What's new

The 3017 Martin de Candre Fest - It's Live!

I'm following this thread with great interest while awaiting my first order of MdC to arrive.

I do have to say this thread needs more pictures :)

I'm following this thread with great interest while awaiting my first order of MdC to arrive.

I do have to say this thread needs more pictures :)

$IMG_0275.jpg
Here you go this is what I am using this week in the hotel. I am enjoying the shaves but am slowly learning that I prefer a brush that is a bit bigger than the one I take on travel.

Ruckin.

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

I in no way intend to dissuade anyone from single-mindedly pursuing their MdC commitments. No sir.

but...

As a lover of MdC, a real lover, a flat out fan, I also became interested in Le Pere Luciene soap. Now that you have all had 21 days with MdC, does anyone have a comparison of it with Le Pere Luciene?

By the way, a little hint for those of you who love the fragrance of MdC (particularly the original): Myrsol Agua Balsamico is a near match for the fragrance, and is an absolutely wonderful product for skin care. A splash of if in the palm mixed with a dab of Myrsol Emulsion is the benchmark for me of skincare.

shega

I have tried both MdC and LpL and IMHO the LpL provides a creamier lather that moisturizes my face better than MdC. Don't get me wrong, they are both great soaps, but LpL to me is a bit better in the areas mentioned. MdC does lather a bit easier but LpL is no slouch when it comes to ease of lather. I would put the slickness of both soaps on par.

I have tried both MdC and LpL and IMHO the LpL provides a creamier lather that moisturizes my face better than MdC. Don't get me wrong, they are both great soaps, but LpL to me is a bit better in the areas mentioned. MdC does lather a bit easier but LpL is no slouch when it comes to ease of lather. I would put the slickness of both soaps on par.

I have had a strange experience with LPL disappearing shortly after lathering it on. I cannot even see the lather unless I get close to the mirror. Took me a couple shaves to realize it was vanishing. This is new to me.

:biggrin:

I'm really enjoying this soap, getting consistently excellent shaves. If only it had some semblance of moisturizing going for it.

+1

I am really enjoying this soap this go round. I am getting around the lack of moisturizing by using Speick AS followed by some RR After Shave Wax.

Quick question. I just tried a sample of Martin de Candre yesterday and it seemed like it's easy to add too much water. I was bowl lathering and adding a little water, working it in and then feeling for slickness. After adding the usual amount of water, I noticed instead of slickness was grippiness. I rinsed my brush and bowl and then started fresh. This time I used only one small drip of water and it was ready to go. Anybody else notice this?

Quick question. I just tried a sample of Martin de Candre yesterday and it seemed like it's easy to add too much water. I was bowl lathering and adding a little water, working it in and then feeling for slickness. After adding the usual amount of water, I noticed instead of slickness was grippiness. I rinsed my brush and bowl and then started fresh. This time I used only one small drip of water and it was ready to go. Anybody else notice this?

I noticed this as well. It took me a while to realize I was adding too much water, once I reduced the water and had it dialed in my lathers were much better.

Another great shave last night. Swirled for 10 seconds, unknown amount of swirls. Only did two passes on the face and slathered the leftover lather per usual. Had a tonne left. I think on my two pass nights I need to really dial it back so I'm not wasting as much. I know, I know, we're 3017ing this, not saving it. Doesn't make me want to waste it though!

Cheers,

M.

Finished my 1 oz sample of MdC. Consistent excellent shaves every day. I liked the soap more after letting it air out a bit. On to a 1 oz sample of MdC Fourgue.

Quick cold shave this morning as the whole crew had a brunch date with some old friends. Wasn't happy with the lather look, but slick as oil and a great shave. Was really worried before I started as I'm used to my yogurty lather. Definitely happy with the result (as was swmbo!)

Cheers

M.

I've had a little too much water in the brush the last couple of days, and the initial load was kind of foamy. Once I got to face lathering, the lather pulled together really well. It really is a very forgiving soap when it comes to getting a decent lather.

This morning marked shave number 37 and it was a pretty good shave. The MdC was super but in my 3017 blade journey I have moved onto Bic and using the ATT H2 baseplate and it might take me a day or two to get used to this combo.

I am pleased that I am finally seeing an indentation in the top of the jar. It looks like my consumption is slowly increasing and I am up to about 1g per shave.

Ruckin.

Been going full boar (lol) since we started...slowly chipping away at this beast of a puck and I'm with Bob...can't do it without a moisturizer afterwards...

I have been enjoying this soap more and more each day. I have gone from, no way will I buy this again, to I can't wait to buy this again. Lol

Lovely shave again last night for full head and three pass on face. Maybe I have weird skin but with hard water and in the cold winter we've had this year I never feel the need to use a moisturizer afterward. May also help that I shave at night before sleep. Who knows?

Cheers,

M.

I broke out my Rooney Heritage Beehive this week, which I have not used in more than a year, and was one of the first Heritage 2 bands to hit the streets about 5 years ago. It has always been a phenomenal brush, and did not disappoint with MdC. After working with synthetic last week, I've had to adjust the technique a bit, but I have gotten a couple of stellar lathers.

Top Bottom