What's new

The 3017 Martin de Candre Fest - It's Live!

I finally had a chance to use MdC and found it shaves as well as Williams or Arko so it's good stuff, just insanely expensive.

How long have you been using it? I thought this Fest just started not long ago. I thought mdc lasted like 6 months.

I've had mine for awhile and so my jar had a good head start...and no, I'm not enjoying it...getting great shaves but I love the variety of my shave soap collection...simply choosing to plow through this jar to get through it!

I should add that some years ago Mretzloff had a similar event for MWF...I plowed through that and regretted the decision then as well...but was glad when the puck was finally gone and it made me appreciate my collection more.

30-40% of my jar is gone, with great shaves day after day. Even the floppy Vulfix badger is having no problem making lather with this soap.

Holy cow! my consumption has been quite a bit less. At about a gram a day (or so) I will probably finish the jar in August*.

Ruckin

* unless TSA confiscates it from me. It (and me) are going to SanDiego tomorrow and several other places between now and August.

Last edited:
Holy cow! my consumption has been quite a bit less. At about a gram a day (or so) I will probably finish the jar in August*.

Ruckin

* unless TSA confiscates it from me. It (and me) are going to SanDiego tomorrow and several other places between now and August.

I count seconds, not swirls when I load the brush, so it's probably far more than you do. It works well for me, and trust me, I'm not intentionally trying to kill the soap quickly.

strop

Now half as wise
I too am using about a gram a day, and load more by looks than time. Great shaves, plenty of lather, and I'm sure that soft water makes a big difference. At this rate though, I am going to tire of this soap long before the jar is empty. It's been way too long since I used any DRH and I have several pucks calling my name!

I too am using about a gram a day, and load more by looks than time. Great shaves, plenty of lather, and I'm sure that soft water makes a big difference. At this rate though, I am going to tire of this soap long before the jar is empty. It's been way too long since I used any DRH and I have several pucks calling my name!

With an English accent! How can you resist?

How are we doing, gents? Who's still in?

I'm plugging along, and will be using a Somerset Simpson Eagle 2 in Pure this week. I will brave a face lather for the first couple of shaves, but may move to the bowl if my baby face can't handle the scratch.

I see glasss. :001_smile

For me, the last few days have seen a great deal of movement with this soap. I'm going to guess that I used this soap about 20 times before this 3017 attempt (which would bring me to about 62 shaves).
To be fair, I have been using my dense/soap killer brushes (M&F Chief,Paladin PK-47 & Amici)
Who knows how much longer this soap will last???

Last edited:
I see glasss. :001_smile

For me, the last few days have seen a great deal of movement with this soap. I'm going to guess that I used this soap about 20 times before this 3017 attempt (which would bring me to about 62 shaves).
To be fair, I have been using my dense/soap killer brushes (M&F Chief,Paladin PK-47 & Amici)
Who knows how much longer this soap will last???
I'm surprised at the speed you're going thru it. Based on nothing but internet experience, I thought that this stuff lasted for millennia.

I'm surprised at the speed you're going thru it. Based on nothing but internet experience, I thought that this stuff lasted for millennia.

I am known as a "Speed Demon" with soaps in the 3017 thread. :001_wub::001_wub::001_wub:

I usualy use dense brushes and really load my soaps very well, this would explain how I go through soaps so quick.

There's nothing like a little time with a dense brush to make a 3017 effort show progress. My face lather with the Eagle 2 in Pure was excellent...a little scratch, but the knot isn't so dense as to be unpleasant.

Still here. After 51 shaves the jar is about 56 grams lighter than when I started. I will probably be the last person still working on their jar well into summer. If I want to see the bottom of the jar I need to turn it over and look at the jar from the bottom :001_rolle

Ruckin.

I know that most of us avoid Pure Badger brushes like the plague, since they are often scratchy and uncomfortable, but I must say that the Somerset Simpson Eagle 2 has been a fantastic face latherer the last 3 days. It loads easily, builds a lather quickly and is really pleasant to use. Compared to the Eagle 3 in Best from the Great Eagle Group Buy, density for this older brush is much less, but the resilience of the pure hairs allows the brush to strike a nice middle ground between flow through and floppiness.

I know that most of us avoid Pure Badger brushes like the plague, since they are often scratchy and uncomfortable, but I must say that the Somerset Simpson Eagle 2 has been a fantastic face latherer the last 3 days. It loads easily, builds a lather quickly and is really pleasant to use. Compared to the Eagle 3 in Best from the Great Eagle Group Buy, density for this older brush is much less, but the resilience of the pure hairs allows the brush to strike a nice middle ground between flow through and floppiness.

Only one I ever owned was a Vulfix and frankly...it sucked...YMMV of course :)

I was also a wee Newb at the time...should try another one out now that I'm a little longer in the shave tooth...

Top Bottom