What's new

The 3017 Martin de Candre Fest - It's Live!

My jar of MdC went to Europe at least twice and several places in the US. So far the only checked luggage mishap that was shaving related has been my tube of nivea pre-shave spooged all over the zip lock bag it was in. The MdC, aftershave, and everything else seems to have been just fine. I normally travel with fountain pens and have so far avoided any spills there as well but the pens are always carry-on. I did have a Rimowa Topas destroyed last year but the contents of the suitcase were okay.

The biggest issue in my mind is if the jar is mostly full and you are running up against weight limits (a full jar is about a pound).

Ruckin.

Captain's log, star date unknown. It's been another week with no end in site. The crew are getting the anxious, worried even. I'm keeping them motivated as best I can, the trial seems almost endless. Looking back progress can definitely be seen, but it takes the long view to see it. Daily checks just bring down morale. Staying strong, another week. One day we'll have a breakthrough. I know it. One day...

Cheers,

M.

Another week down, only one shave though (full head and three pass face ) . I took last weekend off so the wife and I could decide if I should stop shaving for a while. Ya, no. That's not happening. I was not happy and she was even less so. LOL.

Keep on trucking!

Cheers,

M.

I dream of one day owning a jar of MdC...one day...its just such a large outlay initially. I know it lasts forever...but with a new baby at home, haha, $90 aussie bucks, delivered, is just insane for a soap.

A couple more shaves in with another later tonight. Still no bottom. As it stands with the few off days I've had I think I've shaved for three months straight using this soap. We just over six months of every other days shaves. I kinda wish I had a small scale so I could see how much or Little product I'm actually using each shave.

Either way, the only bad shaves I've had in the last six months have been due to technique or crappy blade. And I can count all those times on one hand. Not bad at all.

Cheers,

M.

So 1 month into my 3017 attempt on a 200g jar of Fougere, shaving mostly everyday with the odd off day without a shave maybe once a week, I am just ever so slightly below the lip now (maybe 1mm, if even that). It is going to take a while, but I don't care. This stuff puts a smile on my face every day. Sometimes I find myself just opening the jar and smelling it to brighten up my afternoon! Haha!

Missed my weekly update so here's the 10 day update! Tonight will be my last shave with MdC before I go down to San Francisco for a week long conference. I said at the beginning of all this that I wouldn't be bringing the soap with me on any trips to save in luggage weight and I'm going to stick to that since the soap STILL hasn't cracked the bottom. Plus I plan in cheating this nex5 week with some Nancy Boy which isn't available up here.

Overall shaves have been great. Same theme, different days.

Cheers,

M.

So 6 weeks in and I am getting scared that I am not going to be able to ever go back to another soap... I am absolutely loving this stuff! I am also finding myself loading it like I stole it rather than trying to use as little as possible. By no means do I need to be doing this, but MAN OH MAN!!! It is so luxurious I just can't help myself! I have posted a couple pics to show you the difference between the brand new, untouched jar of the original scent vs 6 weeks of almost daily heavy loads from the jar of fougere. I just love this stuff!!

$soap.jpg$soap2.jpg

My jar of Fougère lasted 112 shaves, I kind of wish I didn't load as heavily as I did. I found the jars durable enough to make a 4-5 trips in my checked luggage with no problems. I am looking forward to using the original.

Ruckin

Starting to notice a pronounced dishing in the middle of my jar... A dent is being made! WooHoo!!! Sure enjoying myself still. Look forward to smelling that scent everyday...

My dent is still there. Still haven't broken through to the bottom yet. Hopefully soon but I doubt it. LOL. I took a week off when I went to San Francisco the week before labour day and judging by how long this had lasted I know I'll be taking another break for the month of November when I go to the UK. I said at the beginning I wouldn't be travelling with this soap. I honestly didn't think it would last until November though!

Cheers,

M.

My jar of Fougère lasted 112 shaves, I kind of wish I didn't load as heavily as I did. I found the jars durable enough to make a 4-5 trips in my checked luggage with no problems. I am looking forward to using the original.

Ruckin

Oh man, are you using a brass brush to shave or something? I can't imagine tearing thru MdC that quickly. I've had my jars since March, Using them several times per week and I haven't even gotten below the threaded portion of the jar yet.

Oh man, are you using a brass brush to shave or something? I can't imagine tearing thru MdC that quickly. I've had my jars since March, Using them several times per week and I haven't even gotten below the threaded portion of the jar yet.

I wouldn't say it was a brass brush. I believe I was using a Simpson #58 at the time. I was relatively new to wet shaving at the time and the soap I was using prior to the MdC required loading for a very long time. I was seriously overloading the brush - probably to the point of being very wasteful. I used 1.8g per shave at the time... Fast forward to today and I am just in the process of finishing some MdC LeDomino (60g) and am using about 0.8 +/- grams per shave. I load the brush in 5-7 seconds instead of the 30-60 that I was using before...

The second most common thing I heard as a new person (first being low/no pressure) was load more product as a way of fixing lather issues. In addition, the initial years of the 3017 thread there seemed to be an emphasis on how fast you can burn through soap so you can get to the next. Now the emphasis on the thread seems to me to be working with the soap long enough to be able to get the best possible shave rather than just "using it up".

I would need to go back through this thread but there are others that finished their jars faster than I did. I have another 200g jar of MdC that I will pull out some time in the future and I am sure it will last alot longer the second time around. While I am using 3017 to work through my excessive queue of soaps (55 at current count) I am mostly interested in making each shave the best I can with what I have on hand.

Ruckin.

Top Bottom