What's new

Help a Noob

I'm currently a Canon G11 user and sadly I've got 2 scratches on my lens. Rather than sink more money into this camera, it's time for an upgrade. One option is just to buy the new G16 for around $500. I've gotten pretty comfortable with the G11 and like the manual DSLR-type features in a compact package. However, I'm so curious about what can be done with a real DSLR, and like the idea of having all the upgrade options. I mostly use the camera for portraits or still life type photos, indoors and like to do a lot of close ups. At Adorama in NYC today, they recommended that I go with a Canon T5i and play with the lens that it comes with for a while. Then down the road consider getting a Macro lens for around $300. I notice there is also the T3i and SL1 which seem a little cheaper and I don't have the experience to know which would be best for me. Was Adorama giving me good advice?

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I can offer advice when you do get a new one- buy at least a clear filter lens. They are cheaper to replace then lenses

Camera equipment is subjective these days. I would look at a mirrorless camera if you want interchangeable lenses. Take a look at the Fuji X-T1 or the Sony A7 system if you're looking for a camera with multiple lenses available. Image quality is miles ahead of a Canon T5i (and I'm a Canon shooter). Adorama and B&H are both going to give you good advice....but if you ask for an SLR system, they're going to lead a beginner to a beginner SLR system. Canon and Nikon are both lagging on the advancement side....mirrorless is where it's at these days (you don't need a mirror to slap up and down on a digital system these days). YMMV.

Rob, I am a noob, myself. I have only used my Nikon D7000 along with an older Japanese manual 50mm f/1.8 lens for 2 years, now and this combination is working very well for me.
I have heard some great things about the Fuji X-Ti and I would love to try one, some day!
I wish you luck in your decision. :001_smile

Rob, I am a noob, myself. I have only used my Nikon D7000 along with an older Japanese manual 50mm f/1.8 lens for 2 years, now and this combination is working very well for me.
I have heard some great things about the Fuji X-Ti and I would love to try one, some day!
I wish you luck in your decision. :001_smile

I thought I was rounding 3rd on this decision but apparently I just layed down a bunt. I need to read up on mirror-less.....The Fuji X-T1 does look sexy, but sadly out of my price range which is definitely sub-1K.

Keep open a used camera as an option..
Many people have upgradeitus and sell lightly used cameras for half of what they were used..
If you buy a DSRL get a Nikon or Cannon because if your buying a used lens you will have the largest selection as they are the most popular..

I had a G15, fantastic camera which I regret selling. Upgrading yours to the G16 or whatever model will never be a bad move. Just depends what your goals are. If you want to take nice pictures without any fuss or learning curve, the latest G model will serve you well. If you want to learn more and develop your skills more, you could look at a canon, nikon or sony DSLR for not too much money,

I now use a D7000 with a few lenses and an X100S, which is more portable and joy to own.

I'm currently a Canon G11 user and sadly I've got 2 scratches on my lens. Rather than sink more money into this camera, it's time for an upgrade. One option is just to buy the new G16 for around $500. I've gotten pretty comfortable with the G11 and like the manual DSLR-type features in a compact package. However, I'm so curious about what can be done with a real DSLR, and like the idea of having all the upgrade options. I mostly use the camera for portraits or still life type photos, indoors and like to do a lot of close ups. At Adorama in NYC today, they recommended that I go with a Canon T5i and play with the lens that it comes with for a while. Then down the road consider getting a Macro lens for around $300. I notice there is also the T3i and SL1 which seem a little cheaper and I don't have the experience to know which would be best for me. Was Adorama giving me good advice?

The Nikon D7000 is a great camera that can be had for under $400 pretty easily. The best thing about Nikon is there huge selection of lenses in every price range. Macro? 60 2.8D = ~$200, or 105 2.8 AI = ~$200. Portrait? 85 1.8D = $240, or 105 2.5 AI = ~$130 (I love this lens). Pro zoom? 35-70 2.8D = $250. If you like to adapt legacy lenses, you'd be limited to Nikon's selection of AI and AI-S catalog. This isn't a bad thing, but with a mirrorless (or Canon SLR), you could adapt just about any lens for a manual focusing bundle of fun. I enjoyed doing so when I was in mirrorless-land.

Segue...

Sony's A6000 is a great little camera as well. I moved away from Sony's mirrorless system because of the lack of native lenses. That has changed a lot in two years, so it should be of little concern. General focus speed also pushed me towards a traditional DSLR. Again, the A6000 has largely closed that gap. I've been tempted by giving one a try.

If you're too used to the nice and small G11, and don't want to sacrifice portability, the A6000 is the one! If you are looking for utmost quality (meaning you'll have more images in focus) and lens selection, the D7000 is the one. Technical image quality between the two is mostly comparable.

Most cameras in the range you'll be looking at have very comparable image quality, so don't let that sway you; you take the pictures, you capture the moments. A poorly composed or feeling-less image captured with a $5000 setup doesn't make it a better picture.

Have fun with whatever you get!

Last edited:
I'll add a +1 on a used 7000. they are great cameras, 12 mp, which is still very respectable, and gets you into the door with a camera company with great support, and flexibility, and if you buy the FT-1 adapter, there are 79 lenses that you can use on the 7000, and if you want to explore mirrorless, the Nikon 1. I don't think any other company allows the same lenses to cross platforms like that

If I had to chose now, I would look hard at the mirrorless options. Portability would be important for me, but given that you mainly want to use it indoors, it may not be for you. In any case, think also about what lenses you'd want to use.

rob, it is very likely that your lens scratch does nearly nothing to reduce your image quality.
run a test, with the camera on a tripod or beanbag, using your remote release or timer.
focus on a detailed, light-toned subject 3-6 ft away from camera, such as a newspaper.
take successive photos at aperture preferred, f/2.8, then f/5.6, then f/11, then f/22.
evaluate the images and see if you can detect any trace of the lens scratch in any of them.
unless your scratch is a 'gouge' and in the range of 1mm deep, i will be surprised if you can see any defect.

rob, it is very likely that your lens scratch does nearly nothing to reduce your image quality.
run a test, with the camera on a tripod or beanbag, using your remote release or timer.
focus on a detailed, light-toned subject 3-6 ft away from camera, such as a newspaper.
take successive photos at aperture preferred, f/2.8, then f/5.6, then f/11, then f/22.
evaluate the images and see if you can detect any trace of the lens scratch in any of them.
unless your scratch is a 'gouge' and in the range of 1mm deep, i will be surprised if you can see any defect.

Brilliant advice. I set up a test as you describe and could not detect the scratch in my images. I'm a little confused, because I first noticed the scratch when I was taking some photos for ebay and noticed a blurry spot consistently. I looked at the lens and found the scratch and assumed they were related. Then I was taking a shave den pic a few months ago and again noticed a blurry spot in the image. I'm not sure why I'm not seeing it in this test. Perhaps there is some other defect in the camera, or some environmental factor like a hair or something that affected those shots. I'll keep taking pics and see if it reoccurs. Also, I purchased proper lens cleaning wipes.

The feedback in this thread has been very helpful. I've been studying the G16 vs what I have now, as well as the mirrorless options (Nikon 1, Fuji X-E2, Sony A6000). Maybe I do not have to upgrade right away which I am thankful for, but I'm feeling some momentum toward an upgrade.

Depends on your focal length and diaphragm value. The G11 being a small sensor camera makes that a front lens scratch may be visible in certain circumstances.

Depends on your focal length and diaphragm value. The G11 being a small sensor camera makes that a front lens scratch may be visible in certain circumstances.

in actuality, the scratch would be more visible with larger and higher resolution sensors.
as camera makers moved to better sensors over the past few years, the defects in legacy lenses have become more detectable.
in addition, i would bet that the majority of shots taken with these medium-sized compacts are at f/5 or wider, resulting in minimal degradation from a lens scratches of less than 0.2mm wide.

After almost a year, I finally bought a camera! The advice in this thread helped me out quite a bit. The Fuji mirrorless cameras were the most intriguing to me, but out of my price range. I was very close to pulling the trigger on the Canon G16, but it was out for a few years and I figured I'd wait for a new release. Canon then released the G5X which seemed to be one for me as a perfect upgrade for my old G11, but they also released an updated mirrorless in the EOS M3. The G5X looks pretty sweet, but i could not resist the M3 body with 18-55mm kit lens and EF adapter for $150 less than the fixed lens G5X. I feel like this will be a good camera for my (lack of) experience level, but have plenty of advanced features to explore and grow with in time.

A couple of shots from a hike in drizzly NY this past weekend:

$IMG_0004.jpg

$IMG_0103.jpg

Top Bottom