What's new

Future pulled pork with dumpster rub and molasses

Just a teaser :biggrin1:
Into the smoker at 255 degrees for an overnight cook.
Rest of the story tomorrow...

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 162

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I'm very looking forward to tomorrow's Paul Harvey show. :drool:

That looks great already!

Done! Vac sealed and ready for the freezer. I have six more butts to go. These are for a buddy's daughters wedding.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 137
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 156
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 135
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 136
Nice!

I've discovered that pulled pork reheats nicely by just dropping those vac-sealed bags into simmering water for 12-15 minutes.

When i make mine and freeze it, it usually breaks of quite easily and can take enuf out for a sandwich,
Microwave with favorite sauce usually comes out good. I am out and need to make more.
Yours looks great btw..

Hmmm ... maybe I should do this for our wedding in June????

I'd love to do pulled pork (we're doing a super casual backyard wedding) but don't want to put in a lot of time the night before. Doing them ahead of time and freezing would be perfect. How far in advance would be too far in advance? And what's the best way you've found for reheating?

I'm new to smoking so forgive my ignorance, but I thought generally you didn't want to go over 225 when smoking. Anyhow, that pork looks delicious!

I'm new to smoking so forgive my ignorance, but I thought generally you didn't want to go over 225 when smoking. Anyhow, that pork looks delicious!

225 is the common low-end of "low and slow", with 275 on the high end. It all depends of the type of meat, the time available and the pitmaster's preference for choice of temp. For butts I go up to 325 to mitigate the stall. Briskets are low. Spare ribs around 225 but loin back closer to 275. Really is all about what works for you.

Great looking pulled pork BTW. That is some nice bark.

225 is the common low-end of "low and slow", with 275 on the high end. It all depends of the type of meat, the time available and the pitmaster's preference for choice of temp. For butts I go up to 325 to mitigate the stall. Briskets are low. Spare ribs around 225 but loin back closer to 275. Really is all about what works for you.

Great looking pulled pork BTW. That is some nice bark.

I set my Thermometer between 225 and 275. If it doesn't go above or below, I'm happy but it still turns out when it does.

That Pork looks amazing. I'll have to look at freezing/freezer packing it and had never thought of that. It's good to know if reheats well.

I want to do one and use it for Pulled Pork Poutine, Pulled Pork Pizza, Pull Pork Tacos etc.

This is making me wish that I had thrown some pork butts into my smoker last night! Well... If I had a smoker :(... Looks delicious!

If it's vac sealed you can hold it at least 6 months with no freezer burn. You can heat it up in boiling water but since there will be so much to heat up ill do it in a turkey roaster. A little apple juice in the pan and it'll be good to go in a couple of hours. When I do my own I vac seal enough for two in each bag and I've never had an issue with freezer burn. Use good food saver bags though. I've found butts at 255 work well for me, ribs at 265 and brisket at 255. A good trick to get past the stall quickly is to foil the butts after two to three hours of cooking or when the meat gets to 135 degrees. By then the meat has taken on most of the smoke it's going to. Once the butts get into the 170's you can take it out of the foil so it forms the bark. If you don't like bark just finish it in the foil. You can easily cut two or more hours off your cook time by using foil.

Top Bottom