What's new

Pen Review: Franklin-Christoph Model 25 Eclipse

Franklin-Christoph Eclipse Model 25

The Pen

This is my second Franklin-Christoph pen, its stable mate is a Model 03 Iterum with a Masuyama CI Fine nib. The Eclipse has a slight steampunk character to it due to the clip design. It comes with a maroon leather zip case. Against common convention, the nib is also carried pointing downward, which so far hasn’t shown any leakage into the cap.

View attachment 542968
Specs

Color: Black with creme band
Body Material – Acrylic
Grip Material – Acrylic
Filling Scheme – Cartridge/Converter
Nib - Stainless Steel EF
Furniture – Rhodium plated brass.
Diameter Body – .47”
Body Length– 5.23” (nib to end; uncapped)
Capped Length - 5.47”
Ink Capacity – .7ml converter

View attachment 542966

Fit and Finish
This is an interesting pen! The body lines are smooth, the joint where you take it apart to get to the C/C is so seamless that it is almost invisible to the naked eye. The joint where the cap joins the body is chamfered that gives a break so that you see where the cap is. The clip is what drew me to this pen. It is attached to a band with a screw giving it a pleasing line. The clip is also designed to hold the cap when using the pen.

View attachment 542969

The Nib
FC calls the nib on this pen semi hooded, to me it is more recessed than hooded. I have the EF and it writes very smoothly. So far this nib is a joy to write with. The nib can be changed out although FC suggests that you send it back to them to be changed.

Hand Feel
The clip on this pen makes it top heavy, but you don’t notice it as the clip area rests in the web of my hand. The pens body is the same diameter the whole length and there is not a section so to speak, you grip the pen on the lower part of the body, this actually works very well.

Ink Capacity
Typical cartridge/convertor as it uses an international cartridge. Due to the recessed nib it is suggested that you fill the converter by removing it from the pen to fill the reinstalling it.

Price Point/Purchase Options
At $160 this is not the cheapest pen out there, but for the craftsmanship you will be hard pressed to find a better pen. You can either have a creme band like mine or a smoke band is offered. You can get the standard nib sizes in either HP steel or 18k gold. Also available are custom nibs by Mike Masuyama.

Summary

This is a pen that I love, the styling and color for me just does it. The only concerns that I have are that the cap takes several turns to get it off and the removing the converter to fill can be a pain. The slight steampunk looks make it a winner in my book.

Bottom Line

I think this pen will have a permanent place in my pocket.

Tom

cool review, These pens remind me of Faber Castell pens in their simplicity of design. ots an eye catcher in a very unique shape, enjoy !

and thank you for taking the time to write this

After using the pen over two days I am still liking the fell in my hand and the smoothness of the nib. Now a couple of observations, this is not a pen you what to use to take quick notes as it takes 3 complete turns to remove the cap. As i don't post my pens, I usually just hold the cap in my hand, and forget to use the clip on the occasions that I set the cap down only to quickly remember. To fill you must remove the converter. I found out in a round about way, but the nib is in a recess that holds a ton of ink!

Tom

Thanks for the review, Tom. Can the pen be converted to an ED?

I dare say that non-section/section would be a non-starter for me. Glad you enjoy it. F-C pens are a great value and their customer service is outstanding, should you ever need it. Like to order a replacement cap. :w00t::w00t:

Thanks for the review. I'd seen this model on the F/C web site, and one thing that struck me as interesting was that if you carry it by clipping it in your pocket, the nib will be facing down. Some pens do okay this way, but it's not the general rule. You mention that it doesn't leak into the cap. Have you tried storing it in a cup nib up, and if so, does that make it a slower starter?

It makes me wonder what other design factors are in play here.

Last edited:
Top Bottom