What's new

Feather AC SS Japanese Style Limited Edition

So last week I remembered my mother-in law had given me a $50 gift cert to WCS for Christmas. I wanted to try something new and she had mentioned the strait razor like she remembered her Grandfather using.

I'm not quite ready to jump into the strait razor game right now but I saw the Feather AC blades and thought that might be right up my alley. With the WCS cert I ordered up a pack of Pro & Super Pro blades.

Then I looked over all of the AC razors and decided the Japanese Style SS Limited Edition with the Teak wood handle looked really nice so I ordered up one of those.

It came in today so I took a photo of it.
$Feather AC SS Limited.jpg
The razor came a full package of ProGuard blades that I didn't add to the photo. It also came with that little bag that contains two clear silicone o-rings. The paper shows them being wrapped around the handle in two different ways. I assume they are used to add grip placement? Anyone seen those rings used before?

Any tips in using this razor for the first time would be great! Also does anyone have English instructions for the regular Japanese Style SS model or are they all in Japanese only?

I'm really excited to give it a go, I just have to pick which blade to try first.

Must be sold out already,I only see the black non folder on WCS now.Yours is the most beautiful,there should be no problem with the handle being wood,if it's not plasti-coated you can always give it a coat of clear varnish one a year to preserve it,and teak is well known for its toughness.What was the price on the "Japan only" model ?? ...A great choice Luminose !

Must be sold out already,I only see the black non folder on WCS now.Yours is the most beautiful,there should be no problem with the handle being wood,if it's not plasti-coated you can always give it a coat of clear varnish one a year to preserve it,and teak is well known for its toughness.What was the price on the "Japan only" model ?? ...A great choice Luminose !

Thanks!

I actually only ordered the blades though WCS the razor came strait from Japan using one of the forwarding services I have an account with. The U.S. and Europe companies add a huge markup on the Feather razors. Ordering strait from Japan the standard SS razor models only cost about $58 and the blades only about $9 of course you have to add Japanese tax, shipping to the forwarding company, forwarding fees & shipping to you. My razors original cost was about $84 and $118 to my door after tax, shipping & fees.

Last edited:
Seeing this makes me want to go and shave with my Kai Captain! it's a mental struggle because I'm about five days into growing a beard!

Nice looking razor! If I could get a handle like that on a folding RG kind I'd be all over it!

Any tips in using this razor for the first time would be great! Also does anyone have English instructions for the regular Japanese Style SS model or are they all in Japanese only?

I'm really excited to give it a go, I just have to pick which blade to try first.

Start with the Pro-guard blade as it is the mildest. Use no pressure when shaving. Feather AC razors are very aggressive and can deliver the best shave you ever had, but a lot of guys quit the AC because they rake them across their skin like a cartridge or mild DE and get a blood bath. Try lifting the lather off your face without touching your skin. If you press it against your skin you will have irritation or worse cut yourself. You will be amazed at how little pressure it takes to give you a great shave. Enjoy!

Well I found that the Feather ac is sharp, really sharp! I don't really have any problems going wtg or atg on my cheeks or neck but my square jaw line and chin definitely need practice. I think in 3 days of using a straight I've nicked myself more times then in 3 years of DE shaving.

I know I need to work on trying to pull the skin tight so it goes from under my jaw up above it and figure out the chin thing. Other than that I think I have to get comfortable using both hands because right hand only is causing me issues when trying to get started in certain directions.

Also wearing glasses is causing a couple issues when I tip my head back the bottom of the frames are cutting off some of my view of my neck.

I give you straight razor guys credit! It takes a lot more effort and time to shave with a strait but it's so darn neat I'm not giving up!

Feathers are notorious for punishing any lapses in technique. You are trying to lean on a Ferrari razor. No shame in that. Keep with it, and ZERO, I MEAN ZEEEEEEERRRRROOOOO pressure with a Feather. It can give the best shaves out there, but really, ZERO PRESSURE!!!! Low angle too!

Top Bottom