What's new

Help to ID a straight razors.

My Mother gave me my Grandfather's straight razors, wording if anyone knows about them and can it be restored?

$IMG_5758.jpg

$IMG_5753.jpg

$IMG_5755.jpg$IMG_5755.jpg

Mike H

Instagram Famous
Unfortunately, both of those razors are gone. Nice heirloom shadow box razors, but IMO, not restorable to shave ready condition.

The second one is a vintage Thiers Issard Spartacus.
I had one and it was one of the best TI I've used.
It seems that the geometry of the blade could be corrected and you would end up with a 5/8 to 11/16 wide razor. I think it is worth it. I've gotten back razor in worth shape to shaveable conditions.

The first one is a different story. It looks like it was a narrow razor in the first place. Maybe one of these effileurs used to taylor a moustache. On this one the frown is such that if you restore a sane geometry, the blade goes below the shoulder. You could then ground the shoulder, but the blade left would be very puny. So that one I'd archive.

I don't think the Spartacus can be restored. It looks like it has a large crack in the blade toward the heel.

Mike

Grandfather had a good taste in straight razors. frame them and put them on display. I would love to have a heirloom straight myself shave ready or not.

I agree that the first one is beyond restore, but the TI, on the right hands, can be made into a nice shorty (pending on how long the crack is).

Congrats on the inheritance :thumbup1:

I agree that the first one is beyond restore, but the TI, on the right hands, can be made into a nice shorty (pending on how long the crack is).

Congrats on the inheritance :thumbup1:
The crack seems to be close enough to the heel that you can grind the blade Japanese style. Here is an example of a salvaged blade whose crack was more than one inch from the heel (so much larger than yours).

That would actually be closer in style to the gorgeous modern Spartacus razors (which are now shoulderless).

Attachments

• $blade.jpg
    $blade.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 15
Top Bottom