What's new

Two questions in one - Old Boy Flints / Ferndown Pipes

I've found two questions to puzzle your puzzlers.

Ive FINALLY bought an Old Boy. Bought the smooth briar in gold. I'm a Vector or Xikar fuel fan so I think I should be good there it seems but - flints.... Few places sell the flints and the ones I go to are on back order with no eta on arrivals. what other flints are safe to use in an Old Boy?

Next up - my local B&M has a Ferndown thats struck my fancy. How are they? They seem few and far between and in 8 years I've never seen them before. Their history is rich though with Mr Les being a former master smith at Dunhill. What are your thoughts?

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose
No idea on the flints, but Ferndown pipes are awesome. If you've found one you like and are good with the price, fire away.

BladeBoy has a Ferndown or two or three. Beautiful pipes.
Someday I will add one to my collection. ......Someday

My B&M has two that I have my eye on. They've had them forever, recently took over new ownership etc, they are offering them to me at a super nice price and let me pay them interest free as a no date lay-a-way. We're talking about nearly buy one get one free at today's prices in seeing on ferndorn pipes.

Ferndown pipes are top notch and have a unique but traditional English style. My only complaint is that many Ferndowns are a bit robust for clenching.

My B&M has two that I have my eye on. They've had them forever, recently took over new ownership etc, they are offering them to me at a super nice price and let me pay them interest free as a no date lay-a-way. We're talking about nearly buy one get one free at today's prices in seeing on ferndorn pipes.
Do it! How often is a deal like that come around?

The only Old Boy flint I ever used was the one that came with it. After that I've used the Zippo ones exclusively with no issues.

That sounds like a great deal on the ferndown. I say go for it.

I've only had one Ferndown Canadian but never smoked it. It was a beautifully made pipe and I've read a lot of good reviews of them. Check out www.pipes2smoke if you want to see a pretty good selection of them.

I've found two questions to puzzle your puzzlers.

Ive FINALLY bought an Old Boy. Bought the smooth briar in gold. I'm a Vector or Xikar fuel fan so I think I should be good there it seems but - flints.... Few places sell the flints and the ones I go to are on back order with no eta on arrivals. what other flints are safe to use in an Old Boy?
I swear by Colibri flints and butane. Top quality on both.

Late to the party again. But lightersdirect.com has the IM Corona flints in stock for around $4 for a 5 pack. Not sure they would be worth the shipping though. They do have several brands of butane you could throw in.

Grats on the lighter. I have the exact same one and its a beauty. Just be warned, I've read, that if you use it frequently you may end up rubbing off the gold plating around the striker. Mine still looks like the day I got it. Well worth the few extra dollars from the base model!

Last edited:
Top Bottom