What's new

The 3017 Martin de Candre Fest - It's Live!

Been going strong since the start. Five good shaves so far and about to start on the sixth. Am probably over-loading but I don't really care...have too many soaps and it's time for this one to go down!

So far I've used the 2014 B&B LE
Chubby 2 in Best
B&B Omega

Last edited:
Started my jar of MdC scented yesterday. It weighed 384g without the lid.

Used my Thater 49125/2 yesterday and face lathered. It was okay. I loaded for maybe 20 seconds until I had a nice paste on the tips and worked the lather, but a lot of it got sucked into the knot. I had to squeeze it out to get enough for three passes, and it was not well mixed. Afterwards, the jar measured 383g.

Today I used my Plisson synthetic, and it was much better. I face lathered and built a nice first pass. A bit thin on the second pass as the lather was running out in the brush. Squeezed and had enough for a third pass, although it was on the thin side.

I love my expensive badger brushes...but my synthetics just plain make better lather. They build up lather quicker than a boar or badger, have softer tips than most boars and badgers, release lather better than most boars or badgers...ugh. I really wish Plisson had a bigger synthetic brush. I just want to store even more lather in the knot. Crazy, right? Tomorrow I think I will bowl lather...maybe I will use one of my boars or maybe my 25mm Muhle synthetic.

Anyways, the lather is much better than MWF on average, and we're only on day two. MWF had a handful of amazing quality lathers and about ten times as many duds.

Also...measured at 383g today again after the shave. So it seems that I'm using less than 1g per shave, but we are very early on here.

Double also...not sure if I will 3017 the whole jar, but I'll go through February at least.

I appreciate your thoughts on brushes. I use a rotation of vintage EverReady "pure badger" brushes with original knots, including one that belonged to my late dad. I expect I could get a better shave with some synthetics, and that the synthetics will continue to improve, while badger brushes will be what they are.

But I also enjoy wooden boats, having owned several, and three made of fibreglass. I used to have a tee shirt with the motto "Real men don't play with plastic boats". Perhaps I should get a comparable one for shaving. Oh -- and I enjoy music on LP records.

For me there are some things that there is just a "rightness" about. Badger brushes are among them.

Shaved last night. Probably type worst shave of my life since switching to wet shaving. I used a new (to me) SE and we did not agree. My face and head are still irritated. I've had less irritation when shaving with a dull straight razor using MdC! It's just ridiculous. I was getting irritated right from the first pass. Did I stop and change razors? Of course not! I'm stubborn like that. :)

I'm looking forward to Saturday night's shave as it will be a return to my DE.

Cheers,

M.

I had about 3 extra minutes this morning and didn't just slap on the ASB right after my shave, just so I could get a feel for the post-shave feel from MdC. Keeping in mind that it's 15 F and extremely dry in my area right now, my skin felt very dry postshave. I did not have the same smooth but soft feeling that I got from Provence Sante (which contains shea butter). Instead, the skin was smooth and dry, so for today at least, put me in the "MdC can be a bit drying" camp. We'll see if that evolves over the next few months as the seasons and humidity change.

International love fest today:

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423326206.775980.jpg

Used my Bk8 for the first time, bowl lathering. It's pretty floppy but soft. Reminds me of a Rooney.

Used two razors today. Been getting some tugging and irritation with the R89 lately. Maybe a bad blade have to remember to change out.

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423326270.266172.jpg

As of today I will be giving MdC another try. I tried to 3017 it before and had to stop after 5 shaves. Since then I have "Aired it out" and used it now and then for a single shave with no problems. We shall see if I can use it for long periods, or it will be just a "now & then" soap for me.

I think I may be joining Brian shortly...

In the past I've had great shaves with MdC, but throughout this challenge I have had only decent shaves compared to other soaps. Maybe the Kool-aid isn't as sweet this time around or maybe the move to softened water is effecting my lathering, but it's just not as "great" as I remembered it.

I switched to the L'Occitane Plisson synthetic brush for the next week. Even though it didn't scrape a ton of soap out of the jar, it worked into a really nice lather this morning. I'm getting that explosion now, Mark. Just keep feeding it water. Unlike some soaps, this has not had a bad effect on slickness.

I shaved this morning and had a marvelous shave, Post shave feel, slickness and a wonderful rich lather, just like yogurt. I will go thru the steps I take with this soap which I love !
1. Bloom the soap while you are in the shower, put a handful of warm water on the jar
2. Soak your brush for a minute or 2, then shake out
3. Load your brush for about 30 seconds to a minute
4. Go to your bowl and let it build, takes a minute or 2, you can sprinkle some water in, but you should be ok. The lather is rich and goes on with enough for 3 passes and touch ups.

Good Luck and don't give up on this soap which in my opinion is the best soap out there.

I decided to FACE LATHER with the Kent BK8 today. It was a little floppy, but eventually I worked up enough for three strong passes, plus another half pass or so left in the brush.

I left the soap just a touch drier than I have been lately, and it worked very well. I was trying for that slick looking lather before and maybe I compromised on the cushion. It still rinsed very easily off the razor, no clogs at all.

Soap measured 375 today from 384 at the start, still right around that 1g per shave mark.

I have been out of commission since the middle of last week. My face has been very dry and I have some ingrowns and irritation that I need to get cleared up. I am not saying that the MdC is the culprit, but I definitely won't be confusing it with a moisturizing face soap any time soon.

Nine straight shaves with MdC, and going good. I've been playing around with load times, amount of water I add, etc.

I don't' really care for the jar design with the soap coming all the way up to the top, plus the "neck" that tapers down a little bit for the lid to screw on is going to making lathering a chore later. I might see if I have another container I can use. I have my trusty cheese grater from Goodwill I can use to grate it into another container.

MdC is very soft and smooth, so you don't need to grate it at all. Just scoop it into whatever container you choose, pat it down lightly, and that's that. I keep most of my MdC in the container with the lid on, and transfer 50g into a wooden bowl until it is done.

I always get plenty of lather for my 3+ passes with a damp brush, no blooming, 30 second gentle load with a badger. All the qualities people trumpet about MdC are true for me. It is remarkable. This way of loading almost never goes beyond .6g, sometimes half a gram per shave. I can't explain why it takes so little, because I typically use 3g per shave for Razorock soaps. I am one of the few that believe I could get a year of shaves from a single jar of MdC. Generally, I get about 35 days from a tub of croap.

One tip that may be worth some trial for those of you trying to dial it in (see if it works for you, too): Start with very little moisture: don't bloom it, and use a damp brush, fully shaken out. Then, load gently with just the tips for 30 seconds. No question about it, this brings more than three copious lathers with my sort of hard water.

By not blooming the soap, it is completely dry when you begin to load, which loads less, but loads enough. This has worked for me, and I am usually a guy who will load like crazy, often for a minute or more. With MdC that would be a pointless waste, as I still have excess lather after dry/damp loading for 30sec.

Nine straight shaves with MdC, and going good. I've been playing around with load times, amount of water I add, etc.

I don't' really care for the jar design with the soap coming all the way up to the top, plus the "neck" that tapers down a little bit for the lid to screw on is going to making lathering a chore later. I might see if I have another container I can use. I have my trusty cheese grater from Goodwill I can use to grate it into another container.

Took down 8 days of growth today for my first MdC fougere shave of the 3017 fest. I do feel the drying effect that others have noted. It's also not the slickest of soaps IMHO. However, as always, the protection from the blade was outstanding and my skin was not irritated in the least.

On a separate note I used a monster chubby 3 Manchurian and loaded for 45 seconds or so. I had plenty of lather but you can definitely economize this soap by using a smaller, more efficient brush. I may be going through this soap at a rate of a few grams per shave. Only time will tell.

One tip that may be worth some trial for those of you trying to dial it in (see if it works for you, too): Start with very little moisture: don't bloom it, and use a damp brush, fully shaken out. Then, load gently with just the tips for 30 seconds. No question about it, this brings more than three copious lathers with my sort of hard water.

By not blooming the soap, it is completely dry when you begin to load, which loads less, but loads enough. This has worked for me, and I am usually a guy who will load like crazy, often for a minute or more. With MdC that would be a pointless waste, as I still have excess lather after dry/damp loading for 30sec.

I'll second this as it's the same way I get my best lathers from this soap. I start with just the damp brush then add water after. No blooming necessary and I have very hard water. At my last house we had a nice water softener and I lathered the same way with the same results.

Last night shaved again (had to skip Saturday due to the irritation) . Great shave with the DE. Loaded for 20 seconds and had enough for three passes, and if I had wanted I could have shaved my head with the remaining from the brush.

Cheers,

M.

Great shave with the L'Occitane Synthetic brush again. It's as floppy as all get out, but does a really nice job working up a face lather. I have a bunch of travel this month, and won't be taking along the jar. The La Toja stick will hold down the fort on the road.

Top Bottom