What's new

Sandalwood Creams

On my first week of DE shaving and am going nuts over the scent of Coates Cream. Absolutely awesome lather, fragrance and lube. What other reasonably priced and good performing sandalwood creams are out there that forum members would recommend? I'm not to the level of the $25 creams - yet. Still getting my shaving arsenal together! On a side note - this has proven to be a fantastic experience! Thus far, no cuts or razor burn and shaves just keep getting better each day! :001_cool:

Welcome! You will get plenty of answers. I'm a sandalwood fan myself, but I tend to prefer soaps. For creams, I suggest ordering a sample package, such as Taylor of Old Bond Street (TOBS). Look at the online vendors and see what sampler packages they're selling. I always enjoyed using cream samples.

I almost forgot...my favourite sandalwood scent is AOS, followed by Proraso Red.

congrat's jw!
if you have one nearby, go into an aos store, take along with you a few small baggies.
they will normally happily let you take samples of sandalwood or other creams and lotions to test at home.

Sandalwood fragrances can vary widely. I have the TOBS Sandalwood and the Proraso Sandalwood (Red). They are very different from each other. I much prefer the darker earthy scent of the Proraso.

The two mentioned, TOBS and AOS (get used to acronyms here) are great choices. The Paoraso is more woody and clean. The Art of shaving has more of a spice/ vanilla note- less woody, more (dare I say) sandal-ey. Very different scents, both wonderful.

Last edited:
Try Stirling for sandalwood soap or Queen Charlotte Soaps for sandalwood cream. Both are quality products.

I've tried the three Ts and Proraso and out of all of them the T&H Sandalwood is hands down the best. That being said, YMMV. :)

Cheers

M.

I don't think the scent is strong enough on Proraso red. But man, what a slick lather! proraso wins hands down in the category of "overall best value relative to quality, cream".

for sandalwood scented cream, my favorite hands down is Picadilly Shaving co....but I don't see it mentioned very often on these forums, so might not be widely available. it just hits you with a "whoa! that's an old time sandalwood scent".

I'm currently using TOBS' Sandalwood, and getting good shaves with it. However, I think I like Proraso's slightly more, for its more subdued scent and performance. (I've also tried T&H and remember having good results with it) Sandalwood is a great cream for the winter months, no matter which brand/variation of it. Congrats on a successful first week of DE shaving!!

GFT Sandalwood scent wins handsdown over Proraso red for me,used it earlier tonight and swear I can still smell it on my face.

I just picked up some from Crabtree and Evelyn. Really works great and smell good too. I got it on clearance as the lady said they are discontinuing it. I paid $7. probably going to get some more before it is all gone.

Top Bottom