What's new

army speed shaving

Razorock Stealth Slant + Muhle silvertip synthetic + Tabac/ Bodyshop Macaroot shaving cream; One pass across the grain, after shower, I can do it with one day of growth.

When I was in the Army, we had to be up, dressed, beds made, use bathroom, brush teeth, shave, and run down 3 flights of stairs to be in formation within 15 minutes.

That was in 1997...I honestly can't remember what I used to shave with then but it was definetly one quick pass.

Last edited:
Enjoyed reading this thread... not in the military... but want to thank all of you for your service!

+1 from me! Thank you gents! In honor of you guys I think I'm going to do a "military-style shave" tomorrow morning! If you don't hear from me it didn't turn out too well.

$arctic  20012.jpg

While i'm sure my experiences in boot camp were similar to others here, I found that operations in the arctic were where one really had to get creative. On a trip to Hall Beach Nunavut about 12 years ago, for some reason they still wanted us clean shaven every other day. In an arctic tent environment where space is extremely limited (10 people to a bell tent) and all of your water comes from melting ice blocks on a Coleman Stove, as you can imagine hot water is a hot commodity. Every man was more or less limited to approx 1.5 pints of water for ablutions using a wash basin. In order to maximize your water, you first brushed your teeth with it, then washed your face, hands and body with it second, and then lastly shaved with it. By the time you shaved with it, it was thick and cold. That my friends, builds character :)

View attachment 543511

While i'm sure my experiences in boot camp were similar to others here, I found that operations in the arctic were where one really had to get creative. On a trip to Hall Beach Nunavut about 12 years ago, for some reason they still wanted us clean shaven every other day. In an arctic tent environment where space is extremely limited (10 people to a bell tent) and all of your water comes from melting ice blocks on a Coleman Stove, as you can imagine hot water is a hot commodity. Every man was more or less limited to approx 1.5 pints of water for ablutions using a wash basin. In order to maximize your water, you first brushed your teeth with it, then washed your face, hands and body with it second, and then lastly shaved with it. By the time you shaved with it, it was thick and cold. That my friends, builds character :)

^^^^^^^^^ He wins.

Shaving in the arctic? Yikes! I don't like shaving in the field period; my face hates me for days when we get back in. Who came up with that idea?

January '69 at Ft Dix, we had, if I recall correctly, about 15-20 minutes from first call to be out-side in the cold for roll-call and our morning mile run. We had better be shaved and have the squad bays clean and straight when we fell out. The approved razor was a gillette SS blade of your choice. Everyone used canned "goo" also your choice. I think I used Rise. BBS was nt an issue.

This discussion is interesting, and I too remember my military-required nickel plated Gillette Tech bought at the PX for 49 cents (and no sales tax) in the early 1960's. I still have it and shave with it on special occasions, such as 4th of July week or Veterans Day week.

We need to remember several things. In the military we are trained and required to do things FAST. That required skill may save our lives some day. One-minute showers were a luxury, as there may be times in the field when one will go many days without a shower or even a change of underwear and clothing!

Also, most recruits in basic training are young guys in their late teens and early twenties. Our whiskers at that age are much lighter, and easier and faster to shave than they will be decades later. Today I require a 3 pass shave. Back in the barracks during the early 1960's a one pass shave was fine and would pass a fairly stringent inspection by the sergeant. Also a frequent change of blade helped.

Last edited:
I honestly don't remember the tool used in basic training - I'd bet something disposable, but I do remember fast shaves, nicks, and no happy face. This was in 1981. And then the years of cheap cart shaves using cold water in a helmet...yeah, I'm really loving my more sedate days now...scuttles, warm lather, 3 passes...yep, lovin' it...

I'd use Aveeno gel and a Sensor Excel. I could easily do two passes in that amount of time; lather once, then one swoop from the sideburn all the way down the neck, and right back up. Move to the next section, and do the same thing.

Or, single pass. Done in 45 seconds, tops.

(Haven't shaved this way in a long, long time. Currently taking 20 minutes to shave and loving every minute of it.)

I have to agree with everyone as stated above...When I first got in the Navy was the only time we had to do quick shaves. Using a Gillette Fusion and canned goop, you can knock out a shave in 30 seconds if you have the choice between getting everything done or putting your face on the floor first thing in the morning and pushing it out while 60some other guys are glaring at you because you're the reason they're doing pushes just a few minutes after waking up.

I don't think that I was ever really awake in basic training. We only had 4 sinks with 30 of us trying to shave at once. We did get our rotation down after awhile, get a few strokes in rinse quick. Normally everyone would keep a razor in their pocket and touch up the spots that you missed while running down to formation. I don't miss those days.

I used an electric razor in 83. However, I could easily have done a 1-pass shave in 1:45. It wasn't as if the DI was going to kiss you on the cheek. :w00t:

In Marine Corps OCS we had about that much time. We also had to stand three deep at the sink and swap sides left and right to see the mirror; Oorah:001_cool:

Top Bottom