What's new

R41 vs Shavecraft #102

Does anyone have experience with both of these? I am loving my IKon but notice all the love here for the Muhle including an award it received.

The 102 is quite mild, according to what I've read. The R41 is considered the most aggressive razor currently in production. I'm not sure if they can even be compared, IME the R41 is in a league of its own.

There's only one way to find out I guess. You can get the R41 head for less than $22 shipped.

The 102 is quite mild, according to what I've read. The R41 is considered the most aggressive razor currently in production. I'm not sure if they can even be compared, IME the R41 is in a league of its own.

There's only one way to find out I guess. You can get the R41 head for less than $22 shipped.
will it fit the ikon travel handle?

I think for $10 more I'd just get the whole enchilada, I'm in U.S., your linky is U.K.

But on the other hand, I can't see how I can get a better shave than I just gave myself with the #102, efficient and mild, no burn, no weepers, two pass ATG BBS with For Chicago Razorock cream.

Chalk and cheese ... if you're finding the 102 acceptable the R41 might well be a skin grafter to you.

Regarding handles, the 102 was VERY picky about handles without forcing the thread. Conversely, the R41 accepts all sorts of handles, modern and vintage.

I had the 2011 R41 (sold off), and recently got the 102

IMO - if you shave every 2~3 days, then the R41 may be the better choice
The 102 is very effective yet mild. But with a heavy growth, I am not sure if it can be that effective.

The downside - the R41 is very aggressive. Yet for some lucky shavers, it works well.
I got long lasting BBS with it, but at the expense of some burn (3 passes and buffing). Rarely nicks once I got my techniques right.
The 2013 R41, I hear, is a tad milder...

The 37C may be an option to think about as it is able to handle thicker hair growth.
[between the 37C and the 102, I prefer the 102 - milder and equally effective. Also my 37C has blade misalignment issue - solved only with the use of certain blades]

I had the 2011 R41 (sold off), and recently got the 102

IMO - if you shave every 2~3 days, then the R41 may be the better choice
The 102 is very effective yet mild. But with a heavy growth, I am not sure if it can be that effective.

The downside - the R41 is very aggressive. Yet for some lucky shavers, it works well.
I got long lasting BBS with it, but at the expense of some burn (3 passes and buffing). Rarely nicks once I got my techniques right.
The 2013 R41, I hear, is a tad milder...

The 37C may be an option to think about as it is able to handle thicker hair growth.
[between the 37C and the 102, I prefer the 102 - milder and equally effective. Also my 37C has blade misalignment issue - solved only with the use of certain blades]
I have the 102 from Italian Barber with the Razorock long handle, it is better for me than the Sledgehammer as it shaves as efficiently with no razor burn, it's milder so harder to nick yourself but requires even less passes around my neck area so is more efficient for me.
I suppose the R41 could trump it if there was no irritation or weepers as a daily shaver and the shaves lasted longer, (I'm extremely skeptical about this btw).

Chalk and cheese ... if you're finding the 102 acceptable the R41 might well be a skin grafter to you.

Regarding handles, the 102 was VERY picky about handles without forcing the thread. Conversely, the R41 accepts all sorts of handles, modern and vintage.

+1

Or you could get a Progress and have the shave of the R41 and the shave of the 102 and, and, and, any shave you want with the twist of that knob. I use mine everyday, extremely smooth and bbs every time. Its just my personal opinion that each area of the face deserves a different level in aggression and I found using the Progress this way made my skin look very good, and also very happy. Its my favorite razor. As they say, to each their own. If your getting extremely comfortable, smooth and irritation free shaves already with the 102, then that's something to be proud of, but if you got a little extra cash and the curiosity is getting to you, nothing wrong with giving the R41 a try, you'll never till you do I guess...

The progress feels different during shaves.
It does not even feel like the 34C in mild setting. And it does not feel like the R41 at its highest setting.
I doubt you can get the feel of 102 with the progress.

[these are my opinions based on recollection - my progress and 34C had been sold off a year ago]

The progress feels different during shaves.
It does not even feel like the 34C in mild setting. And it does not feel like the R41 at its highest setting.

I agree, the Progress even wide open has nothing to do with the R41. It's very efficient though, but the feeling is totally different, IMO.

Or you could get a Progress and have the shave of the R41 and the shave of the 102 and, and, and, any shave you want with the twist of that knob. I use mine everyday, extremely smooth and bbs every time. Its just my personal opinion that each area of the face deserves a different level in aggression and I found using the Progress this way made my skin look very good, and also very happy. Its my favorite razor. As they say, to each their own. If your getting extremely comfortable, smooth and irritation free shaves already with the 102, then that's something to be proud of, but if you got a little extra cash and the curiosity is getting to you, nothing wrong with giving the R41 a try, you'll never till you do I guess...
Yes sir, the Progress is a beast of a razor too, you can it turn it up very high (thanks for the tip Forrest) and I dont see how any other razor would be more aggressive than that. It has a very wide margin to its adjustability and could probably meet the shave of about any razor out there, I would agree there. The Progress is very versatile and one that has given me some of my best shaves, I use mine quite often its never sat around long enough to collect any dust thats for sure.

You'll never know till you try the #102, lol.

Top Bottom