What's new

A new razor, again.

Good morning, while not a newbie with DE's and have been having a SE Saturday shave for the last 8 months I had the bright idea to get myself a feather SS non folding handle to try for my first straight razor shave. Does anyone have any sage advice or good ideas for me? Also bought some Feather AC Pro Guard blades with it. I will be on vacation for a week so I am thinking this would be a good time to try a new razor!

Take your time. Make your lather a little runnier than you would with a DE or SE. Do a lot of skin stretching . Keep spine near your face (very shallow angle). Relax and enjoy. Good luck.

Take your time. Make your lather a little runnier than you would with a DE or SE. Do a lot of skin stretching . Keep spine near your face (very shallow angle). Relax and enjoy. Good luck.

BSAGuy is right...

I have the folding model. The Pro blades are super sharp so take it slow at first and ... watch your ear ( experience talking here ).
You will like this razor once you get used to it.

mswofford

Rest in Peace
Welcome; Be sure to watch the excellent YouTube video by Lynn Abrams for a beginner tutorial on straight razor shaving.

No pressure, no pressure, noo pressuuurrreee. Oh and did I mention NO PRESSURE! Joking aside, if you apply any pressure at all, you will get cut. I have a Feather RG and get the sweetest shaves when I use it. Try to lift the lather off your face without touching your skin. You will be amazed if you use a light touch.

Alpster did not emphasise enough, no pressure! The Feather needs to be used like a hovercraft above you skin. Good luck!

The Feather is a DE blade mounted in a device that looks like a straight razor. But you are still shaving with a DE blade which is nothing like a ground steel straight razor. The angle is steeper and the edge is unforgiving. Shaving with a honed piece of steel is a very different experience that you should try next.

I would like to thank all for the advice and the links! I have survived several shaves with very minor bloodletting! I am still learning technique and going at it slowly but do enjoy the results.
Again I would like to thank this community for the great advice!

Top Bottom