What's new

Moon shine?

Was just gifted a pint of Tennessee Moon Shine, apearently 180 proof. I'm a little shy drinking something this strong and powerful. Any ideas on how to drink or mix this to make it enjoyable?

If it's good shine, sipping is the best way to drink it. For the ladies, mix a little lemonade with it. :a30:

Send it to me!

Definitely sip or mix with something. 'Shine is pure alcohol, like EverClear, with no other flavors in it like you find in gin or various bourbons, ryes, etc.

Go slow and enjoy.

Last edited:
Traditionally most shine is drank straight, more of a sipping thing. If you're not much of a drinker then maybe that's not the best way for you. Most women likely won't drink it that way either as I'm thinking it's a bit strong. I've personally tried 151 straight (which is 151 proof) and it wasn't real enjoyable for me.

I can tell you from the teenage experience of stealing liquor from my parents cabinet, and all of my friends doing the exact same thing, that you can mix damn near anything with orange juice and it tastes pretty decent. We tried it with everything, including rot gut scotch, and 151 rum with acceptable results, so I imagine it would work well with shine.

Moon shine is definitiely intended to be a sippin drink. If you want to add some flavor, you can drop some fruit in the jar and let it sit in there for a while. Peaches are really good for this, as are cherries.

Or you can send it my way and I'll verify it's quality. If it's no good, I'll just keep it for myself. :)

Cut it with apple cider to make some "apple pie" moonshine! Love that stuff.

Most of the commercial 'shine for sale around here (TN) is watered down to familiar 80-100 proof levels, with some of the more sugary/fruity versions a mere 30-50 proof, basically a ladies cocktail. Seems like a way for a young distillery to make money selling off their unaged white whiskey as "moonshine", not sure there are even requirements to make it moonshine (corn base?).

If this is not a store bought product and the "real" thing, then before you drink you need to do a few things.

1. Smell it. Does it have any strange odor or chemical smell? (yes - discard) (no - go to step 2)
2. Shake it. Does it retain a layer of bubbles across the top after shaking similar to what you would get if it was tea in the jar? (yes - go to step 3) (no - discard)
3. Put a small amount in a spoon and light it of fire. Does it burn a nice blue flame? If not, then do not drink. Any yellow, orange, red flame is a sign of contaminants.

If it passes those tests, then sip away happily. If it doesn't, then I would sadly discard the 'shine as it isn't worth the potential risks.

Let us know how it turns out.

If this is not a store bought product and the "real" thing, then before you drink you need to do a few things.

1. Smell it. Does it have any strange odor or chemical smell? (yes - discard) (no - go to step 2)
2. Shake it. Does it retain a layer of bubbles across the top after shaking similar to what you would get if it was tea in the jar? (yes - go to step 3) (no - discard)
3. Put a small amount in a spoon and light it of fire. Does it burn a nice blue flame? If not, then do not drink. Any yellow, orange, red flame is a sign of contaminants.

If it passes those tests, then sip away happily. If it doesn't, then I would sadly discard the 'shine as it isn't worth the potential risks.

Thanks for the awesome info. I'm going to save this. It's good to know so when someone hands you a mason jar and says have at it you know have to check for quality moon shine.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis

MrSmith:
Awesome advice & tips...I'd would have never know! $Moonshine.jpg

proxy.php
"Moonshine...it's like french kissing a dragon".
An Abundance of Katherines, John Green

Last edited:
If any water is left over after burning indicated its not very high proof. A teaspoon full is good to test this, just light it/

What's the science behind #2 & #3?

I don't know about #2, but just like everclear, moonshine burns blue.

Though even the most backwards moonshiners out there these days are making a product that is not dangerous. Most of the scare factor moonshine stores are from the prohibition where people were distilling through all kinds of weird things like radiators, and soldering with lead. Its so darn easy to make a still these days out of the proper materials anyways. The biggest risk you take is a splitting hangover if they don't discard the heads and tails properly.

the right alcohol proof will have bubbles forming. If you shake a bottle of rubbing alcohol it will do the same thing.

Salts will turn the flame colors, table salt will turn it yellow, copper salts will turn it green, red is from calcium salts.

Burn it outdoors i saw my Dad melt the paint off my Mom's cabinets when he thought that clear flame was out. I had to help him scrap and start painting before she got home to keep his behind out of trouble. She never knew why he decided to paint the cabinets.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
My brother got this yesterday. I had a couple sips and I really like it. Smells like rubbing alcohol. Tastes like lemon aid. Mild burn.
$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425091866.178698.jpg

Good moonshine is a pleasure, and bad moonshine tastes like crap and assures a killer hangover.

Best way I've found to drink good shine is to collect a bunch of dry wood, 4-6 friends, and a jar of shine. Convert the wood into a bonfire, and then sit around and BS with your buddies and pass the jar until it's gone. Cigars are a great enhancement to this process.

Whatever you do, don't mix it. If you must, go all-out and make strawberry daiquiris with little pink umbrellas that match your skirt. :001_tongu

I don't know about #2, but just like everclear, moonshine burns blue.

Though even the most backwards moonshiners out there these days are making a product that is not dangerous. Most of the scare factor moonshine stores are from the prohibition where people were distilling through all kinds of weird things like radiators, and soldering with lead. Its so darn easy to make a still these days out of the proper materials anyways. The biggest risk you take is a splitting hangover if they don't discard the heads and tails properly.

Not just during prohibition. I went to a few working stills, as a teenager in the 70s. My father was an ATF agent. What they were making was posion. After having seen working stills in person and hearing my father tell about them, I never will drink moonshine!

Top Bottom