What's new

another bozo cooks steel cut oats

I searched a bit, and didn't find much other than a couple mentions of the method I'm fixing to show. This is my normal breakfast for any morning when I can spare the forty minutes to make it. There's a way to start it the night before, but I can't successfully plan that far ahead on average. Maybe you can.

First, toast your steel cut oats in the cooking pot with a small amount of butter. For me this means get a deep brown on the things, not a couple minutes. Thanks to my infrared thermometer, I can assure you that interesting things don't start to happen until you get over 300 degrees F. You will smell the results.

Oats go in looking like this:
$20150125_091646[1].jpg

And come out looking like this (toasted):
$20150125_092307[1].jpg

When they begin to brown, keeping them moving in the pot stops them from getting burned on one side. I've burned a lot, trust me on this. After they're toasted, just cook them in water with a pinch of salt or the liquid of your choice. 4 cups of water for every cup of oats. Bring it back to a boil then simmer it for the 30-40 minutes it takes to absorb all that water into the oats. They are so good cooked like this you won't want to eat them without toasting them.

After cooking you get a nice porridge:
$20150125_094316[1].jpg

Using a pressure cooker cuts out some time at the expense of a lot more cleanup. Not for me.

Sometimes I add a cinnamon stick when I toast the oats (two if I'm feeling especially salubrious).

For the ultimate oats, while they soften up, saute an apple that you peel and slice (I have one of those crank-operated machines). Top your oat porridge with the sauteed apple pieces. A bit of salt in the apples makes them reduce really nicely and you don't need to add sugar.

you know, even oven roasted rolled oats would be an interesting experiment...
(but I can try it in a saute pan first - just to stay pure to the intention here. :) )

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
For me it takes 18 minutes . . . while I'm bringing in the newspaper and feeding my dog and making coffee and sometimes if I'm late . . . taking a shower. It is easy to make enough for a couple more days.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
How about making a large portion then place in small containers and freeze. Then you're not waiting in the morning for them to cook.

Last edited:
Our new rice maker has a setting for making steel cut oats and can be set on a timer to be ready in the morning for breakfast. Haven't got around to trying it yet, but this makes me want to try.

Our new rice maker has a setting for making steel cut oats and can be set on a timer to be ready in the morning for breakfast. Haven't got around to trying it yet, but this makes me want to try.

Wow! That sounds great. What brand of rice cooker is that? I've owned several over the years, but never one that would do oats. I do like timers, and coming home to brown rice and vegetables steamed in the basket, ready and waiting.

Getting up to ready oats sounds delightful. Maybe ill try the brown rice setting.

Wow! That sounds great. What brand of rice cooker is that? I've owned several over the years, but never one that would do oats. I do like timers, and coming home to brown rice and vegetables steamed in the basket, ready and waiting.

Getting up to ready oats sounds delightful. Maybe ill try the brown rice setting.

It is a Zojirushi rice cooker. It has a "porridge" setting that the instructions say to use for oats.

Toasting them sounds delicious!

I too love steel cut oats. If you are only making 1/2c or less, you can very quickly cook them in the microwave! (I know... horror!)

I use 1/3c oats, 7/8c milk. Put in a large glass bowl. Nuke for 3 mins. Stir, nuke for 2 mins more. Stir and then add in some brown sugar, pecans and dried cherries. Quick and good. :)

you know, even oven roasted rolled oats would be an interesting experiment...
(but I can try it in a saute pan first - just to stay pure to the intention here. :) )

That was my first thought when I read this. I have rolled oats almost every morning for breakfast. Cook them in water with chopped dates (or raisins) and some cinnamon. Sometimes I add nutmeg, or even pumpkin pie spice. Sometimes I stir in some Greek yogurt after I put it in a bowl.

I love the toasting idea! I'll have to try it.

I've worked out a way to make it in the microwave, first on high to boil it, then on low power (which on my (and I assume other ones) microwave just cycles the power on an off for more or less time, depending on the setting), for 20 minutes or so. Set the low power so it just starts to boil again each time it cycles on.

It's easier than having to stir it or worry about it sticking on the stove.

I think 3 minutes for 1/4C Oats and 1C water to boil, then 20 minutes on Power Level 2. It boils up really high, so I use a 4-cup glass measuring cup. If it boils over, it's an annoying mess (ask me how I know this).

I love the toasting idea! I'll have to try it.

I've worked out a way to make it in the microwave, first on high to boil it, then on low power (which on my (and I assume other ones) microwave just cycles the power on an off for more or less time, depending on the setting), for 20 minutes or so. Set the low power so it just starts to boil again each time it cycles on.

It's easier than having to stir it or worry about it sticking on the stove.

I think 3 minutes for 1/4C Oats and 1C water to boil, then 20 minutes on Power Level 2. It boils up really high, so I use a 4-cup glass measuring cup. If it boils over, it's an annoying mess (ask me how I know this).

I don't need to ask :)
i like the tip on lower power level....thanks!

I've done steel cut oats in a small crock pot overnight, turned out well, but of course you need to plan ahead which doesn't always happen.

I like the idea of toasting the oats... should bring out roasty flavors and some sweetness too due to sugar browning reactions, but it might be breaking down the complex carbs that make steel cut oats a healthier option. It sounds tasty, though so I think I'll give it a try. I wonder if this would work with grits too.

Wait... what? You toast your steel cut oats before cooking them?? My god man, that's pure genius!! I'm going to give that a go this weekend... thanks for sharing.

Top Bottom