What's new

The 3017 Martin de Candre Fest - It's Live!

This happens to me as well. I have 2 brushes that are standouts and that's one of them, the other is a Thater 4292 3 band. While not in the 3017 I have been using my MdC Brain bowl 90% of the time since I got it in August and am still not into the bowl. I have roughly 4mm till I get level with the bowl. I have no doubt this will have last me well over 12 and probably around 15-18mos. I have to say I still am not tired of it but, about once every 7-10 days I do enjoy a change of pace. Most often Tabac or HTGAM Chocolate Bourbon.

Gregg or anyone,

Do you know if they make the brain bowl in both original Lavender and Fougere? I bought one that was sold as Fougere but having a hard time confirming its existence from MdC's website. I have never smelled either before so I have no clue. Ha. The one I have has lavender hints but I read that Fougere smells similar to the original.

Last edited:
Had my first experience with MDC Fougere today. Purchased directly from company; strength of US dollar helped with price. Observations, though perhaps not original, are as follows. Smell in the jar is very strong, mellowed a lot when aerated. A pleasant reminder of being in the woods after a rain shower. Swirled more than three times, but less than 30. Used a Thater 2 band and bowl and created a great lather. Got a very protective coating on my face. Used a Weber with a GSB. Very smooth shave. Summary - it lived up to the hype.

Last edited:
Gregg or anyone,

Do you know if they make the brain bowl in both original Lavender and Fougere? I bought one that was sold as Fougere but having a hard time confirming its existence from MdC's website. I have never smelled either before so I have no clue. Ha. The one I have has lavender hints but I read that Fougere smells similar to the original.

Brent, I believe the brain bowl is only available in the original, lavender-based scent.

Had my first experience with MDC Fougere today. Purchased directly from company; strength of US dollar helped with price. Observations, though perhaps not original, are as follows. Smell in the jar is very strong, mellowed a lot when aerated. A pleasant reminder of being in the woods after a rain shower. Swirled more than three times, but less than 30. Used a Thater 2 band and bowl and created a great lather. Got a very protective coating on my face. Used a Weber with a GSB. Very smooth shave. Summary - it lived up to the hype.

Yup, it really is a great performer. It is the easiest lathering soap I've used.

Brent, I believe the brain bowl is only available in the original, lavender-based scent.

Thanks for the confirmation. That's the conclusion I have come to. Regardless, MdC original smells and performs swell. I may still need to grab the Fougere in a jar as this is now one of my favorite soaps. I also enjoy Cella, Speick, MWF, Tabac, Dr Harris, and RazoRock. The MdC is special though and has made its way to the top of the rotation.

This soap is just about done. One, maybe two shaves left. :001_smile

I have had this soap since Dec 2013 and have used it here and there before this 3017 effort. I will try to guess how many times before I give my final numbers.

MdC is no more. I went from having to stop my first 3017 attempt because of bad irritation, to using it here and there, to making a second attempt and loving this soap. I found for me that strong scented soaps really give me problems. So, I left this soap open for a very long time before I tried it again. Then I only used it for one shave and would not go back to it for a week. I also used it to break in my new Paladin PK-47. By the time beginish started his 3017 thread I was ready to give it another try.
I am so glad I gave this soap another try. It has became a favorite and something I will buy again one day. The only thing it was lacking for me was post shave feel. This is not a good soap for me to use in the winter. For a while I had to add some after shave wax to help with the skin dryness. I also had to switch to a good,healing AS (Speick). This really made a big difference for me.
So, to sum up, I really enjoyed this soap and am very glad I didn't give up on it. Also, next time I think I will use it in the Spring or Summer due to its drying affects on my skin.
Total shaves: 81

I held my jar up to the light this morning, and can see the light. I expect to break through to the bottom of the jar shortly.

Last edited:
Typically fantastic three pass face and head shave last night. I'm getting worried that I haven't had a bad shave yet. Trying not to get too over confident with the ease of lather building and make sure I don't stop at the first explosion of lather and work it until the second one happens.

Cheers,

M.

strop

Now half as wise
I held my jar up to the light this morning, and can see the light. I expect to break through to the bottom of the jar shortly.

Bob, did you start with a new jar? If so, that's impressive. I'm not even down to the wide part of the jar!

Bob, did you start with a new jar? If so, that's impressive. I'm not even down to the wide part of the jar!

It had about 5 shaves on it when I started. I'm just doing a twenty second loading. It seems I can't not kill it, even if I'm not trying.

The bottom of the jar is now barely visible. I cut back on the loading to about 15 seconds today, and with the larger, denser knot of the Savile Row 3824, I had a harder time releasing it. I'm not happy to be using this soap up so fast, but it is what it is, and it works for me, so, so be it.

I am shaking my brush, then giving it a squeeze to remove most of the water. It seems i get a much better, slicker lather, although it does not look like alot, i get 4 passes and a touch up. I love this soap !

Awesome two pass face shave today. Still waiting on a crappy one.

Bob, I'm amazed at how fast you're plowing through this soap. Well done sir!

Cheers,

M.

Awesome two pass face shave today. Still waiting on a crappy one.

Bob, I'm amazed at how fast you're plowing through this soap. Well done sir!

Cheers,

M.

No one is as surprised as me, Matt. It just tells me that MdC is a lot softer than I thought

I could easily see the jar lasting almost a year. It's large and you don't need much. I'm not in, but here are two that I've got going. My experience and mystifying question is on a separate thread since it doesn't fit here. Basically, these two soaps are two different formulations IMO and I am perplexed and asking the forum what's going on? :blush:

View attachment 562590

Well funny on me. I had ordered in French, so what I got was French receipts in container and, apparently, the sample was a 50g bar of bath soap and all I saw was the word for sample (didn't know it was bath soap, because I didn't bother reading what they sent me, much less translating it), not a 50g sample of Fougere shave soap.

REVIEW OF MdC BATH SOAP: Doesn't work so well as a shave soap :lol:
REVIEW OF MdC SHAVE SOAP: Great! :laugh:

I could easily see the jar lasting almost a year. It's large and you don't need much. I'm not in, but here are two that I've got going. My experience and mystifying question is on a separate thread since it doesn't fit here. Basically, these two soaps are two different formulations IMO and I am perplexed and asking the forum what's going on? :blush:

View attachment 562590

My 1 oz sample of MdC Fourgue finished today. Great soap. Agree that it is a bit drying. The scents of the MdC and Mc Fourgue to my nose are similar and remained strong even after airing out for weeks. As others have said MdC is very easy to lather and delivers consistent, close shaves. My pace was 2 oz in a little over two months.

Moving back to the mainstream 3017 thread. Bob, thanks for putting this together.

The ring around the bottom of the jar keeps getting smaller and smaller. The shaves continue to be great, but I'll miss this soap when it's finished. Fortunately, I have a new jar of Fougère in the medicine cabinet. That will probably make it into the rotation in 2017.

Could one of you gentlemen who have finished a 200 gram jar please weigh the empty jar (jar only without top). Trying to figure out how much I have left. Thanks.

Top Bottom