What's new

The Light Has Gone Out of My Eyes

I am so sorry to read of your loss, Mick. When the time is right, I hope you are able to bring another dog into your life, as you sound like an amazing dog owner who would bring a lot of love to a dog desperately in need of it.

RIP Fremiet.

We lost our 17 yr old beagle last year, it was very difficult. Very sorry for you loss, very beautiful dog.

Its not easy to make the decision to euthanize. But euthanasia is probably the most dignified, quickest, humane way to exit this world of pain, and you were able to be there next to her when she did finally cross over and end her suffering.

As others have said, I pray that with all the other dogs who are homeless right now, that when your ready again, you are able to open up your heart again to welcome another one, and to give them a chance to have a good life like Fremiet did.

I'm sorry for your loss. It is a fine line between trying to give them the most and waiting too long. We waited too long with a few of our dogs. 20/20 hindsight. I hope you can take comfort in that you were a true friend to her by making the most difficult decision in helping her on when the time came.

Grief for a pet is just as real and sometimes even greater then for a human, or even as hard as losing a child. Many people that are not pet owners do not understand this. It is good you have posted your loss here where others who have experienced similar loss can comment. When my wife and I had to have our dog of 18 years put "asleep", I went through the guilt phase to the point of calling the vet several times over the period of a week to be reassured we did the right thing.

There are several web sites where the death of a pet is discussed in length and I found them useful.

A good friend of mine is a Psychologist and I have bought several lunches learning a lot from him about pet loss grief, including him telling me he had a difficult time dealing with his own dog. He once told me, "if you are under the age of 50 and get a cat or dog there is a 90% or better chance you will outlive that pet."

Sorry for your loss.........

Very sorry for your loss Mick.

We had a close call with our 12 year old minpin a couple of weeks ago. He'd been under the weather for quite a while. Lot's of sore spots on his body, he wouldn't jump up on the furniture, and needed a lot of coaxing to climb any stairs. We thought he was just getting old. My wife took him to the vet after he'd had several accidents in the house over the course of a weekend. It turned out that he is diabetic, and was in very bad shape.

The vet had to keep him for a few days, and Kristi and I had a decision to make. My only question for the vet involved what his quality of life would be. The vet couldn't answer that. All they could say was that it would be expensive initially. I told them I didn't care, I can always make more money. I can't make another Bruiser. We took the risk and I'm glad we did. He acts years younger and doesn't mind his insulin injections.

We did get a window in to what the world will be like without him, and we didn't like it. When his time comes and the pain starts we'll be taking that ride. We dread that day, but we're focusing on enjoying our second chance to show him all the love he's shown us. The little twerp was our first kid, my constant companion, and at one point he pretty much saved our marriage. It's amazing what a pet can be.

My condolences on your loss and all the best to you and yours Mick.

Very sorry for your loss Mick.

We had a close call with our 12 year old minpin a couple of weeks ago. He'd been under the weather for quite a while. Lot's of sore spots on his body, he wouldn't jump up on the furniture, and needed a lot of coaxing to climb any stairs.

IF he is too heavy to carry up the stairs you can wrap a towel under his middle (in front of his rear) and using a leash at the front and towel at the rear support 80% of his weight so it is easier to go up the stairs. We have done this for the last year we had Fremiet until we decided to move the mattress down into the living room for her.

We thought he was just getting old. My wife took him to the vet after he'd had several accidents in the house over the course of a weekend. It turned out that he is diabetic, and was in very bad shape.

The vet had to keep him for a few days, and Kristi and I had a decision to make. My only question for the vet involved what his quality of life would be. The vet couldn't answer that. All they could say was that it would be expensive initially. I told them I didn't care, I can always make more money. I can't make another Bruiser. We took the risk and I'm glad we did. He acts years younger and doesn't mind his insulin injections.

We did get a window in to what the world will be like without him, and we didn't like it. When his time comes and the pain starts we'll be taking that ride. We dread that day, but we're focusing on enjoying our second chance to show him all the love he's shown us. The little twerp was our first kid, my constant companion, and at one point he pretty much saved our marriage. It's amazing what a pet can be.

My condolences on your loss and all the best to you and yours Mick.

A few months ago when I had a bad fall and cracked my orbital lobe Fremiet stayed with me while I was on the floor until the wife came home. I believe that she saved my life that time as she licked my hand every time I blacked out and brought me back to consciousness. Once she knew I was back she just leaned against me to keep me warm.

Damn Mick.... all my best to you and yours in this bad time. Been there myself a few times. The ache lessens and the memories remain strong.

Sorry to here this

Today is 1 week. She left us at 12:30 last Thursday.

I am starting to get back to normal but I find it hard to go into a room or walk around the house and not find Fremiet waiting for me somewhere.

A piece of my heart breaks for all pet owners that lose their loved ones. I've been there and will be there again in a few short years. I take great comfort in the idea of the rainbow bridge. I truly believe we'll see our best friends again one day. Stay strong, just as your pup was for you. We're here for you Turtle.

Top Bottom