What's new

Willing to try str8

I'm committed to try wet shaving and str8 after 40+ years using electric shavers.
I bought a Dovo Shavette, brush, soap, styptic pen and AS to get started.
I'm taking it slow, WTG only, and concentrating on blade angle.
I'd like to learn using both hands, so the process will take a little longer.
I've read the tutorials and watched several vids on YouTube, a lot of good info.
I'd like to hear tips, suggestions and anything that can mantain my interest.

I've just ordered my first str8.

Have you looked at the 'straight razor place' forum? There's lots of excellent advice and experience there. Good luck in your endeavour. :wink:

Welcome to B&B! As a straight shaver myself, I'm always happy to see a new convert.

The learning curve is steep but worth the effort. Hang in there.

Just a note, shaving with a Shavette is NOT the same as shaving with a real straight. They give good shaves, it's just not the same experience (weight, balance, feel, etc.).

Enjoy the site and if you have any questions, just ask!

Welcome to B&B :thumbup1:

you could try brushing your teeth with your off hand until you are comfortable using it shaving

This is a great idea. In addition, you will find that it is not as hard as you expected. You are using fine motor skills and it is much different than throwing a baseball or something like that.
Welcome to the world of straight shaving! Just don't feel like you need to break any records for getting a BBS shave. Enjoy the learning experience and take your time. When I first started, I followed someone's advise and just concentrated on the sides of my face and learned to make a WTG and a couple of XTG passes. This builds confidence before you start working with the more challenging areas of the face.
However, I have read of others that started out shaving their whole face with a str8 at the very beginning. Just do what is comfortable...
Have fun!

There is also lots of excellent advice and experience here as well.

I've just ordered my first str8.

Have you looked at the 'straight razor place' forum? There's lots of excellent advice and experience there. Good luck in your endeavour. :wink:

I have used both and like you I learned on the shavette I found a real straight to be easier than the shavette. Take your time and become adept with WTG before XTG passes. If your beard is like mine and grows in every direction you may find the shavette better for E to W passes on your neck.

I typically use a favorite straight for 95 percent of the shave and a Feather Nape for the under the jaw line beard which grows and turns me into a contortionist even using both hands.

Tim

Thank all for the replies and gret advice.
One questions I have is weather a regular str8 is more forgiving than the shavette.
Also which brand and model could make a fairly good entry level str8

The switch to the str8 is totally worth it. I get consistantly better shaves than anyother method ive tried. Just remember to keep the blade angle in check, especially when going over the jaw line because your will have to turn your wrist to mantain the proper 30 degree angle. Good Luck

I started right out with a Feather AC. I have about 5 traditional str8s but hardly ever use them anymore....

Thank all for the replies and gret advice.
One questions I have is weather a regular str8 is more forgiving than the shavette.
Also which brand and model could make a fairly good entry level str8

The Dovo tortoise gets a lot of praise as being a great starter. The most important thing is to make sure that you have it honed by a honemeister so that you know you're getting a truly shave ready razor...really makes all the difference in the world.

Good luck! It's a lot of fun just watch out for RAD.

As others have said...a Dovo Special would be a good starter. Or an entry level Thier-Issard. www.classicshaving.com or www.vintagebladesllc.com have some very nice, new straights that you can get pre-honed.

I'd definitely get it pre-honed. That way, you'll know what a sharp razor feels like.

You'll also need a strop, as you must strop every day before you shave. www.thewellshavedgentleman.com is the place to go for this. Tony Miller makes an excellent product and his $30 starter strop is all you'll ever need.

Hope this helps. I really enjoy my straights.:biggrin:

I'm afraid I'm addicted already.
Just ordered this razor, it's the DOVO Genuine Ebony 5/8", and a red latigo "Apprentice"/Travel strop from The Well Shaved Gentleman

proxy.php

Top Bottom