What's new

Used Strops?

I just ordered my first straight razor so I want to get a strop. I want a 3" strop and I am looking at everything from the Star Shaving Big Daddy to the Roo from SRD. I don't want to do damage to whatever I get, so I was looking in the classifieds to see if someone had a used one for sale to learn on before I moved on to a more expensive one. I would think, that if someone started with a less expensive strop to get used to stropping and then moved on to something else that they would likely have no more use for the less expensive strop. I seem to be wrong, or people just like to hang on to their strops, because I don't see any used ones for sale. Thoughts?

I already have a cheaper Edge Rite for my knives, though I haven't put it to use, but it is something I can play around with if I desire to.

Google Whipped Dog and purchase a poor man's strop from him. He is a hobbyist vendor on the forum. Everyone cuts their strop while their learning.

Also look into Tony Miller, he currently does not have any available but will have his plain "Vanilla" available late January, I have a premium steer hide and it's top notch quality.

Used strops are fine. I have two from eBay that work great. It can be hard to buy without feeling, though. If you do this, make sure there are no fold creases or humps. They won't come out. Insist on good photos to make sure that the strop has no other issues as well. Or go new as suggested above.

Good luck.

Google Whipped Dog and purchase a poor man's strop from him. He is a hobbyist vendor on the forum. Everyone cuts their strop while their learning.

Thank you for the recommendation. His strop doesn't meet the requirement of a 3" strop.

Also look into Tony Miller, he currently does not have any available but will have his plain "Vanilla" available late January, I have a premium steer hide and it's top notch quality.

I checked there and you are correct, he has nothing available.

Used strops are fine. I have two from eBay that work great. It can be hard to buy without feeling, though. If you do this, make sure there are no fold creases or humps. They won't come out. Insist on good photos to make sure that the strop has no other issues as well. Or go new as suggested above.

Good luck.

Thank you.

Learn on a 2.5 inch strop. When you go to a three inch it will seem like driving on an Interstate Hwy. I have both sizes and actually prefer the 2.5.

Last edited:
One more vote for the 2.5". I learned the X pattern on a 2" poor man's strop and it hasn't left me. A 2.5" strop seems to hit the spot for me.

Top Bottom