What's new

Favorite synthetic

If you're buying it from the store do it. If you're buying it from an individual, as long as you are ok with the knot separating from the handle (there are several posts with pics) and knowing you won't be able to get a refund or replacement, you could get it.

The brush itself is superb. The durability of the construction is a problem.

Thanks , just went and got it !!!! I will keep you posted. I think I will save for the EJ XL still.

If the knot separates from the handle just send it to Rudy Vey. He can drop the knot into a nice handle with a shorter loft. Takes out all the flop and gives the brush some backbone. It becomes a stellar performer. If my Plisson separates it's getting the Rudy upgrade.

If the knot separates from the handle just send it to Rudy Vey. He can drop the knot into a nice handle with a shorter loft. Takes out all the flop and gives the brush some backbone. It becomes a stellar performer. If my Plisson separates it's getting the Rudy upgrade.

Thanks "feltspanky" , great advice. I have it here with me. $ 40 at the L'occitane store.

1. Edwin Jagger, Silvertip Fibre V2, Large (23mm)
2. L'Occitane Plisson
3. Muhle, Silvertip Fibre V2 Large (23mm)
4. Grooming Co. Synthetic.

Notes:

I found the 25 mm EJ synthetic brush to be too much brush for my face.
The Grooming Co. brush was too tight the first time I used it, but it opened up a little bit and makes a fine brush. I mostly use this to face.

Is there a way to know that an EJ synthetic is the v2 of the silvertip fibre? I'm now deciding whether to go with one of those or the Muhle version (I almost always face lather, and already have the Plisson).

Is there a way to know that an EJ synthetic is the v2 of the silvertip fibre? I'm now deciding whether to go with one of those or the Muhle version (I almost always face lather, and already have the Plisson).

My understanding is that the Edwin Jagger brushes are are all v2. The Edwin Jagger silvertip fibre brushes have just recently came upon the scent, well after the arrival of the STF v2 fibre.

I love my Muhle STF XL 25mm knot. I could never go back to anything else now.

$Parker Muhle.jpg

My favorite synthetic is the Chubby 2 with the cream handle. It has a slightly higher loft than the original limited edition with the colored handles.

After the Chubby 2, I like both the Muhle 25mm and the EJ XL. I haven't developed a preference between the Muhle and EJ.

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
I've purged all my synthetics for now. I enjoyed them, but none of them really felt just right to me. I have a few badgers, boars, and a horse now to enjoy.

That said, I'm really looking forward to the future of synthetics and trying more of them as the fibers change!

Just starting out with the synthetics and have put together this older Sanax handle with a TGN 3 band synthetic knot. I like it - it does splay on my face with a little pressure and lathers well. Have tried it with Proraso green and Arko shave stick. Will need to try it with the RazoRock Zi Peppino next.

$20150124_184005.jpg

I have a new synthetic knot from Virginia Sheng that I will drop into another handle that I have to finish. I also ordered another complete brush from Virginia Sheng - a Pur Tech knot that is 22mm in a resin handle. Ordered it to see if there was a difference between the 'new' synthetic and the 'pur tech' synthetic. A mall in the area has a L'Occtaine store - and they did have/had a Plisson Cade brush - but passed on it. Lots of good reviews on it though. Even pulled the trigger on a very cheap synthetic brush from China for $6 shipped with wood handle and a knot that looks like the Whipped Dog 2 band synthetic.

I have two synthetic brushes. They were both restored by Nick, at SportShaving.com. They date from the 1910's or 1920's. Nick is an amazing craftsman. He restores safety razors, straights, and brushes too. I have had these two brushes a little over a year. I have only used the MAYD-WELL, which is the first photo. The second photo is an as yet unused restoration of a HELD-TITE. Both brushes were re-knotted in synthetic. The MAYD-WELL is my all time favorite brush. Here's the photos -
$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422498850.716305.jpg
$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422498865.247943.jpg
Thanks for looking at these great brushes!

Thanks Cash, I haven't used it yet, and I've had it around a year. I like the other one too much to switch out. If it's anything like the other one, it will be awesome! Nick does great work!

Top Bottom