What's new

Pilot Metropolitan vs MR Animal Collection

I'm ready to drop a few dollars into an entry level fountain pen and decided on the Pilot Metropolitan. When searching Amazon I see the MR Animal Collection which seems to be the same pen, but with a different accent pattern printed on the end of the barrel. Do any of you know if there is any difference between these pens? The Animal pen was actually in stock and cheaper with Prime shipping. I thought the black w/alligator looked pretty nice. I would also appreciate any suggestions on a simple black or blue ink to start with. Main use for this pen will be writing cards and letters at work. Thanks for the help!

I'm fairly certain that the Metropolitan/MR are the same pen. I have the black (M) and silver (F) Metro's. They are fantastic introductory pens. I use mine quite a bit. I think they comes with a black cartridge to get you started. If you'd like a few extras, just PM me....I've got a few I can send you. Also, you may want to pick up a Con-50 converter with your purchase. It's not a necessity, but it will come in handy when you start buying bottled ink (yes, you will be buying bottled ink). Lastly, I'm not sure how much you'd like to spend, but you may want to purchase a Pilot Plumix too. The reason is that it has a medium stub nib that's interchangeable with the Metro/MR. The $10 cost for the plumix is a cheap way to add a bit of style to your writing.

Welcome down the rabbit hole.........

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I have a metro MR animal series and as far as I know, not having the standard metro, they are the same with just the added style touches and are also available with a fine nib, which is why I chose the MR. I like it very much and I'm sure either is a great starter FP.

No significant difference, just in styling.

Some MRs that aren't from the USA can take standard cartridges. The MR animal series apparently has a pencil that is not in the Metropolitan line, which frustrates me personally as I have a FP, RB, and BP pen set in plain black.

I have a Bronze Lizard with the con-20 (squeeze) converter and am using Noodler's Liberty's Elysium (from Goulet Pens). It is a good set up for me.

I use a twist converter in my other pen and that is nice b/c you can see how much ink is left in the reservoir before refilling. I find the squeeze converter takes less time to refill, but when I squeeze it to let some air out and replenish the ink already inside I feel sort of like I'm taking a chance in spraying ink all over the place.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone. I ended up ordering the Pilot Metropolitan Zig-Zag design in Medium. I can't wait to get started. Now to find creative ways to tell my wife about the need for one with a Fine Nib, converters, several colors of ink...

If I remember correctly, the MR is what they changed the Metropolitan to. They are still listed as metropolitan everywhere, but they have now been name changed. I can't remember which ones but at least one design of the regular metros has been discontinued. I believe the name change came around the same time they started offering the metro in fin here in the states.
I could be wrong about all of this, but the Goulet must have a video on this. They are very good about clearing up small confusions about these things. Who am I kidding, they are good at all things FP related. They have gone above and beyond all other companies.
They are just about the only place I go for all my FP in needs.
Not affiliated. Just a happy multi year customer.

Thanks everyone. I ended up ordering the Pilot Metropolitan Zig-Zag design in Medium. I can't wait to get started. Now to find creative ways to tell my wife about the need for one with a Fine Nib, converters, several colors of ink...

Congrats on the start of your trip down the rabbit hole.
A good way to explain it, and its kind if true, is that a fine is friendlier on cheaper paper found at most jobs. Less ink on the paper with the finer line = less feathering and bleedthrough. Just a thought.
And Goulet ink drop is a great way to try inks. New ones every month!! Haven't checked since the site revamp, but it was just $10 for 5 and sometimes more samples including shipping. Great deal. And you won't accrue bottles you don't end up liking... Your pen den will have just what you want to lessen the argument of how much you have/want to buy.
Noodler's black is great even on the worst paper as well as x feather for blacks. And the standard bulletproof black will stay on the page until the earth explodes. Nothing will make it budge.
Just a couple suggestions.
Great pen!! I have 2 on me now. One with Noodler's Bad Belted kingfisher, and one with skrip red and also a safari with Noodler's black. When taking notes at school, it helps to have more than one color.
Best of luck and be sure to post any progress!!!

Yep, as others have said, they are the same pen. I also second the advice to get a plumix for the stub nib. You can also get the Pilot Penmanship for an XF nib that will work on the metropolitan.

Top Bottom