What's new

The Ice Hone Passaround

Please include me, Hunter and I can share the time with it, he and I are a stones throw away from each other.
Alex

Ok I am in, "Hone me" I want to side by side to my Arkansas, color, feel, ect.

1. HunterBlades & alx gilmore (in a co-honing relationship) [emoji12]
2. Domino
3. Chaloney
4. C FrankC
5. bluesman 7
6. joamo
7. TimS
8. Bud Man

Welcome! Can't wait to see what you're gonna hone with it!

The recipients of the hone will be required to pay the shipping of the hone from it's current user to themselves (PayPal).

If we each pay the shipping to the person following us on the list, we avoid all the paypal stuff. Since it's CONUS all shipping will be the same.

Okeydoke, shave is finished, not too shabby! I tested HHT before starting and it was pulling a good solid HHT3 to HHT4 all up and down the edge. I got a real nice shave WTG, very smooth with the spine nearly flat on my face. Pretty much the squeegee effect. The ATG wasn't quite as smooth as some of the best finishers I've used but not bad at all. Not quite as close a shave as a good JNat edge for me, but not too far off. An alum block rub post shave gave me about 1 out of 10 on the burn scale. All in all, quite a pleasant shave from a very unique stone. Nice find Dane!

You may, depends on a few unknowns I guess, see a bit more if you take the edge higher than 8k before going to the Ice Hone.

If we each pay the shipping to the person following us on the list, we avoid all the paypal stuff. Since it's CONUS all shipping will be the same.
Yep. I thought the rules were fairly clear. :)

We don't have to worry about someone not having the cash to ship it to the next guy.

Last edited:
Yeah probably would have been better going to the 12k but I wanted to at least try it off of the 8k. It does produce a very nice straight apex for sure regardless though. I think it might benefit from a slight break-in period as well though, I can see some small amount of "shining up" where the razor contacted the hone. I'm going to hit it lightly with a chisel a la Arkie and give the razor a touch-up before I send the stone on.

I'm going to custom-cut some closed cell foam to hold the hone suspended in the middle of a small flat-rate box, so when you guys get the stone don't throw the foam away! It should be usable through the whole passaround. If you need to swap to a new small flat rate box that should be fine, the foam will still slide right in and fit snug.

Last edited:
Yes, that makes sense to me. Besides that, Dane's stone, Dane's rules, haha. I'm starting the chisel work now.

It looks like there are still 2 more slots. I'd happily take one and try that stone as mister #9.

1. HunterBlades & alx gilmore (in a co-honing relationship)
2. Domino
3. Chaloney
4. C FrankC
5. bluesman 7
6. joamo
7. TimS
8. Bud Man
9. totorelkiller

Welcome! Can't wait to see what you're gonna hone with it!

Canada???
11. Brooksie967

Last edited:
One more shot showing that neat internal figuring and another showing the polish level after light (razor pressure) chisel burnishing. The chisel is now as shiny as hell, and easily takes off arm hair with the flat side laying flat against the skin with no stropping. Razor touch up later tonight.

$IMG_20150125_202725.jpg

$IMG_20150125_202708.jpg

I think so. I can definitely see a little bit of swarf production going on - not while honing really but after honing when I wipe the blade, the paper towel comes away with a little bit of black residue - so it isn't just burnishing.

Here are some more scope shots from after the touch-up today. I went to the 12k for 30 laps then did the same routine on the ice hone as yesterday. HHT is improved for sure, HHT4 mostly, HHT5 in places, apex is even narrower looking than yesterday - will update on the smoothness difference after shaving - probably tomorrow. The slight amount of chisel burnishing of the stone surface really helped the finish produced on the razor. The 8k made this razor a mirror before going to this stone yesterday, then the Ice Hone roughed it up a bit. I think it just needed this little bit smoother finish on the stone, just like an Ark. This stone reminds me of a translucent Ark a lot.

You can see the separate scratch marks from the 12k and from the Ice Hone - I purposely honed with the 12k at a higher angle to the spine than with the Ice Hone so it would be clearly distinguishable. I also used just a little extra pressure with the 12k so the Ice Hone would do most of its work nearer the very edge. As you can see in the raking light and ring light photos it left pretty much no scratches of any depth at all.

Scratch Lighting:
$Chalcedony Carb 12k Scratch Light.jpg

Built-in Ring Light:
$Chalcedony Carb 12k Ring Light.jpg

Raking Light:
$Chalcedony Carb 12k Raking Light.jpg

Edge Focus/Light:
$Chalcedony Carb 12k Edge Light.jpg

Last edited:
Lol, the PO is notoriously slow to update. The box is most likely still sitting in the drop box or the system hasn't updated yet. Coming to you BTW Gabe.

Top Bottom