What's new

First straight buying advice

Gents,

I've been shaving with a DE safety for the last 5 years. It's my second favorite part of the day. I do have a really sensitive face. (Or my technique/depth is bad) :) Looks like a war zone if I shave every day (even sometimes every other). So, I shave 2-3 times per week and it's good.

I want to venture into my first straight razor. Been doing some research, here's where I think I'm at: fully hollow, 5/8, rounded tip. I'd rather not buy in and 'grow out' of a razor, so I'm looking to buy a really nice beginner razor to start. Any thoughts so far, brands, etc? Also, interested in thoughts on hone/strop as well? Anything to consider there given my plans?

Thanks!

Bearing in mind your desire not to "grow out" of your first straight razor, I'd say ignore the typical consensus of getting a Gold Dollar razor. It's usually recommended as a good starting point, but my opinion is that it's not something most people would keep around after becoming somewhat skilled. Other people's opinions may vary.

That said, you can get a nice Dovo Best quality professionally honed at the Superior Shave for under $100. It's a good blade that you'll have no problem keeping around. As far as a strop goes, it's a different mindset. You'll almost certainly nick/cut/slice or otherwise destroy your first strop in short order, so I'd recommend a cheap one. Seems like the Whipped Dog Poor Man's strop is a consensus pick for a first strop.

For what it's worth. A Gold Dollar, properly honed, is every bit as capable a razor as an entry level Dovo. Or any other razor for that matter. Some razors come with a higher degree of refinement, but usually at a higher price point as well.

You likely will never outgrow ANY razor. What will happen is this: you will find out whether you like shaving with a straight razor. If you do not, then it stops with that one razor.

If you DO happen to like shaving with a straight, then what happens is you see another razor that you like, so you buy it. Then another. And another,,,,etc. until you run out of money or your wife makes you stop buying more.

One key thing to remember is to get a blade truly shave ready. If you're looking new, stay away from sites like amazon or knife companies that may happen to sell straights. Most if us feel the factory edges off many new straight razors still require further honing. Many speciality shaving companies will hone further prior to selling. This is what you want. Also the for sale section here has a good selection most times.

As for strops, don't spend too much on your first as there's a good chance you may nick it. You can always upgrade later and use what you buy now as your travel strop.

Also, check out all the helpful stickies here. There's a ton of helpful info on getting started.

I wouldn't discard the Gold Dollar from Buca or Unseen from Wipped Dog's, they have a good track record of coming shave ready, and both places can get you a nice start-up set for you to learn, specially if you are thinking of trying your luck with honing, you may need a razor to practice that as well.

And as said above, you don't really out grow a razor, you just expand your collection :w00t:.

Last edited:
The Superior Shave or Straight Razor Designs if you want to purchase a new razor. If you want to learn without fear of damaging a new razor. Purchase a G.D. From buca or brand name oldie from Whipped Dog. The B&B hobbyist vendor sales forum usually has a nice selection.

Last edited:
I started with Whipped Dog sight unseen (but NOT flawed) and still use that razor even though my collection has grown and I have more "luxurious" or "collectible" razors in it. In fact, from a vintage standpoint, I actually love that razor as it has a little patina and looks the part...so to speak. Either way it holds a great edge and was a fantastic entry point into straight shaving at a perfectly acceptable price point. I did not love the poor man's strop, but did use it until I refined my technique a bit. I now use that as a pasted leather strop to refresh my blades.

As far as what configuration to start with, 5/8 or 6/8 is fine. Many people think full hollow is the way to start. I depart from this a bit and also like half-hollow. They just aren't quite as frail and and withstand a bit of a learning curve until you get up on your feet. My half hollow took more of my abuse than my full hollows did while I was learning. I can say, however, that the audible feedback from a full hollow is a good learning tool, so I see that argument from both sides.

Either way, welcome to straight shaving and I wish you a smooth, razor burn free journey!

Last edited:
There's no growing out of a razor. It's not like training wheels on a bicycle.

The Gold Dollar razor is a fine shaving instrument and starts cheap for Shave Ready examples. Many members use Gold Dollars on a regular basis (I do as well).
Whipped dog vintage razors are also good razors and shave ready.

A 5/8 or 6/8 razor is a good size. The Gold Dollar fits in between there and many, common, vintage blades are 5/8.
While a lot of people recommend round points: I would argue that almost any point is fair to learn on so long as the tip isn't a hard edge (or a spike point). I find the square point to be easier to keep track of where the point is on my face rather than the round which has a little more metal beyond the end of the edge.
Hollow or not: that's always been personal preference to a lot of people. Hollow will give you feedback that a less-hollow wouldn't while the hollow, being less rigid, is less forgiving of mistakes. Your learning curve will be challenging regardless and don't let the grind steer you too far one way or the other on your first blade.

As @Seraphim noted: if you like straight razor shaving you'll eventually expand your collection to something that strikes your fancy - and you may acquire a like for specific features.

The main key advice for you: shave ready from a reputable seller. The rest is up to you.

Top Bottom