the slots!

Jeff, I've coveted those beautiful machinist's tool boxes for a long time, but could never justify the expense. However, I found that if I was willing to lower my standards a bit, I could get something quite acceptable for a lot less.

Harbor Freight Tools is a national retailer of tools and accessories (mostly Asian imports). They are currently selling this box for $79.99. Coupons (usually 20% off) are available almost everywhere. That brings it down to $64 (plus tax). A few more dollars for some pen tray inserts (from gopens.com) and I'm all set. The wood isn't as nice as the fancy Gerstner boxes, but it's not unattractive and it seems well-constructed. I'm still arranging and organizing, but as you can see, I have managed to fill most of the slots!

Thanks for the info at Harbor Freight. Here is a Gerstner I would love, but can't quite justify the $1,500 price tag.

proxy.php

By the way, does anyone know why machinist's tool chests have that little mirror inside the lid? :confused1

I have no idea. I know the newer metal ones (at least the ones I have seen) don't have them. Maybe so they can comb their hair after a long, hard day and go home looking presentable?

Haha, lucky guess. Here's some info I found in a Gerstner newsletter.

http://www.gerstnerusa.com/memberson...-Issue-III.pdf

The Question for this issue comes from Mr. E. K. Morley of Boone, North Carolina.

He wrote, “What is the historical purpose of the mirror mounted inside the chest top lid?”

The Company Response:

The mirror was first installed in the early 1900’s on some of the very earliest Gerstner chest designs. In those days, very few manufacturing and/or tool & die companies had indoor plumbing. In other words, there were few companies with lavatories (with wash basins and mirrors) for toolmakers and other factory workers to use to clean up at the end of the day.

The “mirror” mounted inside a Gerstner tool chest provided the wherewithal for the chest owner to check his appearance and comb his hair before heading home (or, perhaps, going in to ask the boss for a raise). At various times over the years, we have introduced a few tool chests without including a mirror. Interestingly enough, the feedback from customers has been, “Without a mirror, the chest doesn’t look like a Gerstner.” So . . .you may notice that virtually all new model Gerstners feature a “mirror” inside the tip lid.

Top Bottom