What's new

Let's talk hearing protection.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I'm interested in hearing (ha!) what ya'll use for ear protection while shooting.

I'm really interested in the electronic muffs but no clue what is a good brand, and quality.
I'd like something that will offer protection for all calibers.
Let's say the price should be at or below $100. But I'm not opposed to something more expensive if it will be substantially better.

Right now I got something similar to this.
$10053234.jpg

So what do you use?

And I'd like any recommendations please.

Foam ear plugs + ear muffs = twice the protection.

+1 Especially at the rifle range.

Jason, those look a little like the "hifi" plugs that abound now that etymotic's patent has run out. Great for rock concert-type protection, as they don't alter the timbre, just the level. For shooting, you don't need that, you need max protection. Cheap foam plugs from the drugstore and muffs over them is a better solution.

Professional musician here; can't emphasize enough that hearing damage sucks and there's no getting it back once it's gone.

EDIT: In case anyone's interested, this is the type of plug that's great for loud concerts. Where foam plugs kill high frequencies more than mids and lows, these sound perfectly normal--just softer. The flanges are latex, so they're extremely comfortable. Rated at 20, I'd guess they're more like 12-16, which is usually enough for concert use. I wear them onstage at all times. Several brands are available including etymotic and Hearos.

Do not use these for shooting! They're not effective enough for that purpose.

$etymotic ear plugs.jpg

Last edited:

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
The roll up foam earplugs will seal better than the plastic ones. I usually just use Silencio Magnum earmuffs rated at about 29 noise reduction rating. I've had two sets of them for decades. Also have a set of Peltor muffs that I believe are rated about 26-27 NRR. Whatever you get, electronic or not, get at least 25 NRR or better. I think they only go to about 32 at the highest.

As has been mentioned...double up with both plugs and muffs.

Don't have any experience with the electronic ones though. I'd like to have some.

Last edited:
HUH? Would you speak up and quit mumbling? I'm having trouble hearing you because my ears ring all the time. The ringing in your ears will go away in a little while, don't worry about it.

I wear hearing aids nowadays. Hearing protection when I was young was pretty much unheard of. Later, 11 months on a flight deck working in an environment that was routinely over 150db, I lost a lot more hearing.

I did wear hearing protection that was issued. Found out later it was about as effective as cotton in your ears. Dealt with being half deaf for 35 years before I got help from the VA.

The advice above about well fitted foam plugs AND well fitted ear muffs is golden. Use it.

BTW the amount of time you can spend at 150db WITH well fitted foam plugs AND well fitted muffs is 8 seconds in an 8 hour period. That is the new scale that didn't exist when I was getting bombarded with noise from A-6's, F-4's, A-7's, RA-5C's, and A-3D's running at military power less than a wing length from me. That along with burning through several K rounds of 50 cal from a Ma Duece and an M-60 didn't help.

Hearing aids are just that. They aid, they don't replace. My high frequency hearing is pretty much gone, except for the high pitched "ringing/squealing" from tinnitus. I'd give about anything I have to be a able to enjoy a violin concerto as it was meant to heard again.

Take care of your hearing, it doesn't grow back.

The hard muffs work best like this one-> http://www.midwayusa.com/product/52...by-peltor-nrr-30db-black?cm_vc=ProductFinding

The key is the soft parts that seal the shells to your head. Adding he soft plugs to this is the way to go.

The downside is it may interfere with your mounting the rifle, some guys have no problem others just cannot get it to work.

If you are participating in events that have a lot of directions and movement like action pistol matches you may want an electronic set.
I have these> http://www.midwayusa.com/product/67...earmuffs-nrr-22-db-green?cm_vc=ProductFinding
They work ok with pistol rounds, BUT the soft ear parts are crap and if you get any sunscreen or bug juice on them they stick together. I place a piece of thin cardboard between the ear-cups for storage. These are some of the slimmest in profile and are pretty popular.

While we are banging around safety items don't forget eye protection! http://www.midwayusa.com/product/87...er-and-vermillion-lenses?cm_vc=ProductFinding

I use the Howard Leight Impact Sports, and foam plugs. If money was no object, I would go for the custom molded electronic plugs.

Take it from someone who suffers from ringing in the ears 24/7..use foam plugs plus over the ear protection. I use howard leight impact sports plus foam plugs. I thought i was ok just using the foam plugs but na huh. Two years now my ears have been ringing. More so on the right side and it dosnt keep me up at night so im lucky there. Do yourself a favor and double up!

Howard Leight Impact Sport. I also use Silencio flanged plugs for in the field. Grab some of those cheap foam plugs and throw them in every single gun case, jacket pocket, glove box, range bag, anywhere.

The impact sport is kinda cool because you can plug an mp3 player I to them too!

As someone that deals with solutions to occupational noise in my profession, I am very pleased to see how well informed you guys are. The advice about doubling up with plugs and muffs is solid, that's the best you can do.

FWIW, I also use the HL Impact Sports and like them. My daughter wears them when cutting grass. My son has a set for shooting also, but just wears plugs for the mower.

The biggest thing with plugs is to make sure you get them inserted properly so that they seal correctly. You will never get the true decibel reduction that they are rated at, but not getting them far enough into your ear canal will dramatically reduce the protection level.

Just to add to Jim's post.

They work ok with pistol rounds, BUT the soft ear parts are crap and if you get any sunscreen or bug juice on them they stick together. I place a piece of thin cardboard between the ear-cups for storage.

He's 100% correct, the ear pieces are crap. I think they're too firm, and too thin, to be really comfortable. Plus, they don't seal really well for me, especially with eye protection. I find I have to fidget with them to get a good seal and that I can break the seal simply by opening my mouth real wide. The first time I used sunscreen with them and packed them away, I thought I was going to rip the earpiece trying to separate them. I'm not saying they're terrible, but they're not even as comfortable as the few dollar Harbour Freight muffs. I'm not saying I wouldn't recommend them, i'm just saying there might be better options for electronic muffs under $100.

Last edited:

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
It sounds like Howard Leight Impact Sport is a runaway hit.
and paired with the foam plugs of course.

I used the rubber squeegee things like in the picture today. .22, 9mm, .38, and .45LC we shot. I heard every round. Not as loud as if I had no ear protection at all, but it still had me thinking "are these things working?"

No ringing to report so I guess they did offer some type of protection.

I definitely need to upgrade.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
As someone that deals with solutions to occupational noise in my profession, I am very pleased to see how well informed you guys are.

Does that mean that you would frown upon my practice of putting cotton, or empty pistol casings, in my ears as protection like I used to do years and years ago? :biggrin1:

My hearing is still excellent...the best of my 5, or 6, senses. Even after all of the hunting, shooting, and mandatory firearms qualifications I've done...along with factory work when I was younger and industrial jobs were easy to come by.

I'm very, very lucky. :thumbup:

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
It sounds like Howard Leight Impact Sport is a runaway hit.
and paired with the foam plugs of course.

I used the rubber squeegee things like in the picture today. .22, 9mm, .38, and .45LC we shot. I heard every round. Not as loud as if I had no ear protection at all, but it still had me thinking "are these things working?"

No ringing to report so I guess they did offer some type of protection.

I definitely need to upgrade.

Definitely get some foam plugs and a 27-32 NRR pair of earmuffs.

Your ears will thank you for it at a later date.

Although the HL ones rated at 22 NRR my be just fine for pistol shooting...along with some plugs.

These may be a bit difficult to use with a rifle or shotgun, but might be worth a look.

http://www.northernsafety.com/Product/25320/Radians-Maximus-Premium-Electronic-Ear-Muff-NRR-29

Last edited:
Depends on what's going on. But, MSA sordin ear muffs are my daily driver. If I need to double up then I put in a pair of custom JHAUDIO earplugs. This is well above your price point, I got the, as a tax deduction for work related expenses. I'm an nra instructor and range master on the weekend.

Last edited:
I got a pair of 3m Combat arms ear plugs, they have two settings, one for impact noises like at the range and the other for sustained noise like on a flight line.

I wore them when a B1 was taking off, the noise was so loud my ear plugs was wearing me for protection.

I got a pair of 3m Combat arms ear plugs, they have two settings, one for impact noises like at the range and the other for sustained noise like on a flight line.

I wore them when a B1 was taking off, the noise was so loud my ear plugs was wearing me for protection.

I listened to B-1's take off for years, the Bone is one bad mamma-jamma...now I hardly notice C-5's flying right by my head. Coincidence? Nope, the Bone is also LOUD. Watching one take off after dark with the afterburner roaring is a thing of beauty!

I have mild hearing loss in my right ear from firing blank rounds while training in the army. I use grade 5 ear muffs when shooting centre fire and ear plugs when hunting, if I have time to put them in :)

Top Bottom