What's new

double edge razor sharpener

I have uploaded a video of my double edge razor sharpener. I put it on youtube so that more people can access it.

I bought this thing at an antique shop in the midwest. I paid $6 for it and it's the best investment I've ever made. I just wanted to show it off.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6b2cs-pzJJE

Also, has anyone ever seen one of these before? :biggrin:

- Don

p.s. - I think I might have just had the perfect shave.

Yes I have seen one, in fact I own one but I just picked it up for my collection. I thought they were just for the older style blades that were thicker than the modern era blades and never thought to give it a try.
Perhaps I should dig it out and give it a go...

Thanks for the insight....

just be sure to be careful while you grip the blade. Also I'd use neetsfoot oil and not olive oil in the future. Olive oil can go rancid.

Wow, interesting. I never would have thought of trying to sharpen a DE blade, as inexpensive as they are. I imagine at one time, they were a little bigger investment and it could be worth it to reuse them several times.

I assume you're shaving with blades sharpened a time or two? They still have the same quality/feel as the original?

Here is another model:

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

I think these were pretty popular during the mid 20th century.

After sharpening, the razors aren't really like new. I just use it to hone the blade a little. I'm a pretty poor guy, so yes, I do need to stretch my razors. Besides, I don't like to waste.

I'd say that I get at least two more decent shaves out of a blade. Plus, it's just fun to do: sit on the porch on a nice summer evening, polish my razors with a micro fiber fabric and hone my blades with oiled leather.

Cool. My mom was just telling me yesterday that her dad had one of those. She described exactly what was in you video. Sounded pretty neat.

Thanks for the post. Now I know what to look for while in antique stores. It would be fun to have the same setup as grandpa.

Wow, interesting. I never would have thought of trying to sharpen a DE blade, as inexpensive as they are. I imagine at one time, they were a little bigger investment and it could be worth it to reuse them several times.

I assume you're shaving with blades sharpened a time or two? They still have the same quality/feel as the original?

I think it was a depression-era/wartime kind of thing-- I see these from time to time in antique stores, and have thought of getting one as a novelty-- but with the cost of blades so affordable; and the afore-mentioned caveat that they were probably designed for a somewhat thicker blade, and with my face being something only I can love-- I haven't actually tried one. Is it something like "Auto-Strop" or some similar name?

Savings? A blade is $0.20, four shaves equals $0.05 per shave. Two more shaves on each blade means saving about $5 a year.

One visit to the ER to stitch up a cut from trying to insert or remove a blade into the sharpener...co-pay only is about $20. If you're not covered by insurance...about $500.

Is it worth it?

But I must say I am truly fascinated by the inventiveness of man. Compact, simple device.

Best,

Jay

Savings? A blade is $0.20, four shaves equals $0.05 per shave. Two more shaves on each blade means saving about $5 a year.

One visit to the ER to stitch up a cut from trying to insert or remove a blade into the sharpener...co-pay only is about $20. If you're not covered by insurance...about $500.

Is it worth it?

But I must say I am truly fascinated by the inventiveness of man. Compact, simple device.

Best,

Jay

I agree! It's nice novelty-collector piece, but I wouldn't choose to count on it.

Top Bottom