What's new

Pen Review: Delta Fusion 82, Chatterley Celluloid Limited Edition

Delta Fusion 82, Limited Edition Celluloid, "Black Desert", Medium "Fusion" Nib (No. 06 of 16)

proxy.php

Chatterley Luxuries was running an excellent sale and I picked up this Chatterley exclusive, limited-edition, celluloid fountain pen at a considerable savings over the normal price.

First Impression
. Rating: 9
The elegant box, inserts, and graphics are very well done. The box showcases the pen nicely. It’s a little on the large size, so I’ll probably just stash it away, but it makes a good first impression. The pen itself is nicely nestled in a felt-covered cradle, well protected, and well displayed. Included in the box are three ink cartridges, and a converter was installed in the pen.

Appearance. Rating: 9
The pen is a classic cigar shape, totally machined from a block of brown and black mottled Celluloid. There are no end caps/jewels, either on the barrel or the cap; just a smooth, continuous line. The hardware (furniture) is gold plated and appears to be well done. The pocket clip is very tight and very solid. I took a point away because I’m not in love with the clip design...it looks a little odd.

Design/Size/Weight. Rating: 10
This is a substantial pen. Not oversize but probably not the best for someone with small hands. Being all Celluloid except for the clip, nib, and trim rings, it’s very lightwight considering its size. To me, it's a pen I could write with all day without fatigue.
Dimensions:​
Length Capped: 143mm, 5.63”​
Length Posted: 157mm, 6.2”​
Length Uncapped: 126mm, 5”​
Nib Length: 25mm, 1”​
Cap Diameter: 15mm, 0.58”​
Section Diameter: 10.8mm, 0.42”​
Barrel Diameter: 13.6mm, 0.53”​
Overall Weight (Filled): 25 grams​

Nib. Rating: 8
The Medium Fusion nib is stainless steel with a gold overlay attached (fused?) to a portion of the top. According to Delta, this gold overlay is supposed to improve the viscosity of the ink and somehow improve the ink flow. I have seen nothing that would support this claim. The nib itself is extremely smooth, and the ink flow is wet without being a gusher. The nib is a nail...very rigid with no noticeable flex or line variation. In performance, it reminds me of some vintage Sheaffer nibs; smooth but very stiff. Great for normal writing but not if you’re trying to get fancy.

Filling System. Rating: 10
Cartridge/Converter. A Delta-labeled screw-type converter was installed in the pen. Since it screws into the section instead of the common push-in converter, there should be no problems with the converter pulling loose and leaking, Because of this, I rated it a 10.

Cost and Value. Rating: 8
I purchased this on sale from Chatterley Luxuries and saved a considerable amount over their normal pricing. As a limited edition fountain pen, well made from high-quality materials, and with excellent performance, I gave it a 8. If the nib had some softness or flexibility, I would have given it a 9.

Conclusion. Total Rating: 9.0
I am very, VERY pleased with this pen. It’s made from beautiful, high-quality materials, with an excellent design, great attention to details, very comfortable in the hand, and performs great. If it only had a more flexible nib, it would be close to perfect. I plan on keeping this beauty in my regular rotation and giving it a lot of use!

Additional Photos:

Outer Box
proxy.php

Box Cover Off:

proxy.php

The Pen!
proxy.php

proxy.php

Writing Sample:
proxy.php

That's a very attractive pen. Great purchase and kudos on the even better price! I might have to copy your style...

The pen looks gorgeous. I am sure it writes well but i guess im surprised you are not writing in cursive. I think the nib is made for that

Top Bottom