What's new

I Give Up. What do I have here?

Would appreciate any help. I haven't been able to identify this razor. Its marked on the underside of the blade bed with Gillette Made In England.

Attachments

• $P1260768.jpg
    $P1260768.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 228
  • $P1260769.jpg
    $P1260769.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 229
Looks like a British No.16 or 22 and maybe another set, As this Razor came in Different sets, Even an Aluminum Version.

If its light in weight it is the Aluminum Version, If not its stil. No.16 or any of the other above mentioned sets, Like i said it all depends in what case it came in .

Without a case it's a 4th Generation British Aristocrat.

Numbers refer to sets. Could be from a #22, #66, #70 ... who knows.

Congrats!

You have a very nice razor! What is the story on acquisition? Flea market? Family heirloom? eBay? Antique store? Congrats on the score.

If the plating is nickel, it would belong to a #70 set.
Or if it has the patent number we can exclude the #22.

I was mostly pointing out the fact that the numbers refers to sets and not razors by themselves. [emoji106]

Btw, the hand polished nickel plating on the #70 is very similar to rhodium, it's a beautiful razor.

http://www.mr-razor.com/Rasierer/One-Piece solid guard bar/1960 Gillette No70 Set England.JPG

The Australian #66 set in rhodium from the same period is not much different (probably I couldn't tell the difference without seeing the cases).

http://www.mr-razor.com/Rasierer/One-Piece solid guard bar/1960 Aristocrat No66 Australia.JPG

Last edited:
The #22 and #66 are the same razors in different cases.

Yes I know those sets contain the same razor, Achim. There's also #66 sets without patent, like the Coronation set.

What I didn't know is that there's #22 sets containing a razor with the patent number.

In fact I thought they stopped selling them as #22 once the #66 came out. I wasn't aware that they were selling the set #22 as late as 1957, thought there was only the #66 by that time.

In any case, that only validates even more the fact that the most correct is calling it a 4th generation Aristocrat,since (apparently) there's no case.

the patent numbers comes since 1955. The 1957 pricelist shows the #22 set too, so I believe the #22 comes with Patent Pending and since 1955 with patent numbers. The #22 and #66 are the same razors in different cases.

Btw, thank you Achim. I'm always learning new stuff and most of that wouldn't be possible without you and your site. :thumbup1:

Top Bottom