What's new

Newbie considering starting straight edge shaving.

Maybe I'm moving to fast but I recently converted from cartridge to DE shaving and now, I'm considering moving to a straight edge.

There's a couple of problems though: my confidence has to improve before I try it. It looks a bit scary and bravery isn't my strong suit. I'm not sure if this would be a good experience or a huge waste of money if I go to SE.

My biggest issue is that I'm the worst blade sharpener ever. I've tried sharpening kitchen knives and utterly failed. Without question, they were in worst shape after I was finished than when I started. Now, I know I can get them professionally honed and polished but from what I read, stropping will frequently be necessary and from what I can tell, honing too? I'd hate to take a an expensive Dovo and ruin it because I have no skill but worse, I'd hate to cut my face up because I can't get a blade sharp.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Last edited by a moderator:

mswofford

Rest in Peace
Watch the youtube video by Lynn Abrams; The beginner tutorial one that's 30+ minutes long. It's a "must see" for a new straight razor (or shavette if you want to avoid all the stropping and honing) user. I watched it before my second shave; I wish I had watched it before my first!:w00t:

Last edited:
Consider getting a shave-ready gold dollar razor or vintage razor (from vendor members like Buca or whipped dog respectively). They're a less expensive entry into straights, a razor that you can learn to hone/strop without crying too much if you have a mishap.

I think Jarrod at The Superior Shave has a deal for free honing (though he won't do Gold Dollar razors) that you could use if you continue to fear honing... But having a cheap Vintage razor would give you something that is capable of shaving and won't cost too dearly if you damage it from learning.

As mswofford says watch Lynn's video. He also has video's on stropping and honing. Then watch a ton more shaving videos on youtube. Do plenty of homework. Then when you have your razor and are ready to go, watch Lynn's video again before your 1st shave. Stropping is a must every day. There's nothing wrong with sending your razor out for honing while you decide if straight shaving is for you. After you make that decision then you can decide if you want to invest in a set of stones and learn honing. Take your time and sort this out. This is a really fun ride!!

Pete <:-}

You can always ask for help here. Many members who enjoy honing razors will do so for a small fee or some just for the cost to mail your razor back. A shavette is another option.

Last edited:
Purchase a nice used razor from a member on the B&B forum or purchase a new razor from a vendor who will resharpen a new factory edge to a "Real Shave Ready Condition". If you purchase a razor with a shave ready edge, it can be maintain with a leather strop and crox paste for a long time. It's really not necessary to purchase expensive honing stones in order to learn how to shave with a straight razor.

I have a razor that I started with that I will give you. Ill get it honed up and send it your way if you want it. You'll have to find a strop somewhere.

Good on you, lad!

To the OP: don't get too wrapped around the axle thinking about it. It's not difficult to learn, and really not that scary. If you shave at all, you're putting a super sharp blade to your face every time no matter what fancy wrapper it has on it. Watch the videos, read the SR forums here and you'll be set with good advice to do your first shave. Focus on mastering your shaving, prep/lather and stropping techniques. Don't worry about learning to hone yet. By the time you get to the point of learning to hone, you'll be a proficient straight shaver.

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
Another little thing to help build your confidence with stropping (I don't think anyone mentioned it yet) is to practice with a butter knife. It'll help you develop muscle memory and technique without having to worry about nicking your strop or rolling the edge of your blade. Best of luck to you! :straight:

I have a razor that I started with that I will give you. Ill get it honed up and send it your way if you want it. You'll have to find a strop somewhere.

I'd like to thank Alex in public for his kindness in giving me a razor. I certainly didn't expect someone to do that but I happily took him up on the offer.

Another little thing to help build your confidence with stropping (I don't think anyone mentioned it yet) is to practice with a butter knife. It'll help you develop muscle memory and technique without having to worry about nicking your strop or rolling the edge of your blade. Best of luck to you! :straight:

Many thanks. This is an excellent idea and one I hadn't considered. I'll definitely try it.

Please report back here once you get everything and get started. Soon you will be shaving like the people portrayed in the History Channel's "Sons of Liberty"&#8203; series.

Top Bottom